IGNORED

Stoke City (Away) Wednesday February 1st

markjazzbassist

Thank fuck for that. A fair result but a shit game to watch.

Stoke are a very physical side. They foul more than they pass. Always tough to play against, they definitely out fought us tonight.

For us, no one had a great, even good, game as far as I'm concerned. We gave the ball away far too much. Much more than I'm used to seeing.

You could see the effort was there but it just wasn't happening, possibly due to the constant fouling, closing down and pressure of Stoke. Possibly because we just weren't at it on the night.

Lukaku had one of those games were unless he scores, you're more or less playing with 10 men. Offered minimal.

One to forget for us this one. We move on!!!

Scrappy game with Everton's passing not good enough. We created far too few chances. We still desperately need a creative attacking midfielder. Barkley will never make it there. I am focusing on our weak spot more than on Barkley as a player. Sorry for upsetting some - but argue with facts not emotion if you do not agree with me. Good night.

What an absolute horrible team Stoke are. Hoofing it up at any chance to Crouch and have shithouses like Adam, Shawcross and Bardsley flying into tackles thinking they're the next crazy gang. The conditions were horrible so to come away with a point is decent taking everything into consideriation. With their aerial threat and Adam's delivery I was a bit nervous in that second half. Great move from Koeman going to a back 4 it must be said. Completely shut down Arnautovic and stopped any momentum they had. Still unbeaten in the league since the Derby so onwards and upwards.

Edited by Geth

decent result away to stoke on a windy night. Robles kept us in it. Gotta question why McCarthy was put on, he offered nothing tonight but back and sideways passes. He is a destroyer who adds nothing in attack. I also thought Davies had a "come back to earth" match where he was mostly anonymous. Schneiderlin and Barkley the only ones looking to play FORWARD, and not sideways or backwards.

I said before the game that I wouldn't be happy with a point considering it's Stoke but to the home sides credit they gave us a battle tonight. I think that we had the lion's share of the chances (especially in the second half) but every now and then Stoke would wriggle through our defence and lash a shot at goal, it was one of those games that could quite easily have been lost had a few things swung in their favour.

Credit to Koeman for changing shape in the second half as it just wasn't working in the first 45. Holgate was being mugged left, right and centre by Arnautovic and even though Schneiderlin had a few wobbly moments in the second half did well in his new role allowing McCarthy & Davies to get further forward - the latter really unlucky not to get on the score-sheet with that fine header from close range.

Lukaku was anonymous but I think a lot of that was due to Stoke putting pressure on our play-makers and marking him out of the game than him being lazy. Had we more space and time to pick him out I think he could have gave a better representation of himself.

A bore result on paper but this means we're still undefeated with a nice home tie against Bournemouth at the weekend. It won't be easy for sure but it's a lot easier knowing our run is still intact than going against them on the back of a wet, Wednesday Stoke drubbing.

side note: what the hell place is stoke? seems like every match is some severe weather event there. wind, rain, sleet, snow. does God hate that place or something?

The highest altitude of any other league stadium. I guess that's why the weather is always aweful.

Scrappy game with Everton's passing not good enough. We created far too few chances. We still desperately need a creative attacking midfielder. Barkley will never make it there. I am focusing on our weak spot more than on Barkley as a player. Sorry for upsetting some - but argue with facts not emotion if you do not agree with me. Good night.

Every match Barkley is playing you come on this site and post nothing but crap about him. Every miss-placed pass is a tragedy, every ball that does not come off is a disaster. He is not perfect, he makes mistakes, but you just twist every little thing against him.

WTF is your problem with him. You know what I don't even care you are just too sad.

Today Holgate defended quite poorly (he'll learn from this hopefully) but I am unsure whether that means that we should throw out the 3-5-2 formation that has served us so well over the past month - but on the other hand I don't know how you could leave one of Davies, Schneiderlin or Gueye out of the starting XI. For this reason I think Koeman will go with a 4-3-1-2 with Gueye playing just in front of the back 4 and from Koeman's post match comments I think he will start Lookman in place of Mirallas who was largely ineffectual today.

Joel

Coleman Williams Funes Mori Baines

Davies Gueye Schneiderlin

Barkley

Lookman Lukaku

Regardless of the formation Bournemouth aren't in the best form and have only won 2 games from 11 away from home this season so we should dominate the majority of the game.

Guest rusty747

Missed opportunity with Man U only drawing at home to Hull, but Stoke away is never easy, horrible weather and we are coming on the the back of a long break.

I said before this game that I would take 10 points from the next 12, so we just need to win the next 3.

I hope we can get the intensity, cohesion and game plan working better on Saturday though.

Every match Barkley is playing you come on this site and post nothing but crap about him. Every miss-placed pass is a tragedy, every ball that does not come off is a disaster. He is not perfect, he makes mistakes, but you just twist every little thing against him.

WTF is your problem with him. You know what I don't even care you are just too sad.

Just another emotional outburst by an Everton fan who cannot accept that his favourite player can ever play badly. I was not the only one on this thread who thought Barkley had a bad game. It is my right to focus on one player if i wish to - especially if i regard him as the weakest link in the team in that position.It is your right to correct me by pointing out all the good things he does. Barkley was pick pocketed like a schoolboy on a number of occasions which led to him giving the ball away by unnecessary loose passes as well - not good enough for a team's main play maker and creater. He went for goal from a long distance when Lukaku was begging him to lay it up - another failure as a creater. Everton will not go to the next level with him in the nr 10 position. It seems as though the English manager agrees with me as far as Barkley's potential as a nr 10 is concerned. Please read ALL my posts in a thread before you make sweeping, incorrect statements, mixed with personal insults. I expected better from an English gentleman from London. You sound more like someone from Stoke sir! -" just too sad" as they say.

