IGNORED

New pc build

Avinalaff

the only thing with hi tech computers is they are very tempramental, i had an Alienware Laptop for a while last year and had all sorts of problems with it, it would work for a month then break, then work, then break, but then it does originate from Dell so that probably explained a lot.

i just had a quick once over of your list though, and thats a nice setup

Edited by theprisoner

Sorry to hijack the thread again dude but I've come into a bit of cash so can now get a PC for the lad...

Advice please...how does this look in comparison to the one from ebuyer I linked to a few posts up?

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_6709wt_1139 or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-Core-3-2GHZ-GAMING-PC-GTS-450-1GB-Windows-7-/270732806686?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item3f08eeca1e#ht_14037wt_1139

Is it a good idea to go with these small companies or am I better off sticking with a big retail operation?

Any alternative ideas around the same price would be greatsmile.png .

Sorry to hijack the thread again dude but I've come into a bit of cash so can now get a PC for the lad...

Advice please...how does this look in comparison to the one from ebuyer I linked to a few posts up?

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_6709wt_1139 or this http://www.ebay.co.u...ht_14037wt_1139

Is it a good idea to go with these small companies or am I better off sticking with a big retail operation?

Any alternative ideas around the same price would be greatsmile.png .

I'd go with the previously linked one purely because I much prefer the Intel chips to the AMD ones. AMD have been behind the curve for years at this point.

I'd go with the previously linked one purely because I much prefer the Intel chips to the AMD ones. AMD have been behind the curve for years at this point.

Settled on that one now I think...just one last question...need a firewire input to download from my video camera which it doesn't have..if I buy one of these http://www.ebuyer.co...rd-pci-pci-3pfw is it idiot proof to fit? I put one into my last PC but don't remember howsad.png .

Looking forward to getting my 'New PC build' thread back to myself. shaking%20fist.pngcrying.giftongue.png

Nearly all went tits up. Ordered the motherboard, cooler, and hard drives from Dabs.com 7 days ago, so rang them up after seeing the same one classed as 'discontinued' on their site. It turns out they don't have the stock, nor will they get it.

I asked them at what point were they going to tell me, and the guy simply asked if I wanted to cancel the order. Needless to say I wasn't too chuffed, so had to scour around for the same parts again.

Managed to find some from Aria, and Scan. I've had 4 text messages from Scan already telling me what stage things are at, and confirmation mails from Aria.

The difference in customer service is evident. I wouldn't recommend buying from Dabs.

I've upgraded the hard drives, and now one is solid state from Corsair, and the other is a drive called 'Black Caviar'.

Will try and build it either tomorrow or Friday depending on what time the parts get here.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some difficult moments but new PC up and running and it's great, working beautifully.

Putting in the firewire card before I started it up caused a problem though....no video output so I had to shut it down, remove the card and start again...was fine then. Now I'm hesitant to try to put it back in. Could that have been a problem with the part or should I just not have put it in before initial set-up?

Then I decided to do a Windows reinstall on the laptop because it's got very buggy/slow/wouldn't install updates and it froze mid-process. Was left with no option other than pulling the plug and then got "BOOTMGR is missing" every time I tried to start it. Long search for recovery disks followed but eventually all was well and I got it back to factory settings....spent most of the last 24 hours installing around 200 windows updateslaugh.png .

• 2 months later...

I used to build my own PCs, found that in the end, the dwindling number of manufacturers meant that the few remaining manufacturers made so many, the price of their systems was cheaper than trying to build your own.

IF you absolutely want to spec every component, then sure, build your own, but the savings aren't what they used to be (IMO).

Off the shelf is usually ok, and adjust the graphics card / disk accordingly (if they let you spec it).

The only thing I do first is backup the drive then wipe it!... full of crap, and poorly configured (often).

Tip for new PC builders - get into 'portable apps' - makes for a much easier life.