IGNORED

Looking forward, after this international break

I just posted on another thread a critical assessment of our "laboured" play. Here's a somewhat more optimistic (or foolish) post.

Lots of talk about how we have missed a great opprtunity to stay up in 2d place with poor performances recently, generally premised on the view that we've played mostly weak teams thus far. The general assumption is, "Now we have to face the big boys."

But that's not entirely accurate. Following tne break, we have 6 matches in Oct-Nov, of which only 2 are with the big clubs: away to both City and Chelsea. A point at either would be a nice surprise, so I won't count on it. Yet the other 4 are winnable, and 10 from those 12 isn't unreasonable, if we regain our earlier solid form. Take 10 from next 18 possible, and we're at 24 points out of first 13 matches.

First half of December does bring ManU, Arsenal, and Liverpool - but all at Goodison.

Silly to speculate all the way to 2017, so I'll stop short of that. But if - if - Koeman finds a lineup and system that eliminates our laboured play and injects some spirit and fluidity instead, we could look forward to the January window as an optimistic time to add to a good squad rather than as a desperate time to overhaul a mediocre one.

For me, a lot reduces to the most basic of questions: how good are our players? I don't know.

Guest rusty747

i suppose it is a measure of our progress for me to say that I am genuinely disappointed that we are not top of the league right now. if we had won the eminently winnable games v Bournemouth and Palace then that is where we would be right now. granted that our first 7 games would have to be viewed as less difficult than the teams around us but it would have been a wonderful feeling to have gone into the international break unbeaten and with 19 points from 7 games.

it is easy to say it started to go wrong v Norwich but I dont accept that. I think the problem is still 15% fitness and 85% a lack of winning mentality. Each player seems now to be waiting for something to happen rather than making something happen. that is sensed by the crowd who then get nervous and transmit the negative vibes back onto the pitch.

The front four are doing their best to press but pressing is a team game which requires fitness and stamina from 11 players for 90 minutes. Barry is a player I really admire but pressing is really not his style.

Some difficult choices may need to be made in January if we are to continue with Koeman's pressing style - and it may spell the end for Barry.

Guest rusty747

But we should be so much better than top half. I wouldn't go so far as to say we could do a Leicester but if we had got those 19 points I think we could have maintained the positivity to see us through more difficult games and have genuinely targeted a top 5/6 finish.

Now, we havelost 5 points to teams that we should expect to beat and have 2 weeks to ruminate on missed opportunities, rather than 2 weeks to enjoy being top of the league.

I totally accept that the title isn't won in October but a club in our position really should be trying to grab every positive headline that it can - to instil confidence in our own players and to make us more attractive to transfer targets. That isn't happening and we have lost a great deal more than 5 points imho.

i suppose it is a measure of our progress for me to say that I am genuinely disappointed that we are not top of the league right now. if we had won the eminently winnable games v Bournemouth and Palace then that is where we would be right now. granted that our first 7 games would have to be viewed as less difficult than the teams around us but it would have been a wonderful feeling to have gone into the international break unbeaten and with 19 points from 7 games.

it is easy to say it started to go wrong v Norwich but I dont accept that. I think the problem is still 15% fitness and 85% a lack of winning mentality. Each player seems now to be waiting for something to happen rather than making something happen. that is sensed by the crowd who then get nervous and transmit the negative vibes back onto the pitch.

The front four are doing their best to press but pressing is a team game which requires fitness and stamina from 11 players for 90 minutes. Barry is a player I really admire but pressing is really not his style.

Some difficult choices may need to be made in January if we are to continue with Koeman's pressing style - and it may spell the end for Barry.

Or at the very least, moderation for Barry's involvement. I'm sure everyone wants to limit his playing time so he's more effective when he is included.

Edited by nutmegwolf203

But we should be so much better than top half. I wouldn't go so far as to say we could do a Leicester but if we had got those 19 points I think we could have maintained the positivity to see us through more difficult games and have genuinely targeted a top 5/6 finish.

Now, we havelost 5 points to teams that we should expect to beat and have 2 weeks to ruminate on missed opportunities, rather than 2 weeks to enjoy being top of the league.

I totally accept that the title isn't won in October but a club in our position really should be trying to grab every positive headline that it can - to instil confidence in our own players and to make us more attractive to transfer targets. That isn't happening and we have lost a great deal more than 5 points imho.

the optimist in me thinks we should win the league every year and dominate teams. the realist in me realizes the manager has been here 3 months and has a bunch of dead wood he inherited. he has a brand new DOF who's never done that job before and a newish owner. it's gonna take time.

Which is precisely why we should have taken the League Cup game with Norwich seriously

Let's be honest we drew with Spurs who turned over Citeh, but lost and drew to teams we believe we should have beaten.

Utd have been beaten by Watford the Shite at Burnley, no-one is going to win every game their supporters believe they should in this league.

My assessment so far is yeah we could've done slightly better but i'd have taken this start to the season no question. Will we improve the squad in January?? Probably so if we're still where we are now fantastic, kick on from there.

Edited by smeghead1

I think we have to be realistic and I honestly think koeman is the perfect man for us. He knows football inside out and he knows what the squad is like. It's sad when we're all worrying about Barry and managing his playing time. I think that sums it up. We are seriously lacking in quality in the depth of the squad. I think he would have told morishi don't expect miracles this season but when he gets three transfer windows under his belt and a few quid spent we will be a serious team. I'm a little dissapointed we aren't higher up but it's only seven games into his reign. We don't concede many and I think we are going to click soon going forward and are going to smash a few decent teams

It's been a decent start to the season. Another win or two would have been nice, but really we are in a good position. The City game is a free one, if we get a point it's a good result, no expectation in that game for me, but right after it we need to go again, Burnley and West Ham both need to be wins.

If we can stay in the top six going into January I'd like to see us be a bit ruthless in the transfer window. If Leicester are sitting around 15th in the table I'd like to make a strong bid for Mahrez, or if West Ham are still in the bottom three make a bid for Payet. Another creative player could be a big lift for the last half of the season.