Really not getting the Barkley criticism about last night. I thought he was probably our best outfield player, particularly in the first half.

agreed, and Schneiderlins ability to turn and push the ball to him with Davies always supporting gave him a lot better support. Shame there were so many balls that got intercepted (not just Barkley mind you) to Rom because I thought he made several good runs and would've been through 3-4 times were it not for good defending. Wasn't Roms best game mind,

Just another emotional outburst by an Everton fan who cannot accept that his favourite player can ever play badly. I was not the only one on this thread who thought Barkley had a bad game. It is my right to focus on one player if i wish to - especially if i regard him as the weakest link in the team in that position.It is your right to correct me by pointing out all the good things he does. Barkley was pick pocketed like a schoolboy on a number of occasions which led to him giving the ball away by unnecessary loose passes as well - not good enough for a team's main play maker and creater. He went for goal from a long distance when Lukaku was begging him to lay it up - another failure as a creater. Everton will not go to the next level with him in the nr 10 position. It seems as though the English manager agrees with me as far as Barkley's potential as a nr 10 is concerned. Please read ALL my posts in a thread before you make sweeping, incorrect statements, mixed with personal insults. I expected better from an English gentleman from London. You sound more like someone from Stoke sir! -" just too sad" as they say.

No - you are just boring.

You do the same with Lukaku. Its boring. Lukaku is far from my favourite player but I don't need to see someone say "he's given the ball away" - I do watch the game... you make few other posts about the game other than to go on about a targeted player.

Players will give the ball away - if they miscontrol it or mess up a simple ball then ok - its worthy of criticism..... you do it even when they are trying a low percentage - high reward pass that would result in a clear chance if it comes off.

Fans like you are the ones who have had a detrimental impact on Ross. Do you think every number 10 has high pass completions? They are there trying to unpick a defence - they may make 7 or 8 of these risky passes in the hope that 1 or 2 get through.

agreed, and Schneiderlins ability to turn and push the ball to him with Davies always supporting gave him a lot better support. Shame there were so many balls that got intercepted (not just Barkley mind you) to Rom because I thought he made several good runs and would've been through 3-4 times were it not for good defending. Wasn't Roms best game mind,

Thought Lukaku was pretty awful Matt. Nothing to do with service or touch or anything other than the fact that he pretty much did not want to be there - plain and simple.

Watching him last night made me gutted that we never bought a striker in January. He needs someone there to pressure him. He really short changed the fans last night.... I can accept it "not being his night" - it wasn't a case of that.... he just never wanted to be there.

Pity as in recent weeks he had really improved his team contribution. He owes us a performance next match.

Thought Lukaku was pretty awful Matt. Nothing to do with service or touch or anything other than the fact that he pretty much did not want to be there - plain and simple.

Watching him last night made me gutted that we never bought a striker in January. He needs someone there to pressure him. He really short changed the fans last night.... I can accept it "not being his night" - it wasn't a case of that.... he just never wanted to be there.

Pity as in recent weeks he had really improved his team contribution. He owes us a performance next match.

To be honest, I only saw the first 70 mins but I thought he did ok. His movement was alright, not great, but I don't think he was awful. Certainly could've done better mind you

On the positive side, I was soooo impressed with Schneiderlin. He just oozes class and calm, turned people inside out then moved forward immediately, harried people non-stop. If it wasn't for Joels performances, he was easily my MOTM.

Starting to think a 3421 is going to be our prefered formation, but it's a great headache for Koeman.

Schneiderlin had 2 passes in particular that almost opened us up, including the one that was passed sideways across the width of the field. He looked a little rusty in spells, but in other spells he was brilliant. I think he is going to be an excellent addition. I just wonder wonder where Gana is going to fit in with the changes we have made in the last month

I did read all your posts, and what pissed me off is he fact is that the vast majority of your posts you don't comment on the game, you just slag off whichever player you have targeted, which in alot of cases is Barkley.

I am a fan of his but I recognise he has his faults and has bad games. When he is getting his form and confidence back I would expect fans to cheer him and the team on. As others have said playing in his role he is going to attempt higher risk passes that won't always come off, but when they do they lead to chances. If you want to look at the stats you can see that recently he has created many chances and has a pretty high pass completion rate, I'm at work now but will find them for you later.

I absolutely respect your right to your opinion, I would respect your opinion more if it wasn't so one dimensional.

Also. Know a couple of people from Stoke and they are thoroughly charming.

Barkley did have his pockets picked very cheaply in at least theee occasions.

He did though have a few good bursting runs forward.

He was also looking for the ball the whole game, and was involved in pretty much everything we do.

I actually think he looks a much more mature player these days.

Thank you Shukes for playing the ball and not the man. I am of the opinion that Everton's interplay and creativity in the final 3rd is lacking. In my humble opinion it is a nr 10's job to be the main link and the creater in that area. In that regard Barkley is letting us down by a long shot in most games.What is impotant is what Barkley does with the ball after a bursting run and after receiving the ball. He does not distribute quickly and creatively enough in open play.

If this forum wants to encourage healthy debate members will have to be much more tolerant and much less abusive in their personal attacks on others. Some members focus on the positives other on the negatives - you need both to get the real picture. As soon as i do not feel welcome here it will be the easiest thing in the world to find another platform to share my "boring crap" with.