IGNORED

Jay Bothroyd

Jay Bothroyd is set for talks with DM within the next fortnight following bis release on a free transfer from Cardiff City. Expected to ask for wages of around 20K a week, what are your thoughts on this? Would be a similar signing to Beckford adding depth to the squad with the piotential of 8-10 goals a season. Certainly worth a "gamble" if you ask me

Edited by EvertonInsider

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of moving into our house, spending a fortune on most things and accepting someones old sofa bed to make do.

How many B list strikers will we have on our books?

I would rather see the likes of Vaughan, Apostleos, Baxter occupy the spaces on the bench being back up to Saha, Beckford and a top quality striker (which is what we need!)

Reminds me of moving into our house, spending a fortune on most things and accepting someones old sofa bed to make do.

I would rather see the likes of Vaughan, Apostleos, Baxter occupy the spaces on the bench being back up to Saha, Beckford and a top quality striker (which is what we need!)

Agree with that....just a bit confused about the sofa...is that where the subs are going to sit :mellow: ?

Agree with that....just a bit confused about the sofa...is that where the subs are going to sit :mellow: ?

Just the overall feeling of taking someone's sub standard stuff when you need quality for the rest of your setup. Being able to stick it on eBay when you realise how crap it is hardly makes it worthwhile.

Barring yakubu, we have recruited at the lower end of the striker Market too many times. Beattie, Johnson, bent. The time has come to bring in a 10-15m striker with proven all round ability. The yak was almost the answer. Saha when fit is great. Blimey, imagine discovering a shearer Mark 2?! Serious top 4 potential.

Sorry, but the vast majority of people thought that Beckford would be useless and he turned out to get 10 goals in his 1st season, with a goals to minutes played ratio only bettered by Drogba, Tevez and a couple of others I cant remember.

I dont care if they are rated B list, Beckford got 10 goals, Torres finished with 10 goals. Free - 10 goals, 50m 10 goals. Carroll - 35m 2 goals (though granted, hes been injured most of the time), Suarez has only got 4.... A-list / big money doesnt mean goals.

At risk of upsetting Mark, I wouldnt mind seeing him here, its just good business sense, just like DJ Campbell - cheap who dont demand massive wages, can score goals (I reckon 10 a season if played correctly) and if all fails, we can sell for a profit. I hate to use the term but its a no-brainer....

Sorry, but the vast majority of people thought that Beckford would be useless and he turned out to get 10 goals in his 1st season, with a goals to minutes played ratio only bettered by Drogba, Tevez and a couple of others I cant remember.

I dont care if they are rated B list, Beckford got 10 goals, Torres finished with 10 goals. Free - 10 goals, 50m 10 goals. Carroll - 35m 2 goals (though granted, hes been injured most of the time), Suarez has only got 4.... A-list / big money doesnt mean goals.

At risk of upsetting Mark, I wouldnt mind seeing him here, its just good business sense, just like DJ Campbell - cheap who dont demand massive wages, can score goals (I reckon 10 a season if played correctly) and if all fails, we can sell for a profit. I hate to use the term but its a no-brainer....

If we are going to fill the squad with sub standard players then we wont be able to afford the wages for any decent ones and there is only one direction the club is going to go in if thats the case

Campbell isnt good enough for this club, neither is Bothroyd and Im still not so sure Beckford is

If these 2 are the height of our ambition then Im sure Felli cant wait to sign his new contract ;)

I don't think we can get too excited by beckford in all honesty. Solid enough start but we are still talking about a b list striker. His overall contribution needs to improve. His goals per minutes played is a very flattering statistic when you are using lower minutes played, it gears each goal to a higher degree. You can't compare him to Suarez and Carroll or Torres as I would take any of them over him in a heartbeat. Look at what happened to Sunderland and conversely Aston villa with the loss and gain of Darren bent. Someone who has movement and is a deadly finisher. Beckford has been a solid enough buy, still very raw for a player who is approaching his peak. With dj Campbell and bothroyd you are buying a degree of baggage too. From what I see they have slight attitude problems.

There is a risk of squad disruption with the inclusion of more fringe players. That's what these two are. Free transfer? £2.5m a year in wages that would be best used towards 'quality'. I think we should have learned from vdm

Edited by Hafnia2

If we are going to fill the squad with sub standard players then we wont be able to afford the wages for any decent ones and there is only one direction the club is going to go in if thats the case

Campbell isnt good enough for this club, neither is Bothroyd and Im still not so sure Beckford is

If these 2 are the height of our ambition then Im sure Felli cant wait to sign his new contract ;)

Bothroyd and Campbell wages could be covered by Yobos alone. Then take Yak and Bily off the books and theres another "big" player if we can find a transfer fee. But reality check boys and girls, depressing as it is we are looking at buying cheap and selling for profits. I know its not nice, Everton deserve better etc but fact is, we dont have the money. So, that in consideration - 2 players for next to nothing who can bolster the squad, add some goals and potential for profit is just common sense.

