IGNORED

James Beattie appointed Accrington Stanley manager

• 2 weeks later...

Accrington Stanley are a very famous club. They have one of the best names in footy too if you ask me.

If my memory serves me well tongue.png ahem ...... they were one of the 12 founder members of the football league, before giving up the ghost in 1966. They were resurrected from the dead in 1968, and then just as they were about to meet their maker again, Ilyas Khan came to their rescue, and saved their bacon.

They might be small fry these days, but historically, they are huge.

Accrington Stanley are a very famous club. They have one of the best names in footy too if you ask me.

If my memory serves me well :P ahem ...... they were one of the 12 founder members of the football league, before giving up the ghost in 1966. They were resurrected from the dead in 1968, and then just as they were about to meet their maker again, Ilyas Khan came to their rescue, and saved their bacon.[/size]

They might be small fry these days, but historically, they are huge.[/size]

I know ;) but I was quoting this:

Being of a certain age to recall things from the past, in this case, television commercials, doesn't indicate that they were outstanding or worthy of applause.

They come to mind, in that they were so cringeworthy (never liked use of that word) or terrible, you can always think back when someone makes a point of reference. The 'Charlie' warnings about kids going out on their own was another one you can never forget. Poor advert, but still memorable. You don't see these commercials about kids safety anymore, all fucking hair products and car insurance or loans etc. In the end, it all got a bit too much.

There was another one from years back about when to remember to switch off all plugs and empty ashtrays before going to bed, but can't remember much more than that. 'Your bedtime routine'. It had a Terry Thomas type and his wife. Quite memorable, if only you could remember more.

It did its job as you now remember to switch off all plugs and empty all ashtrays. So the ad did its job. That's what MikeO was talking about. However annoying an ad is, its job is to make you remember the product or the message.

Another example is the mars bar ad where the guy is stretching his calf's while leaning on his Porsche near a cliff after a run, and this other helpful fella thinks he is running an insurance scam so he stops and helps the guy "push" the Porsche down the cliff. Brilliant.

edit*

Found it if you have missed it. It was for Japp which is a Swedish version. Almost like Mars but not quite. (we have both versions in Sweden)

Edited by Peter H

Yes, this has gone wildly off course from Beattie, but I wasn't responsible for that initial deviation.

Just to add, I found that awful commercial (not that it may interest) from years back. Truly embarrassing for all concerned, but if it saved at least one life, then it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Rolf Harris advertising learning to swim just before kids go out to try and drown themselves before each school holiday......... genius! "Kids and water, they love it! Rivers, canals, even the swimming pool in the garden (wtf?)............."