IGNORED

Anybody visited Cyprus ?

Avinalaff

I've been to Paphos in the Greek part.

I found Cyprus really dull. It's the 'birthplace' of Aphrodite, there's a rock at the bottom of a cliff where legend says she was born. I went on a safari and it was just rock... with not many animals to be seen at all.

Tomb of the kings was good, Harbour castle was okay too.

My friend has his mum living there. (She went there after she retired. He swears the place is fantastic, but I think you have to get to know your way around. He said where he drank the beer was cheap as chips.

Unfortunately not been there myself. I am assured that inland away from the coast it is pretty good and friendly.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few snaps.

The best ones have my family on them, so can't publish on the net, but that area was stunning.

Are you in witness protection? wink.png

A few nice snaps, I stayed over there with family who were in the army as a kid. The sights look pleasantly familiar, especially the second pic. Although Cyprus is far too hot for me.

What you don't get from pictures is the mindboggling panoramic views. It really was a case of no matter which way you looked, that kind of scenery was all around you, and I kept having to stop every few minutes whilst driving to just take it in.

It was also about 38 degrees so a bit different than your typical Spanish resort.

Looks like a nice spot that...peace/quiet/unspoilt, just the sort of thing we go for.

I visited Paphos, and although it was better than here it wasn't a patch on Latsi and Polis.

The whole stretch of Latsi didn't have a single high rise block. Totally unspoilt. The Akamas Peninsula (nature reserve kind of thing) was minutes away by car, as was Aphrodite's bits and bobs (nothing to shout about) and driving the opposite direction went through the mountains towards the Turkish bit. There was a resort up that way that felt deserted, even though a few folk were around.

Beer ranged from €2.50 upwards with the average being €3.50 but shorts etc were all about €6. Meals were decent with Mousaka etc about €10-12 and steak €18-20.

The sea was very warm, so much that there were no toe dipping issues. Straight in and very calm. Nearly every bar, restaurant, shop etc had Eastern Europeans, such as Bulgarians or Romanians etc, and without wanting to sound like a dog on heat they were all tasty, and I mean tasty. I've not seen a collection of beautiful women like that before any where.

I used Elephant car hire, whichcost about €350 for the 2 weeks with no excess issues etc, and would recommend them against paying for cheaper hire. Fuel was about €1.4 per litre unleaded so a bit cheaper and fags about €5. Bottles of Aeon beer (Cypriat) about €1.30 in the local shops, but much cheaper from the major Supermarkets in Polis center. Same with food.