IGNORED

Everton In Talks Over Establishment Of A "free School"

Louis

http://www.tes.co.uk...orycode=6087620

Gove in free-school talks with top football clubs

Three leading Premier League football clubs are planning to shift their focus from results on the pitch to results in the classroom by opening their own free schools.

Manchester City, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur have all held talks with officials at the Department for Education about establishing one of the new breed of schools.

Education secretary Michael Gove personally met representatives from Manchester City and Everton in a bid to promote the policy.

The TES understands that the clubs hope to create the schools to sit alongside their existing youth development programmes, allowing them to have greater involvement in the education of their top young players.

However, they would not be allowed to open schools solely for the use of their own players, with the rules demanding that free schools be open to pupils of all abilities.

The show of interest from the three clubs follows a statement from Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore last year that he could envisage schools being run by the league.

However, it is individual clubs that have made the running with the policy. Everton confirmed it is currently engaged in "confidential" negotiations with the DfE and officials from Manchester City and the Department are due to meet for a second time later this month following positive talks late last year.

Tottenham officials held a meeting with schools minister Lord Hill late last year, and the club told The TES it was still interested in setting up its own free school, which would primarily be targeted at youngsters on its youth development scheme.

However, the plans would depend on Tottenham pressing ahead with its planned new 56,000-seat stadium at Northumberland Park, next to the club's current home at White Hart Lane.

A Premier League spokesman said: "We are supportive of clubs getting involved in the free schools programme.

"All our clubs have education as a key element of the work they deliver in their communities. Alongside this, they work closely with local schools and colleges on ensuring their talented young players gain a thorough education alongside the coaching they receive."

Martyn Johnson, vice-principal of Woodside High School, which is located on White Hart Lane, close to Tottenham's ground, said the club ran a successful outreach programme - Spurs Learning Zone - with a number of schools.

But Mr Johnson said he would be concerned about clubs opening schools. "A football club is subject to its shareholders and that would be a concern to me," he said.

Mr Johnson added: "If it got taken over by another business that did not value the role of free schools, where would it leave them?"

He said that plans for a new school would have to take into careful consideration the impact on existing schools in the area.

A DfE spokesman said: "We welcome applications from all groups, including football clubs, wishing to set up free schools."

But he refused to confirm whether any of the clubs had submitted an application by the 1 June deadline for free schools that are looking to open in September 2012.

This is how the Financial Times explains the free school: "Free schools are charitable charter schools set up from scratch by private groups but funded by the state. They will have greater freedoms over management, teachers' pay and the school curriculum than most existing schools."

I have mixed feelings on this, I'm in favour of youth players having more exposure to a qualified football coach during their education but I'm uncomfortable with a football club (or the Premier League) setting an education agenda. There's also the small issue of the diversion of funding away from Liverpool's Local Education Authority.

The above article says that the school is open to people of all (footballing) abilities, which undermines the case for an Everton (branded?) school.

To me, Watford's tie-in with the Harefields Academy looks more beneficial than this, although I could understand why Robert Elstone or whoever looks at that example and believes that they could do better if they adjusted the curriculum to better suit the club's needs.

I agree with the trepidation over this, it reminds me of The Simpsons sketch of future classrooms with an education run by Pepsi Cola :lol:

However, I think that given the rate the sport is progressing, having a school run in principal by a football club could better balance the early development of young footballers without hampering their educational needs. The prospect of a qualified professional coach, rather than your mates dad, instructing young british players at an early level without detracting from the day to day learning seems potentially game-changing, as for example, I knew a lot of kids growing up quite adept at the game who wouldn't have had a chance at Cardiff's academy, and it's not that Cardiff's standards were the highest either...but maybe I'm missing the point with that.

In any case I'd rather see us make a new signing than build a school :blink:

"Chang Soda Presents Addition And Subtraction" with Troy McClure

Troy: Now, turn to the next problem. If you have three Chang Sodas and drink one, how much more refreshed are you? You, the redhead in the Everton FC school system?

Girl: Chang Soda?

Troy: Partial credit!

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2011/06/16/everton-fc-bid-to-open-free-school-92534-28888117/2/

Ian Ross, Everton’s director of communications and trustee of Everton in the Community, said: “I think the school initiative is something which probably underlines the belief of the club and the charity – that it's more than a club. The initiative goes hand in hand with the idea that the club is locally driven and employs local people and we are very proud of being a local club. The school will provide something invaluable for people who perhaps might miss out on.”

Asked if the school would only allow Evertonians to enter, Mr Ross added: “It would not be that exclusive. Allegiance to a football club would not be involved. The school would be under the banner Everton FC, but it would be a school for all. It will benefit thousands of people in the community for generations to come.”

Dr Denise Barrett-Baxendale, chief executive of Everton in the Community, added: “We wish to engage students with a new innovative approach to educational provision backed by the brand and values of Everton FC, which are already firmly embedded within our community scheme.”

• 3 months later...

http://www.evertonfc.com//news/archive/2011/09/29/progress-in-free-school-bid?utm_source=rss_everton&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_term=Progress+In+Free+School+Bid

Everton's official charity has been successful in reaching the financial stage of the Free School application process.

The Blues are the only Premier League football club to have progressed to this stage, after charity chiefs met with the DoE in August.

