IGNORED

Sin Bins in Football

On the back of yesterday I was talking to my mate about the Rodwell incident. We'll never know if that decision ultimately won them the game as they may have beaten us anyway, but it sure did shape the game and make the contest an uneven one.

Anyway I asked the question... Why couldn't Rodwell have been sent to a sin bin for an initial 5 minutes or so while the decision was reviewed independently?

Okay it would have still disabled us but would it have shaped the whole match? If he's committed the crime then uphold the red, if not then he can come back on and the ref can apologise at the final whistle. We're all human, we all make mistakes, this I understand, what I don't understand is that there are the people/ technologies to help in these situations, why not use them?

I'm not a huge fan of Ice-Hockey or Rugby - I watch them but don't fully understand the sin binning rules - but it seems to work in both sports.

Thoughts?

I was thinking about this too.

I reckon it needs to be explored as red cards change games and not for the better. Surely the entertainment of fans is paramount and there was little in yesterdays game for us after 23 minutes.

The red card is still an option for a blatant dangerous foul. It seems to work well in Rugby so should be discussed in relation to football

In an employment situation it would be common to suspend both parties on full pay while an enquiring investigation was made. If you send one to a sin bin, then perhaps send both.

The easy option is for the ref to look at the big screen, see an instant technological replay, and make a decision. By the time the injured player is replaced, or recovered, a decision could have easily been made.

It doesn't take long for an expert like a referee to make an informed decision based on the evidence before him.

Any break in play will be used as a sponsorship/advertisment opportunity. I don't want the EPL going down the NFL route.

The linesmen are 'assistant referees' so that says to me the officials are a team of 4 people at the mo, why not have a 5th member who watches everything from a screen and can advise good/bad decisions as they happen.

Any break in play will be used as a sponsorship/advertisment opportunity. I don't want the EPL going down the NFL route.

The linesmen are 'assistant referees' so that says to me the officials are a team of 4 people at the mo, why not have a 5th member who watches everything from a screen and can advise good/bad decisions as they happen.

Couldn't the fourth official do that?

In an employment situation it would be common to suspend both parties on full pay while an enquiring investigation was made. If you send one to a sin bin, then perhaps send both.

The easy option is for the ref to look at the big screen, see an instant technological replay, and make a decision. By the time the injured player is replaced, or recovered, a decision could have easily been made.

It doesn't take long for an expert like a referee to make an informed decision based on the evidence before him.

That might help prevent some of the play acting we see

He's on the touchline so could be influenced. The 5th official must be out of sight and totally independent like rugby and cricket video judges.

Be great to have some ex-pros in that position as we all know what clubs they are bias towards and would make it much easier to delegate the matches. Matt Le Tissier and Paul Merson would be great for that type of job as long as it's not an Arsenal or Spurs game. Joey Barton in a few years time as well.

Love this idea.

There's no reason why it couldn't work , and like you say, the team receiving the card offence is already down to 10 men for a short period and the next time it goes out of play, they (5th Official) should already have been able to make the decision.

Liking it alot.