IGNORED

Kev Boateng walks off - Racism content

I think it's a good thing that he did. The quicker fans are sanctioned the better.

I agree.....but Platini said recently that players walking off due to racial abuse would be booked. As it was just a friendly I suspect the only people punished will be Pro Patria...hope so.

I agree.....but Platini said recently that players walking off due to racial abuse would be booked. As it was just a friendly I suspect the only people punished will be Pro Patria...hope so.

Platini needs to do more to prevent it happening.

If it occurs, then every fan from the offending supporters section should be removed. I'm fairly sure their own fans would start policing it then.

Aww come on mate, are you serious? dont%20know.gif

It's not that wild of view. The FA's and fans should be making sure stuff like this doesn't happen in the first place. Stand by the players what ever decision.

@TouchlineDrama

Dutch midfield titan Clarence Seedorf has expressed his regret at Milan walking off mid-game due to racist chants. Says it empowers racists.

It's not that wild of view. The FA's and fans should be making sure stuff like this doesn't happen in the first place. Stand by the players what ever decision.

@TouchlineDrama

Dutch midfield titan Clarence Seedorf has expressed his regret at Milan walking off mid-game due to racist chants. Says it empowers racists.

"They're just chants and nothing more"

That's not going to sit well with most racially abused people, but heck, hand out ear plugs to players on match day (Yellow for blacks / white for everybody else so we appease the paying racist scumbag fans) and problem solved?

I don't agree with it. I hate racism, but I don't think it's the right action - these idiots don't care about a football match being played - so why should it impact the fans who have paid to be entertained and behave themselves?

It also leaves a massive potential problem..... here goes....

My name is Ron Manager, I hate losing, my job is under threat and I need to stay in the cup to stand a chance of staying in my job. My team are being beaten 2-0 with 20 minutes remaining - is that rasicst abuse I hear??? I'm not sure but hey, lets get my players off the pitch and have the match abandoned. With any luck the authorities will make us replay it closed doors or disqulaify the other team...

It's not for the players to decide if a match is to be cancelled, its for the authorities to deal with the culprits in aneffective manner - none of this £60,000 fine etc.

My name is Ron Manager, I hate losing, my job is under threat and I need to stay in the cup to stand a chance of staying in my job. My team are being beaten 2-0 with 20 minutes remaining - is that rasicst abuse I hear??? I'm not sure but hey, lets get my players off the pitch and have the match abandoned. With any luck the authorities will make us replay it closed doors or disqulaify the other team...

It's not for the players to decide if a match is to be cancelled, its for the authorities to deal with the culprits in aneffective manner - none of this £60,000 fine etc.

Fair point Ron (tongue.png ) but in a friendly I think it's a good way to make the point.....it's drawn far more attention to it than any post game punishment would've done. No one outside Italy would even have known it'd happened.

Fair point Ron (tongue.png ) but in a friendly I think it's a good way to make the point.....it's drawn far more attention to it than any post game punishment would've done. No one outside Italy would even have known it'd happened.

I think doing it in a friendly is a fair point - and maybe necessary. I think the authorities are going to struggle with this - is calling someone a name based on their skin colour any worse than what our fans have chanted to Gerrard or their fans chanted to the likes of Neville and Carsley? All very harsh and unsavoury when you look at it.

I'd say he would be well within his rights to walk off, if European employment law is anything like ours (and it probably is).

Employment law.

Race Relations Act 1976 and Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000

It is unlawful to discriminate against a person on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, citizenship or ethnic origins. The complaint must show that the harassment created an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment, or interfered with the individual's work performance causing them a detriment. Racial violence is a criminal offence and proceedings in cases of racial abuse and harassment may be brought under both criminal and civil law.

The Race Relations (Amendment) Act means that public bodies have a duty to promote race equality, to tackle racial discrimination, to encourage equal opportunity and good race relations.

Human Rights Act 1998

Inhuman and degrading treatment is prohibited under Article 3 of the Act. Employers that do not try to prevent bullying and harassment outside the context of discrimination may be in breach of the Human Rights Act.

The Human Rights Act also has some bearing on certain harassment matters, including sexual orientation, in that it provides a right to respect for private and family life under Article 8.

Health and Safety at Work Act 1974

Employers have a duty of care, so far as is reasonably practical, to ensure the health, safety and welfare of their employees. Harassment and bullying are recognised as serious health hazards because of the stress they can cause.

If the employer fails to carry out these duties then they may be found to be negligent and therefore liable to prosecution.

Protection from Harassment Act 1997

This Act was passed following concern that stalking was not well dealt with under existing legislation, however it does not refer solely to stalking and covers harassment in a wider sense. The Act says that it is unlawful to cause harassment, alarm or distress by a course of conduct and states that’

'A person must not pursue a course of conduct

(a) which amounts to harassment of another, and

(b.) which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.'

If someone is harassed at their place of work they could decide to take action for damages using the Protection from Harassment Act rather than by going to an Employment Tribunal. An individual will need to establish the fact that harassment occurred and the damage it caused .

A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or both. The Police have powers to issue restraining orders under this legislation.

Malicious Communications Act 1998

A particularly unpleasant form of harassment is that involving malicious communications either through the post, the telephone, Fax, by cyberstalking through the internet or, an increasing problem, by the use of Text or SMS messages sent to mobile phones.
Edited by Avinalaff

So if you want to win a game you shout racist comments, the opposition walks of and there you go three points in the bag.

Sorry but that idea is a none starter for me. The thing to do is tell the ref, who will then decide whether to call off the match or not. The resptive governing bodies can take sanctions against the team then if their supporters are to blame. IE play behind closed doors, have point deducted whatever.

Just a bit piss poor IMO, people have paid good money to see him play and he storms off just because some of the crowd were calling him names. Just shows how weak some people are.

Zoo, if you are a black footballer having experienced constant racist abuse by intimidating football hooligans, and have dealt with it in a different manner, then feel free to pass judgement in such a way, but it is my suspicion that you are not able to comprehend the emotions of the abused player on a personal scale, and therefore shouldn't be too quick to form an opinion, in particular one of such insensitivity.

Without getting into the whole racism issue - would you expect people to go to a pop concert and racially abuse a singer and expect him to stay on the stage? or if you went to work as a roadsweeper and be expected to do nothing if people in the street called you a racist name?

Of course not - the problem with football is it is a team game with individuals being targetted, only now has someone made a stand against it. The problem is that this is not a solution to a very serious issue. It is 2013 and people can not pass off monkey chanting or racial abuse as just words. These words represent years of oppression, discrimination, death, slavery - it's not like calling someone a fat bastard.

Clubs should be made accountable for the fans that enter their stadiums and be in a position to identify them to the authorities. Once identified and proven - the punishment should be as severe as logical.