IGNORED

Another American

Howardshands

Hello!

Just created an account after following the team for 5-6 years (at first casually, but ramping it up in the last couple of years).

I live in DC but grew up in the NYC area.

I've been drawn to the team because of the warm and hospitable fan base, as well as being able to watch some American soccer heroes playing for the team (counting Donovan here).

As others have probably mentioned, soccer/football is becoming much bigger in the states and I assume it will be one of the top two supported sports in America in 30 years. But there's a long way to go!

I'm looking forward to following a lot of the discussions in this forum, and thanks for having me!

-Ian

Welcome. I live somewhat close to you, out in Harrisonburg where I teach at JMU. I actually just joined the DCToffees (along with my girldfriend) as well, as they just became the DC area official supporters club. Lots of Yanks here on this forum.

Just had a look at them and where they (you) meet up for live games, Fado Irish Pub & Restaurant; looking at their drinks menu they describe Guinness as, "Ruby red in color.." Really :huh:?

Looks a nice place though, how much beer in general in bars in the States? I've never been.

Just had a look at them and where they (you) meet up for live games, Fado Irish Pub & Restaurant; looking at their drinks menu they describe Guinness as, "Ruby red in color.." Really :huh:?

Looks a nice place though, how much beer in general in bars in the States? I've never been.

They have Guinness Red over there too :)

They have Guinness Red over there too :)

Didn't realise such a thing existed :o.

However, on their menu it's not listed as Guinness Red; and it'd seem strange that it's the only one they sell. Or is it more widely sold over there; more suited to American tastes than the black stuff?

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/washington/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2013/10/WEB.DC_.drinkmenuJune14.pdf

Didn't realise such a thing existed :o.

However, on their menu it's not listed as Guinness Red; and it'd seem strange that it's the only one they sell. Or is it more widely sold over there; more suited to American tastes than the black stuff?

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/washington/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2013/10/WEB.DC_.drinkmenuJune14.pdf

Its quite nice if Im honest :) No idea how widely spread it is. Only seen Draught in bottles in Kentucky but they had it on tap in Arizona...

Don't really understand the description of Ruby Red...perhaps after about 9 pints it will look that way under certain bar lights.

Beer prices vary quite a bit by city/region here in the US, as you might imagine. In big cities, NYC, Washington, you'll probably pay anywhere from 5-7 dollars per pint. But you get out to rural regions, like where I live, and you can pay 3-5, maybe less depending on the brand. There was a bar in my town here where you could get a pint for 0.75 dollars (it was cheap swill--"Natural Light").

Don't really understand the description of Ruby Red...perhaps after about 9 pints it will look that way under certain bar lights.

Oh wait. Scroll all the way down that menu and on the last page it says: Myth Busting. The ‘black stuff’ is actually ruby red in color (hold it up to the light), is always served cold (38-42 degrees) and has a creamy, smooth flavor (never overly bitter). And, it’s not heavy; it has fewer calories than a glass of milk. Don’t think you like Guinness? Let us sample you on ours and change

your mind

Oh wait. Scroll all the way down that menu and on the last page it says: Myth Busting. The ‘black stuff’ is actually ruby red in color (hold it up to the light), is always served cold (38-42 degrees) and has a creamy, smooth flavor (never overly bitter). And, it’s not heavy; it has fewer calories than a glass of milk. Don’t think you like Guinness? Let us sample you on ours and change

your mind

Ah, missed that, got to go and have one now to check it out :beer:.

Never crossed my mind that it was anything other than black and I've had many a pint of it.

Beer prices vary quite a bit by city/region here in the US, as you might imagine. In big cities, NYC, Washington, you'll probably pay anywhere from 5-7 dollars per pint. But you get out to rural regions, like where I live, and you can pay 3-5, maybe less depending on the brand. There was a bar in my town here where you could get a pint for 0.75 dollars (it was cheap swill--"Natural Light").

Have to love the cheap stuff.

Used to walk a block to the nearest bar for $2 pitcher nights. The stuff was terrible, but the times were good. I think it was Bud Light though.