IGNORED

Everton In Talks Over Establishment Of A "free School"

Louis

If it works for you :)

Even though I went through some bullying and torment, I can't imagine not going to school, and while it wasn't pleasant I'm convinced it gave me experiences which were valuable lessons now I'm an adult.

Really? Coping with being bullied is a social skill we must learn? Would you honestly want your children to be bullied like you were? See, I don't get that argument - that being bullied, by a fellow student or, worse, by a teacher, or being bored waiting for the less competent in a class to catch up, are valuable social skills. Maybe it's just me.

Just picture these talented young footballers, bored all day in a government school and just waiting to get out on the field. They couldn't care less about other subjects. But...tell them they can attend the Everton academy, but to stay there they must excel in all subjects. Give them the opportunity to play football three or four times a day with players as good as they are, and see how they respond. They would love this and everyone wins. I agree with the quote that "we can't teach children; we can only help them to learn".

Edited by Cornish Steve

It's the same with many things in life. Each of us builds impressions based on what we hear and read, and they can sometimes be far from the truth. In my experience, it's not in the government's interest to lose control over the education of children, so they are rarely complimentary of homeschooling and encourage the media to convey that message.

I've had the pleasure of visiting over 70 different countries on business, and I'd say the majority are nothing like the impression I had of them from just reading the news. It's not difficult to understand how totalitarian regimes succeed, because we're very heavily influenced by the information we are fed by the media. The only real remedy is first-hand experience, and if that's prevented (by such governments) why are we surprised that populations appear to be deluded? Are we one such population? How would we know? Maybe it's just me that;s deluded! :)

Anyway, I think I've taken this thread down too much of a rabbit trail already! :)

completely agree, and I think I started to derail the thread mate ;)

Really? Coping with being bullied is a social skill we must learn? Would you honestly want your children to be bullied like you were? See, I don't get that argument - that being bullied, by a fellow student or, worse, by a teacher, or being bored waiting for the less competent in a class to catch up, are valuable social skills. Maybe it's just me.

Just picture these talented young footballers, bored all day in a government school and just waiting to get out on the field. They couldn't care less about other subjects. But...tell them they can attend the Everton academy, but to stay there they must excel in all subjects. Give them the opportunity to play football three or four times during the day with players as good as they are, and see how they respond. They would love this and everyone wins.

of course I wouldn't want my kids to be bullied, it's not a nice experience. But bullying is not confined to school, it can continue into the office or, unfortunately, at home. I've had to deal with some people in my job where my experiences have taught me to not back down and win any situations by outthinking them (as I was so young going up to people with 40 yrs experience and telling them how to improve, they got defensive and, sometimes, confrontational). Same thing with the boredom thing; it happens in all areas of life and you need to know how to deal with it.

As for the young footballers, they need a basic education like anyone else, in case the get injured or don't fulfill their potential (both highly likely). But, like you said, the Everton school will provide this and cater to their sporting desire.

completely agree, and I think I started to derail the thread mate ;) of course I wouldn't want my kids to be bullied, it's not a nice experience. But bullying is not confined to school, it can continue into the office or, unfortunately, at home. I've had to deal with some people in my job where my experiences have taught me to not back down and win any situations by outthinking them (as I was so young going up to people with 40 yrs experience and telling them how to improve, they got defensive and, sometimes, confrontational). Same thing with the boredom thing; it happens in all areas of life and you need to know how to deal with it.

Yes, we do need to learn, but there are better ways than allowing children to be bullied. I'm sorry you had to endure it. You shouldn't have had to.

Yes, we do need to learn, but there are better ways than allowing children to be bullied. I'm sorry you had to endure it. You shouldn't have had to.

absolutely, there should be better ways. Experience is the best teacher though, as you pointed out with your travels. I'm not sorry I went through it, it made me into the man I am today, and I'm awesome :P Edited by Matt

it's an open school isn't it?

I was asking because you mentioned before about the young footballers.

Pretty sure it's for kids that don't fit into regular education I.e. They've been excluded, have behaviour problems etc.

Although, I may be getting it mixed up with something else tbf.

I was asking because you mentioned before about the young footballers.

Pretty sure it's for kids that don't fit into regular education I.e. They've been excluded, have behaviour problems etc.

Although, I may be getting it mixed up with something else tbf.

didnt understand it that way, behavioural issues I mean. I thought it was an open school for those struggling with a normal curriculum whilst tailoring the schooling towards the strengths of the individual. I may well have completely misunderstood!

didnt understand it that way, behavioural issues I mean. I thought it was an open school for those struggling with a normal curriculum whilst tailoring the schooling towards the strengths of the individual. I may well have completely misunderstood!

Oh I didn't mean it was only for those with behavioural problems, just that they may feature along with those that don't fit with a normal curriculum.