IGNORED

Felix Baumgartner

rubecula

I have just watched a couple of hours of history in the making. Felix Baumgartner's parachute jump from nearly 130,000 feet. (Helium balloon)

He set some new world records. Highest ever free fall, highest ever manned balloon flight, fastest ever freefall.

Kittenger's records finally ended (he set them in 1960) APART from the longest time in freefall, he still has that one!

Amazing stuff. If anyone is interested in this stuff the BBC have recorded it all for a documentary to be shown in a few weeks.

I had a bit of a tingle watching him climb out onto the little step before jumping. Not altogether a comfortable feeling. I am not sure I suffer from vertigo but at that kind of height I would defer most folks not to feel a bit ill.

You know what the first thing he said when he landed was?

"Can I go again?"tongue.png

Actually I made that up.

Amazing stuff....funny thing is (this is my own thinking/understanding of the science so may be total bullshit) that when he was doing 900 odd mph it won't have felt like that to him because of the lack of atmosphere and consequently resistance....so no "wind."

He looked a bit out of control for a while so was a bit worrying....but just a stunning thing to watch.

How fast was he going when he pulled the shute? 700mph + ?

That must have been quite a slow down. I'm surprised body parts could take it.

Once he opened the canopy (us experienced jumpers never call it a 'shuterolleyes.gif ) he was back in low level atmosphere so would've slowed, assuming a stable spread position, to terminal velocity....about 120mph, just like any other skydiversmile.png .

So his testicles will be intact happily.

The documentary should be really interesting, I think it took two years from initial plans to performing the jump and I think that there were a few set-backs along the way. It's an increadible story and one which will be told for many years to come, another amazing event in the life of the human race.

Actually done a parachute jump over Paris some years ago but nothing from that height. Some areas say the man was merely 'showing off', but I don't think it was quite like that. Apparently the man does these things quite often but nothing on the scale of what we have here. You have to give plaudits or recognition to the individual for managing a feat of that magnitude.

I meant the height we did was nothing like what that Felix character did recently. It was an organized event and just a routine jump over a location, what we have here is some person going to an extreme and doing a special event, it was not your usual standard jump from the skies.

I wouldn't have done it. You wouldn't have done it. 99 per cent of the population wouldn't have attempted it.

Really? You pussy.

Actually it's more dangerous jumping from where I (and I assume DK) did.

If the canopy failed we had seventeen seconds before we hit the ground; you had to allow four seconds for the main to deploy so any problem you had thirteen seconds to sort before terminal death. Baumgartner had fucking ages in comparison....he's the pussycool.png !

Slightly off topic, but still relevant to heights, I have no time for these people who jump off buildings in order to kill themselves. There's ways to do things, and ways not to. If someone wants to end it all, find a nice quiet place away from public attention and do it there. If must be awful for people looking on, and waiting can be as worse as the actual jump for all involved. I've seen jumpers on tops of buildings, but never waited around to see what occured. Fuck that. Some people may get a macabre pleasure from these things but I'd rather get out of the area as soon as can be and only hope they can be talked down. A large number of these individuals seem to be attention seekers it seems, as their type of intended demise may demonstrate

If the canopy failed we had seventeen seconds before we hit the ground; you had to allow four seconds for the main to deploy so any problem you had thirteen seconds to sort before terminal death. Baumgartner had fucking ages in comparison....he's the pussycool.png !

It doesn't matter how high you are. It's that final inch that worrys me.

I also read that he did a parachute jump from 95 feet too. (I think that is also a record of sorts)