IGNORED

The greatest names select their greatest games

I didn't watch it, but that (above clip) was from a few days into the 1995 / 96 season when Yeboah was scoring for fun for Leeds United. That was voted 'goal of the season' if memory serves, and he scored a great one on the opening day at West Ham when Leeds won 2 - 1. Fell out of favor quickly though, despite great early promise and was sold on, a year or two later.

Someone got the Tony Adams moment correct. Here's what he had to say -

"I have been very lucky in my career and have accumulated many wonderful memories. Anfield 1989, Michael Thomas's last-minute winner, great defensive displays, the 1991 Championship and the 1994 European Cup Winners Cup to name but a few. But what really moved me was my first sober double. The 1998 season was a very special time in my life and my Everton goal was the pinnacle" (magazine shows picture of Adams scoring against Everton - and winning Arsenal the league championship)

Yeboah and Roberto Carlos were not names featured in 'greatest moments' incidentally.

Only Gascoigne, Platini, Hansen, Beckenbauer, Van Basten and Trautmann to find then. Van Basten's greatest soccer moment is not with the national side it should be noted.

No one's going to feasibly get Marco Van Basten I feel, so take this opportunity to present it.

He said -

"The moment I cherish most is at the same time the lowest point of my career. It was the night AC Milan allowed me to salute the tifosi for the last time. In my normal clothes I walked a lap of honour in the San Siro, and the emotions I felt from the stands were very, very special. It gave me the feeling I really had meant something to a lot of people"

Anyone want to hazard a guess at Platini, or any other remaining names (Hansen, Beckenbauer, Trautmann or Gascoigne) ?

Sorry Mr Roost, that isn't it.

I'll let Franz Beckenbauer take up the story himself, as to be fair, it was a difficult one that may never have got answered.

"Maybe the ultimate emotional moment was the World Cup final against England in 1966. I was a young player, just 20 years old, and it was incredible to play at Wembley Stadium, in the final, to see the Queen. And then the game as well - it was an exciting game with extra-time and the famous third goal. For me the whole thing was very, very emotional.

I remember the whole atmosphere, the whole game. I played six games before that in the world cup, and just six games before that for Germany - I only started my international career in September 1965. It was just fantastic as a young player to get the chance to play in that game. From all the years that I played, that day was the absolute highlight"