IGNORED

The greatest names select their greatest games

Got reading through an old sports publication today and in it, was a special feature about 100 specially selected former professional players, or to put it better, greats of the game, and their greatest soccer moments.

For example -

Alfredo Di Stefano

"My first titles are the ones that have brought me the most satisfaction - my first league championship with River and Millionarios and the first European Cup with Real Madrid (4 - 3 against Stade De Reims 14 June 1956, when Di Stefano scored the fourth). Above all those however, stands my debut for the Argentinian national side in the 1947 South American Championships in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I don't remember who we were playing (Bolivia, with Di Stefano scoring once in a 7 - 0 victory). What I do remember, is that I was 20 years old, that I was wearing the number nine and that felt an immense satisfaction to be playing for Argentina"

It was interesting to read various names and their selected highlights or one special moment and even one or two of our own past players got involved - with surprising results.

Here are ten selected past 'legends' of the game (or at least recognized past names) and maybe see if you can tell what their one favorite or special moment was of their playing careers. Some may be obvious enough but one or two - you would never have imagined it. Well it's only a bit of harmless fun.

#1 Alan Shearer

#2 Tony Adams

#3 Neville Southall

#4 Alan Hansen

#5 Franz Beckenbauer

#6 Paul Gascoigne

#7 Marco Van Basten

#8 Bert Trautmann

#9 Hristo Stoichkov

#10 Michel Platini

No prizes on offer this time and answers will be revealed in due course, but you'd be surprised at what they decided on.

That's one down and an incorrect response. Here's what was actually selected -

Alan Shearer

'That has to be (Shearer selecting his most treasured soccer memory) the moment I walked out at Wembley stadium for the first time as captain of my country (England vs Poland, October 1996). It really was emotional. My insides were in pieces, but I didn't want to show it. I was happy, nervous, proud, nervous and focused all in one moment. It was very, very special for me and my family'

(Without having read the magazine I would have selected lifting the league championship with Blackburn in '95, or his debut for Southampton, or favorite club Newcastle United, or some international moment such as Euro 96 or scoring against Germany at Euro 2000)

Only goes to show how surprising some player responses can be

Stoichkov - USA 94?

That's about as good a correct response

Hristo Stoichkov (said)

"The best moment of my career was definitely the free-kick I scored against Germany in the 1994 World Cup quarter finals to equalise. I'd had another chance from a set-piece, but it wasn't in such a good position, Then I was fouled just outside the box and I thought to myself, this is the moment. I needed to keep my nerves cool, then I hit the ball over the wall and into the net.

Maybe I have scored more better goals - although this one was fantastic - but this was the greatest because of the opposition, the stage of the competition and the timing of the goal. Germany were the reigning world champions, and it feels great to knock out the reigning world champions.

We played some fantastic football, and although the Germans took the lead through a dubious penalty, we didn't lose our confidence and continued to play our game. When I scored that goal, I went straight to our fans. I felt proud that I had sent my country into raptures and I dedicated the goal to my two daughters.

Of course my team mates also deserve a lot of the praise. I was especially pleased Yordan Letchkov got the winner because it had been his tackle on Jurgen Klinsmann that had given away the penalty. What was important was that we stuck together for the whole 90 minutes, played like a real team and won the game"

Trautman, Gascoigne and Southall (2) are not their respective finest soccer moments incidentally. Thought this would catch one or two out.

Gazza @ Italia 90 before the famous tears?

Edit... just read above - not his own personal footballing moment. What about Euro 96 4-1 vs Holland when Shearer and Sheringham bagged a couple each? (Although he played he may not chose this for just his performance - more the whole team).

Edited by c1982

95 final for southall? not the biggest of his achievements but considering his age and performance it meant more to him

That's about the size of it

Neville Southall (picks out his favorite game / moment)

"Beating Manchester United in the 1995 FA Cup Final was the most satisfying moment of my career. Because I knew I would never play in another FA Cup Final. I hadn't thought i'd get back to Wembley as a player, but I did and I did it as a winner - and there's no better feeling in the world than that.

I remember sitting in the bath in the morning and everyone was so relaxed. You wouldn't have thought it was an FA Cup Final. No-one outside of our camp expected us to win so the pressure was all on Man United. They were hot favourites so I knew I could really go out and enjoy and take everything in, enjoy the experience. It was the most pressure-free game I've ever played in.

They were one of the best teams in the world at the time and it was my last ever game for Everton (?), so for me, it was the icing on the cake. It was a feeling of satisfaction more than anything else, that we'd beaten them and deservedly so. If it had been a lesser team, it wouldn't have been so enjoyable. And i'd kept a clean sheet - so from a personal point of view I couldn't have done any more"

three names gone - seven to go

Southall 1985 European Cup Winners Cup semi-final is incorrect

Strange that - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2319236/Everton-favourite-Neville-Southall-discusses-football-ballet-Sportsmail.html

Quote from article in may 2013

"Career highlight?

Playing Bayern Munich in the Cup-Winners Cup semi-final in 1985. We drew 0-0 over there but it took four hours to get into the ground because there were so many people. We ended up winning the second leg and went on to win the final."

Edited by Peter H

What is the finest goal ever scored ?

It's not Van Basten for the Netherlands in 1988 though.

And more to the point, that's not even Van Basten's most memorable soccer moment.

Peter H - It's not (Michel Platini) France 1984, but you're in the right area.

Tony Adams favorite soccer moment is Everton related it should be noted. - Paul Gascoigne has a Scotland connection to it - but it's not Euro 1996.

What is the finest goal ever scored ?

It's not Van Basten for the Netherlands in 1988 though.

And more to the point, that's not even Van Basten's most memorable soccer moment.

Peter H - It's not (Michel Platini) France 1984, but you're in the right area.

Tony Adams favorite soccer moment is Everton related it should be noted. - Paul Gascoigne has a Scotland connection to it - but it's not Euro 1996.

Adams' will be when he scored the 4th in a 4-0 win to seal the title against us - my worst footballing day... cried myself to sleep that night! Thank god for Gareth Farelly!!!