IGNORED

Can we win the league?

Memmaclub

Moyes said just a few weeks ago and I am adamant I read it in that 'our main priority this season is to avoid relegation', I actually saw that and it was discussed on a rival page.

Remember him saying that the first target is forty points....which it is for all but four or five teams.

Clear distinction between the 2, and he has clearly stated 1st target every time, so far as Ive seen.

• 2 weeks later...

You've got to laugh haven't you.

One moment Moyes says one of his primary concerns is escaping a relegation melee, and without much time at all, decides that the place to be is the European Cup places or as high a finish as is humanly possible. The manager just seems a bit fickle at times. If he doesn't often know what his best side is, you can appreciate he maybe doesn't quite know what would represent a respectable finish.

Without Moyes's musings, I think a UEFA cup place is likely to be the final outcome. Ok we have been doing well lately but it's a long season and when it's all said and done I just feel a European Cup place again may just be beyond us. But there will be no relegation concerns you can be sure of it, and anywhere between a 5th and 10th place finish looks most likely.

Maybe you're right Michael, maybe Moyes should resemble Pinnochio or a clone of Phil Thompsons, Ruud Gullit's and Steve Martins..

His ideas of what he wants out of a season change alarmingly from one thing to the next. May be an indication why we still await a trophy after a decade of tenure?

All I know is, today was another poor game, OK the weather was crap, but the team again didn't perform and we got a draw against the bottom place team in the league and it was another inconsistent display. Once again, I feel sorry for anyone who decides to watch that MOT2 program later.

That would just about send me into cardiac arrest but we'll be doing other things this night. Just another poor game and display that's all. People have every right to feel irritated or depressed.

Maybe you're right Michael, maybe Moyes should resemble Pinnochio or a clone of Phil Thompsons, Ruud Gullit's and Steve Martins..

His ideas of what he wants out of a season change alarmingly from one thing to the next. May be an indication why we still await a trophy after a decade of tenure?

All I know is, today was another poor game, OK the weather was crap, but the team again didn't perform and we got a draw against the bottom place team in the league and it was another inconsistent display. Once again, I feel sorry for anyone who decides to watch that MOT2 program later.

That would just about send me into cardiac arrest but we'll be doing other things this night. Just another poor game and display that's all. People have every right to feel irritated or depressed.

Whatever.

Fact remains..if he said, "...our priority is mid table..." he'd be lying and everyone would (rightly) jump on him..

• 4 weeks later...

I have a lot of time for Motson as a commentator and analysist and he's had decades of experience and did narrate our official club history film release, but you can't read too much into what was said. I remember back in the summer of 1996 after the Newcastle win at home on the opening day of the season, that Lynam and his panelists that night said we were dark horses for the league title. It was nearer a relegation battle and two embarrassments in the cup tourneys and we lost our manager before end of season.

Some significant difference also between 'winning the league' and grabbing a fourth place finish.

Once again, and just for some closure on this, we won't win the league, can't win the league, the best I feel will be the last champions league place like seven years ago or most likely a UEFA cup place.

And there will always be those who want to see the club get these places rather than an actual trophy won. That's all very well and good, and you can appreciate that thinking, but next year will be our 18th year since a last trophy won, and I want to see the club win something again. These league finishes are very commendable but as always, you don't get any trophies for a UEFA cup or even Champions League place.

We've been away far too long for an honor won or any kind of trophy, and I merely want to see that rectified sometime soon. Soccer is a results business, and if you're not motivated to win any trophy, then what's the point of going out to play.

I know it's frustrating having not won trophies for *ahem "a while", but the financial benefits of getting in the champions league would be huge and help us to build a bigger and better squad, hopefully making us more competitive in domestic competitions and more likely to bag a trophy. It could also improve our saleability when looking for investment. So all in all I think finishing 4th would be a massive boost for us, especially considering the amount of money the other clubs hoping for a champions league place have spent/spend on their squads compared to us.

To answer the OP... not this season! Listening to that BBC exerpt with John Motson, I agree with our squad depth comment. Look what happens when we lose Gibson - took us a couple of games to get back into it... then when we didn't have Pienaar for the derby... then when Mirallas gets injured, Jelavic doesn't score - heaven forbid if Felli is out. Our starting XI can take on any team - but one or two player changes and we go a bit wobbly. That is NOT enough to win a league when you take into account tired legs and injuries.

Cheryl Cole? Why not aim slightly higher? Like Everton this year. You should not settle for mid table.

Nope, everton cant win the league, this season. But I really do believe that we will be playing european football next season. Deffo Europa league and maybe even CL.

As Hafnia posted, I think its between Everton, Arsenal and Spurs for 4th-6th place.

Oh and about the positive feeling on this board Mirallas. Thats not something thats been a thing of the past but the last time Everton had a great start to the season, they finished 4th. We can all feel it. Its in the air. Somehow the summer changed things. We did not lose any important players and we actually picked up a couple of exciting ones. (Pienaar, Mirallas and Naismith)

Not a lot of talk about banks demanding money from the club and it seems as if there might be some air in the budget for once.

If we lose Felli in jan, I expect us to get top dollar for him. Might even be a good thing although id be really, really depressed to see him go. But we need motivated players, week in and week out to challenge for fourth place. Replace Felli with half the money. Get Ofoe in aswell

go on im waiting to hear how, and where you can get a midfielder who could probably get in every team in europe who would be willing to join us on low wages aswell.

Edited by Blue4Ever