IGNORED

New ticketing commercial deal with StubHub

It's a question of politics and personal morality/values Matt.

Maggie Thatcher would applaud, Tony Benn would be appalled.

Exactly. Faced with tickets I can't use, I'd probably do as Matt would - give them to friends. But I am not going to criticize those who spend a lot of money upfront for season tickets with the express purpose of selling weekly seats at a profit. All credit to them. They are spotting a business opportunity that Everton management failed to spot.

Like what? Unless you seek to live in a planned economy, where prices are fixed by some higher authority, it's the way the world works. Long live capitalism!

Everton as a team could learn from this. Maybe they should be charging higher prices, which would allow them to invest more in players. Maybe they should give more urgency to having a new stadium, so they can generate more revenue from the additional seating. Maybe, if they have the entrepreneurial spirit of these season ticket holders, they wouldn't have signed such junk advertising deals.

Like what?! fans should not treat other fans as a business opportunity. They have a shared love of the team, and as such should not exploit that love.

If Everton raised tickets prices, it prices people out of the game, potentially reducing income. As for the rest, I really dont know what to say...

Like what?! fans should not treat other fans as a business opportunity. They have a shared love of the team, and as such should not exploit that love.

Sorry, but the world doesn't work like that. Wherever there are fans, there are savvy entrepreneurs providing them with what they want - scarves, photos, signed footballs, car stickers, whatever. Others will provide transportation to/from games. Others will help them to get good tickets. Others will provide hotel rooms or drinks after the game. And some will spend a lot of money buying season tickets and selling their seats some weeks to other fans who have none. And, of course, as business people, they will look to make a profit. As long as some supporters are willing to pay, everyone wins. I really don't see the problem.

I came across this on twitter. Apparently Celtic also have a partnership with Stubhub but Celtic have capped the prices at the original selling fee (+ 15% and delivery).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24295564

I'm with the economists in this particular argument, I wouldn't pay that much myself (or offer them at those prices if I had one) but the tickets are available should someone with the inclination and finances want them.