And Beckford isnt going to be world class but he can score a bag load of goals. Thats what he is there for and thats all i want to see from him.

Bothroyd and Campbell wages could be covered by Yobos alone. Then take Yak and Bily off the books and theres another "big" player if we can find a transfer fee. But reality check boys and girls, depressing as it is we are looking at buying cheap and selling for profits. I know its not nice, Everton deserve better etc but fact is, we dont have the money. So, that in consideration - 2 players for next to nothing who can bolster the squad, add some goals and potential for profit is just common sense.

And Beckford isnt going to be world class but he can score a bag load of goals. Thats what he is there for and thats all i want to see from him.

How about yobos wages covering a striker who can come in and give us something we haven't got? Neither bothroyd or Campbell are anywhere near good enough for us. A free transfer is not a gift horse. These two players are lower prem level/championship level at best, I hate to admit it but next season you will see what spending good money on strikers gets you with that shower across the park. Suarez is going to be in the running for golden boot. Hernandez £8m - absolute quality.

In all seriousness fellaini, baines, arteta and co will be thinking it's time to go if we sign those two.

How about yobos wages covering a striker who can come in and give us something we haven't got? Neither bothroyd or Campbell are anywhere near good enough for us. A free transfer is not a gift horse. These two players are lower prem level/championship level at best, I hate to admit it but next season you will see what spending good money on strikers gets you with that shower across the park. Suarez is going to be in the running for golden boot. Hernandez £8m - absolute quality.

In all seriousness fellaini, baines, arteta and co will be thinking it's time to go if we sign those two.

With all that money we will have to sign one? Come on guys - reality check!

I see it as a good opportunity, if he is cack then someone is bound to pay 3-4 million for him in January or end of next season. We have to be realistic, there are few top strikers out there capable of 20+ a season and even fewer that we can afford!!

Saha, Beckford, Bothroyd + another would give us decent options though I know it doesnt look pretty.

Edited by EvertonInsider

My concern is we have played the last few seasons without a striker who can stick more than 15 goals away. We haven't had a consistent partnership, nothing that allows the team to develop a stretegy to get the best out of the players. Barring Yak in 2007-2008 the last player to score more than 15 was Kanchelskis back in 95-96.

Look at the players who did that this season: Berbatov, Tevez, Van Persie, and Bent. The first 3 helped their teams to stay in top 4 and the last one was arguably a striker whose former team dropped like a stone and new team rise up the league.

I am not saying we can afford them, but we should not be beta testers for unproven strikers again and again.

Are we going to have another season of wondering what would happen if we had someone who could stick the ball in the back of the net?

Bothroyd was poor for Cardiff at the end of the season, defenders had him sussed. Jones tried playing him in the withdrawn striker role as he was being marked way too easily. Was he not out drinkin less than 48 hours before the vital middlesboro game? - sorry wrong.

We do not have the luxury of testing 'free' transfer strikers with the reassurance that we can flog on for £2-3m.

It's an insult to the fans and the quality players we have at the club. Can't believe the mindset is to even consider them. As for Owen......

My concern is we have played the last few seasons without a striker who can stick more than 15 goals away. We haven't had a consistent partnership, nothing that allows the team to develop a stretegy to get the best out of the players. Barring Yak in 2007-2008 the last player to score more than 15 was Kanchelskis back in 95-96.

Look at the players who did that this season: Berbatov, Tevez, Van Persie, and Bent. The first 3 helped their teams to stay in top 4 and the last one was arguably a striker whose former team dropped like a stone and new team rise up the league.

I am not saying we can afford them, but we should not be beta testers for unproven strikers again and again.

Are we going to have another season of wondering what would happen if we had someone who could stick the ball in the back of the net?

Bothroyd was poor for Cardiff at the end of the season, defenders had him sussed. Jones tried playing him in the withdrawn striker role as he was being marked way too easily. Was he not out drinkin less than 48 hours before the vital middlesboro game? - sorry wrong.

We do not have the luxury of testing 'free' transfer strikers with the reassurance that we can flog on for £2-3m.

It's an insult to the fans and the quality players we have at the club. Can't believe the mindset is to even consider them. As for Owen......

I agree we need someone that can be a difference-maker upfront, but name some strikers with that ability that are a) available and b affordable. The only one for me knocking about is Diego Forlan in terms of a proven 15-20 goal a season man and even he is past his best now. The s***e have just paid 35 million for a man labelled "the next Mark Hateley" so god help the rest of us!!!!

Edited by EvertonInsider

I agree we need someone that can be a difference-maker upfront, but name some strikers with that ability that are a) available and b affordable. The only one for me knocking about is Diego Forlan in terms of a proven 15-20 goal a season man and even he is past his best now. The s***e have just paid 35 million for a man labelled "the next Mark Hateley" so god help the rest of us!!!!

