IGNORED

5-3-2?

Finn balor

For me, nope.

A defender needs to know where he should be positionally, and where his other defenders are. They've all played with 4 at the back, probably for as long as they've been playing football, they know that position. Once you start moving them around, sticking 5 in there, you confuse things; they're second guessing if they're in the best position possible, should they be there, is my mate gonna be here?

City tried it, worked like shit. If anything they highlighted exactly why it wouldn't and doesn't work imo.

Also, just as a comparison, the most used formations in Europe's top 5 leagues:

http://www.whoscored.com/Graphics/139/Show/Most-Used-Formations-in-Europes-Top-5-Leagues-this-season

p.s sorry for writing like violent.gif , I'm tired :(

The only time I'd consider 3 centre halves is if the opposition plays with 2 very good strikers, we could probably have done with three of them in the second half against Newcastle for example. If you play three at the back against just one striker, you'll be very short in other areas of the pitch.

I don't think there's a problem with our 4-2-3-1, it's just the fact that Gibbo makes that 2 so much better. I'd stay with this system but target 2 Cm's who can play in the system - I think Holtby and Lallana could be very interesting (and they're both blues). Both could be available in the summer certainly with maybe a cheeky bid in Jan enough to snatch Holtby early?

I agree the problem's in midfield. But I think we need another holding midfielder, not Holtby or Lallana (though both would be welcome in addition to another holding player). Someone strong and quick and preferably with a wide passing range. I liked that Coquelin lad (Arsenal) against Reading, I'd have him on loan.

With Southampton not looking likely to hold their place among the PL, Llana's a cracking shout C. Could be a great (eventual) replacement for Ossie. Both blues. Both passionate. Incredibly skillfull players. Nearly a like for like in that respect.

Yes they're small player but as someone pointed out in the other thread, they work for Everton because they're a 'fit' and that element of their game suits the bits we're missing. Technical ability.

Llana top shout.

We need to start looking at more homegrown players as well, with the homegrown ruling coming in next year.

For Home grown, we could look at Swansea's Ben Davies. Had some terrific performances of late and still young (19). Looks very composed and mature. Good decision making and relatively quick. Earning a whoping £400 a week. Might be worth keeping tabs on him?

James McCarthy is another one we need to keep an eye on. He's been excellent at Wigan, even when the team as a whole have struggled. Both James' have been great, however McCarthy has more in his locker. He wouldn't look out of place in a top team. Just checked, he qualifies for homegrown but the other James doesn't. winning. But on a serious note, certianly worth investing in :)

If you look at Southamptons fixture list, their start to the season has included most of the top sides, so it's no surprise that they would have few points to show for it, so I think we need to see how they do at the half way stage before condemning them too soon. After seeing them play, I think there are worse sides in the Premiership.

City

Wigan

United

Arsenal

Villa

Everton

Fulham

West Ham

Tottenham

agree with Bailey - our problem is in space just in front of back 4 - attackers have too much time and space there - DM'ers should sweep that area more effectively - leaving it up to the back 4 draws them out of formation\position - creating more gaps.The problem is exacerbated if some of our back4 are up and we are caught on the break - we lack speed and cover in our part of the midfield.our defenders tend to work on theit own instead of hunting in pairs closing a striker down by cramping him

If you look at Southamptons fixture list, their start to the season has included most of the top sides, so it's no surprise that they would have few points to show for it, so I think we need to see how they do at the half way stage before condemning them too soon. After seeing them play, I think there are worse sides in the Premiership.

City

Wigan

United

Arsenal

Villa

Everton

Fulham

West Ham

Tottenham

I like a lot about Southampton - it's all attacking qualities. They are certainly not the worst attacking team in the prem!

Defensively though... basically they're shite!!!

For me, nope.

A defender needs to know where he should be positionally, and where his other defenders are. They've all played with 4 at the back, probably for as long as they've been playing football, they know that position. Once you start moving them around, sticking 5 in there, you confuse things; they're second guessing if they're in the best position possible, should they be there, is my mate gonna be here?

City tried it, worked like shit. If anything they highlighted exactly why it wouldn't and doesn't work imo.

