IGNORED

How Prominent Is Bandwagoning In England?

Here in The U.S. I've literally met a total of two people who liked a team that wasn't Man U/Man City/Liverpool/Chelsea. I think the reasons for this are fairly obvious. Granted, geography is irrelevant here. But I was wondering what it was like for you guys. How prominent is it for people to be in the areas of teams such as Sheffield United/Everton/Bolton/Southampton etc. etc. etc. to instead bandwagon for top teams not anywhere near them?

Speaking from the perspective of living 250 miles from Liverpool and not within 100 of a top level team....the place crawls with Liverpool, United, Chelsea & Arsenal shirts. Most have never been anywhere near "their" home ground. Few more City fans appearing strangelyrolleyes.gif .

Nice thing though is that on the odd occasion you bump into another blue (once every few months I guess) you always have a good conversation....because you know there's a sound reason for being an Evertonian whereas most of the bandwagon jumpers have no imagination; they just go with the default option and 99% of the time know bugger all about the game or "their" team.

Other than that there a quite a few Exeter City fans....but you have to respect people supporting their local team.

It's more of a southern thing imo, down here there are loads of Man U fans and shite fans, but none of them have been anywhere near OT or Analfield, or know very little club history, something that is crucial to being a fan of either of those 2 teams, also ive noticed a lot of Newcastle fans down here, no idea why. When i was was still living in Liverpool i never found that people up there supported teams down south or in the midlands, it was us, them or a sprinkling of Tranmere fans and the odd rogue scouser who supported the mancs.

There's a few Arsenal fans sprinkled in the north/midlands, but no where near the masses of Southerners glory hunting. Places like Middlesbrough are strangely full of kopites.

I've noticed a lot of non-football following fans who prefer motorsports, golf, cricket, or rugby choose United/Liverpool as a default.

It's important to realise the difference between fans.

If there was a supporting hierarchy, it would read something like this:

At the top of the supporting tree, you have the lads who travel home, away, and abroad to follow their team.

Next, the lads who get to home matches etc.

Somewhere in the middle, you get the lads who follow from their armchair, pc, radio, tv, or newspaper etc.

At the very bottom, a few miles deeper than the darkest cesspit of hell, you get the weird folk who tell you they support which ever team happens to be the best at the time, even if they can't tell you anything about the club, or, where the club actually plays.

Under the rocks at the end of those folks gardens, you will find the Liverpool fans.

It's important to realise the difference between fans.

If there was a supporting hierarchy, it would read something like this:

At the top of the supporting tree, you have the lads who travel home, away, and abroad to follow their team.

Next, the lads who get to home matches etc.

Somewhere in the middle, you get the lads who follow from their armchair, pc, radio, tv, or newspaper etc.

At the very bottom, a few miles deeper than the darkest cesspit of hell, you get the weird folk who tell you they support which ever team happens to be the best at the time, even if they can't tell you anything about the club, or, where the club actually plays.

Under the rocks at the end of those folks gardens, you will find the Liverpool fans.

Overall a very good overview of fans, pretty much spot on. The only thing I would add to the bold bit is a bit of a defence of my situation. I know there was no dig there, just wanted to add that some armchair fans are restricted by location and circumstance, but would (if they could afford it and if they were able to get permission of the wife) follow all over the place too. Just saying that Im probably as passionate as the top 2 tiers, just not able to follow in their footsteps as much as Id like too....

You should have grown up in Portugal. 90% (not exaggerating) of the people in my school were Benfica fans. We're 350 km away from Lisbon... I support my local team Beira-Mar, and in a school 30 minutes away from their stadium I was their only fan as far as I know. Sure, some kids "support" them, as a 2nd team.

A home match with 26 or 27k away fans in a 30k stadium is quite the frustrating experience, especially when most of them are from your own city and even go as far as making fun of their own city's club.

Nothing better than when we beat one of those big clubs though, even if it only happens once every couple of years.

Edited by Fearthainn

You should have grown up in Portugal. 90% (not exaggerating) of the people in my school were Benfica fans. We're 350 km away from Lisbon... I support my local team Beira-Mar, and in a school 30 minutes away from their stadium I was their only fan as far as I know. Sure, some kids "support" them, as a 2nd team.

A home match with 26 or 27k away fans in a 30k stadium is quite the frustrating experience, especially when most of them are from your own city and even go as far as making fun of their own city's club.

Nothing better than when we beat one of those big clubs though, even if it only happens once every couple of years.

Have you moved over yet or are you still in Portugal?