IGNORED

Stoke City (Away) Wednesday February 1st

markjazzbassist

Thank you Shukes for playing the ball and not the man. I am of the opinion that Everton's interplay and creativity in the final 3rd is lacking. In my humble opinion it is a nr 10's job to be the main link and the creater in that area. In that regard Barkley is letting us down by a long shot in most games.What is impotant is what Barkley does with the ball after a bursting run and after receiving the ball. He does not distribute quickly and creatively enough in open play.

If this forum wants to encourage healthy debate members will have to be much more tolerant and much less abusive in their personal attacks on others. Some members focus on the positives other on the negatives - you need both to get the real picture. As soon as i do not feel welcome here it will be the easiest thing in the world to find another platform to share my "boring crap" with.

sorry man just don't buy your argument that it all relies on the 10. Baines and Pienaar were our most creative under Moyes, didn't need a 10 with creativity then. De Bruyne and Silva mostly play on the wings and are their teams creative spark, they are not 10's. Arteta sat deep for arsenal as a 6 and was pulling the strings, he wasn't a 10.

your reliance on this 10 does everything creative is just not factual. we don't play a 4231 like Martinez with a 10. we play a 343/352/532 and there isn't a ten.

the one thing i'll agree with you is that barkley isn't a 10, he's more box to box so an 8 for me.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Who then is supposed to be our linking distributors and creative players? Because whoever they are (if it is not Barkley) then they are not doing their job in the final third. My argument is that Everton desperately needs such a player to keep things together in the final 3rd because Barkley does not suit that role.

Who then is supposed to be our linking distributors and creative players? Because whoever they are (if it is not Barkley) then they are not doing their job in the final third. My argument is that Everton desperately needs such a player to keep things together in the final 3rd because Barkley does not suit that role.

in Martinez first season it was barry. it was still barry setting up attacks and spraying passes everywhere this season. now that he's been benched I expect to see schneiderlin spraying passes everywhere to start attacks and threading through balls.

you think barkley doesn't suit that role, I think he doesn't even play that role. it's like judging a boxer on his driving, he's not a driver, he's a boxer. barkley isn't david silva, santi cazorla, xavi. he's ross barkley driving balls forward on counters and taking shots and being about himself in the box.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Under Koeman we play with an attacking 3 of Lukaku, Mirallas, and Barkley which can also include the full backs over lapping. With 3 at the back it also allows the likes of Davies to get forward and contribute. In that way it is not one persons responsibility to be the link between midfield and attack, so that one person cannot be marked out of the game.

Koeman likes Lukaku and Mirallas / Lookman to stay further forward to create that space for the wing-backs and midfielders.

Tournament Apps Mins Assists KeyP AvgP PS% Crosses LongB ThrB Rating

PL 19(2) 1660 4 2.3 41.3 82.5 0.8 2.5 - 7.01

Compare to Delli Alli

Tournament Apps Mins Assists KeyP AvgP PS% Crosses LongB ThrB Rating

PL 20(2) 1720 2 1.3 32.7 79.9 - 1.8 0.1 7.27

Ross has more assists, more key passes, more passes and a higher success rate.

Edited by London Blue

Then Everton must not expect much creativity and interplay in the final third if our main creater is a slow defensive mid like Barry. That is exactly why we are struggling to play through the middle like most great sides do.

I would be very surprised if most Everton fans would agree that we are purposefully playing without a creative attacking midfielder in the final 3rd. That is Everton's missing link - and that is exactly my whole argument and why i am so harsh on Barkley - he is occupying space in the midfield which a creative player should do - not a dribbling shooter. Barkley should be played on the wing because his defense is too suspect to play him further back but everybody is trying to make a nr 10 of him which, as you rightly say, he is clearly not. We seem to agree on the attributes of Barkley but differ on his expected role in the team.

That puts him in 54 th position in the PL with 3 other Everton players ahead of him on that list - all 3 defensive mids/defenders - that is why i want more creativity in the final 3rd - 54th is our best in that department (final 3rd) and that is simply not good enough - that proves my point very well.