IGNORED

Best Game You've Ever Watched

Whats the best game of football you ever seen, be it in the flesh or on TV, doesn't have to include Everton,

England V Holland euro 96'

bolton v reading 1995 play off final

Wales 2 Italy1 2002 (I was there, hell of an atmosphere)

Beating Bayern Munich was a real highlight. Not the greatest football, but the greatest night at Goodison I can remember.

Another one a bit devoid of excellent football, but so great to be at the game was the Andy King winner against Liverpool.

Best away game I went to was that Sharpy Volley at Anfield.

Seem so long ago now. *sigh*

I was quite excited by the trip to Wembley for the Milk Cup final against Liverpool. We may have lost the replay, but we should have won the final. The first all Merseyside final and I loved it, especially as my dad was young enough (and healthy enough) to come with me.

A game against Leeds when the ref gave Radz a yellow card when it should have been a pen, then in the last minute he went down for a clear pen or 2nd yellow and the ref just shit out and blew for full time. Game finished a draw but was a good end to end. Always enjoyed our football in games against Leeds, Newcastle, and Sunderland.

I remember when QPR won 5-3 was it, at Goodison around about that time ?

Best game I remember was West Germany and France in 1982 at the World Cup in Spain

France were probably the best team left in by that time, as they were in 1986, but lost out both times to Germany, it finished 3-3 on the night, Platini said himself it was the greatest game of soccer he had even been involved in, and that covers a lot of ground.

That was the night when the German goalkeeper, Schumacher was it, raced off his line and almost murdered one of the opposition players (Patrick Battiston If memory serves) and the dumb fucking match official turned a blind eye and there wasn't even a caution, he went on to be the hero (and the most hated man in France) that night by saving a number of penalty kicks as the Germans went through to the Final, but it was an outstanding game, a night that will live with me forever.

Liverpool 3 Leeds United 4 was a top game.

I think it will have been in around 2002 and Mark Viduka scored all four of Leeds' goals. They came back from behind three times too making it a really entertaining game and because I was a big blue and collecting football shirts I went out and bought a Leeds United top with 'Viduka 9' on the back to celebrate.

Not the best but one that has stood out over recent years was Arsenal v United a few seasons back.

I'm pretty sure it was the first game of the season and the football was fantastic end to end stuff pretty much like watching two peak Arsenal sides play each other as there's not many games I can remember United playing such football.

From a neutrals point of view it was a great game. A few already mentioned from ourselves but the FA cup elimination of the shite was pretty sweet :)

I remember when QPR won 5-3 was it, at Goodison around about that time ?

Best game I remember was West Germany and France in 1982 at the World Cup in Spain

France were probably the best team left in by that time, as they were in 1986, but lost out both times to Germany, it finished 3-3 on the night, Platini said himself it was the greatest game of soccer he had even been involved in, and that covers a lot of ground.

That was the night when the German goalkeeper, Schumacher was it, raced off his line and almost murdered one of the opposition players (Patrick Battiston If memory serves) and the dumb fucking match official turned a blind eye and there wasn't even a caution, he went on to be the hero (and the most hated man in France) that night by saving a number of penalty kicks as the Germans went through to the Final, but it was an outstanding game, a night that will live with me forever.

I quite agree. I was supporting Germany, as ever, and there was an inevitability they would do it. Fischer's goal was always coming. So many great, great players on the field that night. France were brilliant. Rich in the memory.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nikica

Good question. The 1960 European Cup Final was class. I have seen it on DVD but obviously I wasn't alive at the time so I can't count it. Had I been alive at the time that might be my choice. 1970 World Cup Final was good as well, albeit it one-sided. I see West Germany v France from 1982 being mentioned above. I was only just born then and I have heard about how great it was but never actually seen the full game.

The best game of the last ten years for me would probably be Czech Republic v Holland at Euro 2004. It was just a brilliant, brilliant game, it had everything. Football isn't as good now as it was in the past due to a general decline of players across all positions so it's hard to get as excited now, outwith Barcelona. I enjoyed the Rome and Wembley finals between United and Barcelona, but then I enjoy most Barcelona games.

Some of the best games of the 90s/early 2000s were the 3-3 draw between Barcelona and Man United in Camp Nou, the 2-3 game United v RM at Old Trafford in 2000 where Redondo ran the show, and the Liverpool-Newcastle 4-3 game (sorry). Argentina v England and Holland v Argentina were good at France 98 as well. There will be more that I have forgotten, but those stand out.

If I had to pick just one, I think I would choose United 2-3 RM. Redondo was a master that day.

Edited by Nikica