IGNORED

Alan Stubbs: How football saved my life - Competition

Louis

Publishers Simon and Schuster have very kindly given us six copies of Alan Stubbs' autobiography, "How Football Saved My Life" (RRP £18.99) to give away to deserving members.

eVAljqm.jpg

The day had gone badly: Celtic had just lost to their Old Firm rivals Rangers in the 1999 Scottish Cup final, and now Alan Stubbs had to provide a sample for a random drugs test. Little did he know, but it would help save his life...

The results of the test showed he had testicular cancer, and suddenly, at the age of 27 and at the peak of fitness, he realised that he had the biggest battle of his life in front of him. In this compelling and moving memoir, Stubbs recalls his despair at the time and explains how, with the support of family, friends and fans as well as terrific doctors, he pulled through to resume his career at the top.

And what a career it was. First he helped Bolton Wanderers climb up two divisions to reach the Premier League in 1995. The following season, he moved to Celtic for a record fee, helping them to break the stranglehold on the league title held by Rangers. After recovering from cancer, he moved to Everton, his hometown club, where he would spend most of the rest of his playing career, lining up alongside (among others) an ageing Paul Gascoigne and an emerging Wayne Rooney. A knee injury forced him to retire in 2008, but he is now on the coaching staff at Everton. A player who has seen the game at all levels, he has also had to contend with the most shocking challenges in life, which makes his story an unmissable read.

To be in with a chance of winning a copy of the book. You'll need to answer this question:

In which games as an Everton player, did Alan Stubbs score a league goal?

Please provide the playing season, opponent and whether the game was at home or away.

There are six correct answers and for each first unique correct answer we have one book to give away.

-

Rules:
1. Admin and Moderators may not participate in the competition
2. All members with posting privileges are eligible to enter the competition - even those overseas.

3. The first correct answer per goal will win a copy of the book.
4. No member can win more than one copy of the book. Please do not post more than one answer if you have already submitted a correct answer.

5. The six winners will provide a postal address for the book to be delivered to.

If this is still going and the game below hasn't been mentioned

2001/02 Bolton away

I've only been here 5 minutes and I noticed Dalziel Kane said he can't make this competition due to another commitment but he would look for a copy of the book anyway so, if he wants it and this is a winner you can offer it to him. He, like a few others on here, put a fair bit into this forum.

If this is still going and the game below hasn't been mentioned

2001/02 Bolton away

I've only been here 5 minutes and I noticed Dalziel Kane said he can't make this competition due to another commitment but he would look for a copy of the book anyway so, if he wants it and this is a winner you can offer it to him. He, like a few others on here, put a fair bit into this forum.

Correct.

http://www.evertonfc.com/stats/?mode=fixture_details&fixture_id=4605

All gone, well done to the winners!

I'll pm DK with your offer Cake and see what he says.

Appreciate the offer and a surprise of epic proportions to have been given the opportunity, but I'm not worthy of the honor. could have participated on this easily enough but took a night out instead. I'm not deserving of any Stubbs publication when others were at least present and attempted for prizes.

I don't mind purchasing a copy of this when available, it'll be money well spent for once instead of wasted on other pursuits but once again, appreciate the offer but its only fair someone else should have a copy or at least more deserving. Above all else, I wouldn't have known all the games that Stubbs had scored in. There at least, signals not being worthy of a copy Thank you but please let someone else have the opportunity

Appreciate the offer and a surprise of epic proportions to have been given the opportunity, but I'm not worthy of the honor. could have participated on this easily enough but took a night out instead. I'm not deserving of any Stubbs publication when others were at least present and attempted for prizes.

I don't mind purchasing a copy of this when available, it'll be money well spent for once instead of wasted on other pursuits but once again, appreciate the offer but its only fair someone else should have a copy or at least more deserving. Above all else, I wouldn't have known all the games that Stubbs had scored in. There at least, signals not being worthy of a copy Thank you but please let someone else have the opportunity

No problem at all. You're welcome. Thinking on I perhaps should have made my offer by 'pm' via MikeO instead of putting it on a public forum so apologies if any embarrassment or offence caused. I'll pm MikeO and see where we go with it from here.

For what it's worth I only knew Bolton away in 2001/02 was a missing answer as I was at the game and it was memorable as Paul Gascoigne got his only league goal for us in a 2-2 draw, with Stubbs obviously getting the other goal.

Stubbs did have a hand in a goal in another Bolton game - a 3-2 win at home in 2004/05 - but he didn't score it. He pulled the end of their wall out of the way and got away with it for Tommy Gravesen to whack a free-kick from the edge of the box into the bottom corner. Tasty game. which we won on an own goal by Jaidi, their monster centre half.

Why weren't Administrators and other authority individuals not allowed to participate on this ? It's late, and I'm tired in my defense, so please excuse if missing something obvious perhaps.

Because we discussed and decided on the format of the competition (having had the books donated). So we knew the answers :).