The same could have been asked of Alex Ferguson before he pulled Hernandez out the bag for £8m.

Quote from Moyes: The scouts do a brilliant job at Everton, I work them hard and they have been looking at players up to a value of up to £10-15m but also looking at players for nothing and around the players at the £60,000 Seamus Coleman amount."

Then if he is true to his word, the potential acquisition of Bothroyd or Campbell is 'lazy'. Working the scouts hard in my opinion means getting someone in who has the ability to give us something we haven't got.

The same could have been asked of Alex Ferguson before he pulled Hernandez out the bag for £8m.

Quote from Moyes: The scouts do a brilliant job at Everton, I work them hard and they have been looking at players up to a value of up to £10-15m but also looking at players for nothing and around the players at the £60,000 Seamus Coleman amount."

Then if he is true to his word, the potential acquisition of Bothroyd or Campbell is 'lazy'. Working the scouts hard in my opinion means getting someone in who has the ability to give us something we haven't got.

and Bebe for the same....

Sorry but I can't even take this thread seriously. We are contemplating bring in a sub standard striker into our ranks at 20k+ a week because he is free?! Seriously folks adding bothroyd and Campbell to the likes of Vaughan, apostlos, Anichebe, Baxter, hope, silva, yak, Saha?!

Are we getting back to the john Spencer and Brett angel days? Average run of the mill strikers should not be brought in when you have youth not too far off the level they are at.

Sorry but I can't even take this thread seriously. We are contemplating bring in a sub standard striker into our ranks at 20k+ a week because he is free?! Seriously folks adding bothroyd and Campbell to the likes of Vaughan, apostlos, Anichebe, Baxter, hope, silva, yak, Saha?!

Are we getting back to the john Spencer and Brett angel days? Average run of the mill strikers should not be brought in when you have youth not too far off the level they are at.

How do you know what level they are?

By all accounts, JV should be ready but something isnt happening and is likely to leave, according to the media. Vellios looked good in a couple of sub appearances, Vic couldnt score a hooker, Baxter is unproven, Silva shining in Portugal but not had a chance, Yak wants to go, Saha is injured most of the time....

Im not saying I like the idea, but i dont think its necessarily bad either

Edited by Matt

How do you know what level they are?

By all accounts, JV should be ready but something isnt happening and is likely to leave, according to the media. Vellios looked good in a couple of sub appearances, Vic couldnt score a hooker, Baxter is unproven, Silva shining in Portugal but not had a chance, Yak wants to go, Saha is injured most of the time....

Im not saying I like the idea, but i dont think its necessarily bad either

I know that they are not yet ready for the first team and with time may come good, I also know that Bothroyd does not have the ability to play for Everton and he is at his peak now = maybe same level.

How do I know? My mate is a big Cardiff fan and said Bothroyd is poor. When Bellamy played alongside him, Bothroyd looked like an amateur, no movement or intelligence, average pace, sporadic finishing, and not a team player.

I don't like the idea, and I think it's a very bad one.

I know that they are not yet ready for the first team and with time may come good, I also know that Bothroyd does not have the ability to play for Everton and he is at his peak now = maybe same level.

How do I know? My mate is a big Cardiff fan and said Bothroyd is poor. When Bellamy played alongside him, Bothroyd looked like an amateur, no movement or intelligence, average pace, sporadic finishing, and not a team player.

I don't like the idea, and I think it's a very bad one.

fair enough. Ive only seen him play a few times in he scored a couple of great goals.

Being a Cardiffian I just want to throw my two pennies in here. A typical Bothroyd season will see him bag you plenty of goals in a short space of time, usually ten or 12 games, and usually at the start of the season. Then he'll get injured for a while, probably in and out of the physio's room every 6 weeks, and then if he does play again, will goal hang for most of the match, fall over at the slightest challenge, and winge until one random opportunity comes up and he gets the chance to score, in which case it might be a pearler, but that's a 1/50 chance.

The truth is, Bothroyd really needs a team and manager that will help him get the best out of him over the next 3 or 4 years. This means not playing him every game, keeping him fresh and sharp and using him in a 4-4-2 formation as a target man. That's when he scored the most goals for Cardiff, and although i could see him being a decent signing for us, if we had an injury crisis like we tend to do, he won't be a good enough replacement, and we'll suffer the same as this season, playing decent enough football in 2/3's of the pitch, but not in the third that matters.

For that reason he should either play in the SPL, where I'm sure he'll bag plenty of goals, or move to a team in the Prem that can afford to have him on the bench half the time. We need a striker that can come in and give louis some competition, not back him up, he's injured far too often to be relied on for the whole season.

On another Cardiff note chris burke is free and he is definately the kind of player we want, faster than he might seem, great at beating his man and rarely stops running. He doesn't track back as much as he should which is his only real flaw as a wide player, but throw him on with 20 minutes left and he will create at least a handful of chances.

Oh and hey guys...been a while :D