Clubs see projects like this as a brilliant way to increase there presence in the community, capture some of the kids (fans and players) as they grow up, get fantastic PR and increase their business footprint.

WHEN / IF stuff like this goes well, sponsors love it too - positive clubs doing good etc etc. It's simply another canny move to do more than just football (but just happens to do some good in the process too (potentially)).

There are of course, totally legitimate concerns about how far commercial entities should go - and I laughed at the comment about the Simpson and Coca Cola schooling - a VERY good illustration.

All in all thought, I think the clubs are being legitimate - just unsure about their actual ability / conflict of interest in the long term.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

as in 'head of schooling' ?

On some recent evidence, anyone with an IQ above room temperature could get such a position. What I mean is, on a recent quiz show, they had a school headteacher, and he didn't seem to know an awful much, struggled with quite fundamental questions, quite an alarming choice some governors make today.. Had a hard time with basic questions, and not only that, was a kid of about 28 years of age !?

I had to do a fucking double take when I first saw it.

• 1 year later...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2014/04/10/work-begins-on-free-school-site

Students and staff have gathered to celebrate work starting on an inspirational new development in the shadows of Goodison Park.

The £4.2 million development, which will become the new home of Everton Free School, will be constructed as part of the Government's Free School programme and will cater for a maximum of 200 students. The regeneration and redevelopment will offer the people of Walton a community campus. The first phase will open in September 2014.

This is excellent.

I've never understood why we allow the government to say what can and cannot be done with our children's education. It's the parent's responsibility - only - and we should be able to choose any option. (Can you tell that we homeschooled three of our children? :) ) All credit to Everton for moving forward with this and not allowing bureaucrats to stop the initiative.

Edited by Cornish Steve

This is excellent.

I've never understood why we allow the government to say what can and cannot be done with our children's education. It's the parent's responsibility - only - and we should be able to choose any option. (Can you tell that we homeschooled three of our children? :) ) All credit to Everton for moving forward with this and not allowing bureaucrats to stop the initiative.

homeschooled? Question, how did that affect their social development (from what I've heard, that's a big argument against)

homeschooled? Question, how did that affect their social development (from what I've heard, that's a big argument against)

They are much better adjusted socially! They got to spend more time with family, they participated in day-time sports, they enjoyed Spanish lessons with a local family, they had art lessons with a neighbour, and so on. Plus I got to choose the curriculum, including one class on the history and geography of the Tamar (so they understand their heritage). And they got to cook with my wife, help in the garden, calculate bills when shopping, join me sometimes in the office to see what employees do and run little office errands, and became competent in other daily life skills. What they didn't experience was bullying at school, unreasonable or incompetent teachers, unhealthy peer pressure, politically correct lessons, and feeling like they're on a conveyor belt. Our older daughter, for example, returned to a local school for the final four years and was valedictorian (which in the US, if you're not aware, is the top student who has to give a speech at graduation). She's now a doctor. The others have done just as well. The old argument about lack of social development is an old crock. It's no accident that homeschoolers tend to win all the science fairs, spelling bees, and so on. They also tend to score much higher on national tests.

And students attending this Everton school will reap similar benefits, while having the opportunity to realize their dreams. From my younger daughter's experience at a "magnet" school for the performing arts, there's nothing like allowing students to do what they love to spur them on in other subjects too. Despite spending half of her time singing and dancing, she's in the top ten percent for academics across all students, performing arts or otherwise. That's no accident. Would you have done all you could to succeed if it meant you could stay in such a school?

Edited by Cornish Steve

There are lots of resources and support groups out there. In the US, more than two million students are homeschooled. You can choose to buy certain curricula - Singapore Math is one that comes to mind - or you can invent your own. I created one class for classical music appreciation based on a daily radio show. The Spanish class was great, because the friend lived in Costa Rica for many years, and her children and others joined in the class. Our daughter ended up getting a double degree at university, one being in Spanish. You can do PE at the local YMCA, for example, or take advantage of empty swimming pools and sports fields while other children are all in school. You can build history classes around your own family history, for example, and my grandfather sent audio tapes of his experiences fighting in WWI. This brings history to life. You can choose whatever books you want for literature, based on the child's preferences. If they struggle, you allow them more time. If they excel, you allow them to jump ahead or move to more advanced material. Once the government is not involved, the shackles are off.

If it works for you :)

Even though I went through some bullying and torment, I can't imagine not going to school, and while it wasn't pleasant I'm convinced it gave me experiences which were valuable lessons now I'm an adult.

Guess I've just not been exposed to the homeschooling part to know enough.

It's the same with many things in life. Each of us builds impressions based on what we hear and read, and they can sometimes be far from the truth. In my experience, it's not in the government's interest to lose control over the education of children, so they are rarely complimentary of homeschooling and encourage the media to convey that message.

I've had the pleasure of visiting over 70 different countries on business, and I'd say the majority are nothing like the impression I had of them from just reading the news. It's not difficult to understand how totalitarian regimes succeed, because we're very heavily influenced by the information we are fed by the media. The only real remedy is first-hand experience, and if that's prevented (by such governments) why are we surprised that populations appear to be deluded? Are we one such population? How would we know? Maybe it's just me that;s deluded! :)

Anyway, I think I've taken this thread down too much of a rabbit trail already! :)