IGNORED

What news of Neville?

Oztoffee

Out of the loop downunder a little, so what's the news on Neville?

IMO (such as it is) this is a good opportunity to quietly pull him aside and say 'enough is enough'. Whether Moyes would actually do that is another thing of course.

Don't get me wrong...a great club servant...was really useful when we needed some steel in midfield (..ish)....blah...blah. But I feel, just like Timmy that his time is over and maybe he should step aside before the axe comes down. Surely as a proffessional he should be aware of that himself. If he plays on, I think it must be Moyes getting in his ear, maybe he'd think that Neville still has a role to play at Goodison as a player, although I must admit if that happened I'd be really dissappointed with Moyes as it was obvious to all that Neville couldn't handle it any longer and was deteriorating almost with every game.

It's Timmy, Graveson and Carsley all over again....one season too much.

What say you all?

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble with Neville, is he is already here, and as such, is worth keeping here a while longer.

His own performances, combined with the needs of the team will decide how often he starts, but if we had to buy a player, how much do you think it would cost to get one with those leadership qualities and experience, not to mention professionalism?

As long as he keeps fit, he is a good addition to the squad. We can only play eleven players at any one time, but we need 25 players, and Nev is also English (does he also count as home grown?).

I think the statistics regarding points played with v points without can be misleading, as let's be honest, no two opposition are the same, and it's more important to view a player over recent performances. I've noticed a few mistakes creeping in this season, but I tend to think a lot of fan opinion has to do with the fact that Neville isn't the most graceful of players, and can look awkward sometimes, but Ballet dancer or Street dancer, the guy is still dancing I guess.

Phil Neville is excactly like Tony Hibbert in the sense that they have to be in a standing position when passing the ball.... 'Old swivel hips' These players will never be technically gifted enough for us to move into the next tier....

Technically gifted players tend not to be defenders, or at least the old style defenders. The last thing you want your defenders to be doing is trying to be too clever. Both Hibbert and Neville are from the old school, and to be fair, both were amongst the best at what they did.

As a pair Neville and Osman were looking like previous models in the new car showroom - stood out like sore thumbs and probably our weakest link putting pressure on the back 4 and not really servicing the strike force with the energy and speed we need to keep up with the top dogs -

for me both belong on the bench as insurance for the young guns who must be willing AND ABLE to go toe to toe with the heavy artillery of the big guns -

i really hope the young benchers get some gametime on Monday - we must build for the future and not try and preserve the past past their sell by date

As a pair Neville and Osman were looking like previous models in the new car showroom - stood out like sore thumbs and probably our weakest link putting pressure on the back 4 and not really servicing the strike force with the energy and speed we need to keep up with the top dogs -

for me both belong on the bench as insurance for the young guns who must be willing AND ABLE to go toe to toe with the heavy artillery of the big guns -

i really hope the young benchers get some gametime on Monday - we must build for the future and not try and preserve the past past their sell by date

You're clearly only basing this on the match vs Newcastle as Osman has been by far one of our best/most consistent players this season.