Also, just as a comparison, the most used formations in Europe's top 5 leagues:

http://www.whoscored...ues-this-season

p.s sorry for writing like violent.gif , I'm tired sad.png

Interesting to note on that link how often 3 at the back is getting played in Italy. You can certainly see where Mancini got the idea. I don't think we really need to go to this formation, the one thing going for it though is that we have 3 CBs who might just be perfectly suited to it. Pace and power from Distin, absolute commitment and great positioning from Jags, and a steady head to work play out with Heitinga. It would certainly let us push Coleman and Baines way up on the wings and could provide an interesting alternative if our current game plan ever starts to hit a wall. All that aside, don't see it ever happening.

Holtby would move Fellaini back to become the deeper holding mid. I think Lallana could play the deep playmaker Arteta role.

With the way Felli is playing up front I think it less and less likely that he'll ever move back. His technique and composure in the box is getting scary good. Can't bet on the league over in Cannuckistan, but Felli for top scorer for Everton and midfielders in the league might both be attractive.

Edited by chicagoblue

Interesting to note on that link how often 3 at the back is getting played in Italy. You can certainly see where Mancini got the idea. I don't think we really need to go to this formation, the one thing going for it though is that we have 3 CBs who might just be perfectly suited to it. Pace and power from Distin, absolute commitment and great positioning from Jags, and a steady head to work play out with Heitinga. It would certainly let us push Coleman and Baines way up on the wings and could provide an interesting alternative if our current game plan ever starts to hit a wall. All that aside, don't see it ever happening.

With the way Felli is playing up front I think it less and less likely that he'll ever move back. His technique and composure in the box is getting scary good. Can't bet on the league over in Cannuckistan, but Felli for top scorer for Everton and midfielders in the league might both be attractive.

I dont think that three at the back will ever catch on properly over here. Martinez has done a decent job of it at Wigan because they use that shape to soak up pressure and spring forward on the counter. For teams like us and City I dont really know how it would work because 3 CB's seems a waste when you are expected to boss a game.

While Felli was brilliant at the weekend, he still spurns decent chances and positions because he isnt an attacking midfielder. Dont get me wrong he does lots of top class stuff but there are times where he quite regularly makes the wrong decision because its not 'his game'.

I dont think that three at the back will ever catch on properly over here. Martinez has done a decent job of it at Wigan because they use that shape to soak up pressure and spring forward on the counter. For teams like us and City I dont really know how it would work because 3 CB's seems a waste when you are expected to boss a game.

While Felli was brilliant at the weekend, he still spurns decent chances and positions because he isnt an attacking midfielder. Dont get me wrong he does lots of top class stuff but there are times where he quite regularly makes the wrong decision because its not 'his game'.

Wigan boss most games as well, don't they? I think they have more of the ball than the team they play against most of the time. Not that I want 3 at the back here btw, I'm perfectly fine with our current formation.

Btw, I don't think we'd be half as dangerous going forward if Fellaini wasn't there so I'd just keep him up there.

Guest blueboy122

Fully agree, Felli needs to be moved back to his normal position where he can dominate games and retain possesion. We need him there more than ever at the moment as we are short in midfeild. I dont know why Moyes doesnt move him back to midfeild whilst we are so short in that department and play, an attacking player behind Jelly, someone like Naisy or Gueye.

Wigan boss most games as well, don't they? I think they have more of the ball than the team they play against most of the time. Not that I want 3 at the back here btw, I'm perfectly fine with our current formation.

Btw, I don't think we'd be half as dangerous going forward if Fellaini wasn't there so I'd just keep him up there.

No not really, they play it about at the back sometimes but when they were most potent at the end of last season against the top teams they would draw them on and break really effectively. At the moment I think they are back to playing 4-4-2 anyway?

I do think you are probably right, especially in some games. He is a proper outlet ball for us in that we can play it up to him and most times he will get the ball down and play it. So in that respect he is vital for the way we play, however, when he gets in and around the box a more equipped player would probably do better. Seems a bit silly saying that when he scored two at the weekend but even then someone with better technical ability and more creative & attacking mentality might have done more. Although, you can certainly argue would we have been in that position in the first place!

Maybe we need 2 Fellaini's.

Thats the best solution I have heard! :)