IGNORED

Who owns the rights to z cars?

Finn balor

11 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Just watching a review of the weekend footie and I forget sometimes that Watford play our song. I know it was a popular programme in the 60s but can’t we buy the rights and fuck Watford off? Surely they can play yellow brick road or summat?

It pisses me right off when I hear it from them, we’ve had it for years, why would they want to adopt it?

56 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Why would you copy what another side already use? No creative thinking there, it pisses me off, never more than when we play there.

We’re the originals take solace and pride in that, they are the copycats and will have to live with the shame of that for as long as they continue to play it, wankers. 

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Surely we must have to pay to use it though? If so can’t we buy it? 

Short answer no, well actually yes but the copyright owners would ask for a ridiculous amount while they're bringing in royalties from multiple users. Copyright law is complex and involves the PRS (Performing Rights Society) and the MCPS (Mechanical Copyright Protection Society). My dad had a music publishing company and basically it involved doing sod all apart from waiting for the quarterly cheque to drop through the door; he made a lot of money from it though unfortunately the other two music biz production companies he started at the same time failed dismally and all three failed ultimately because one couldn't support support the other two. Shame because he could've been Richard Branson-esque and I could be minted, not that I'm bitter:crying:

BBC programme so they probably own the rights as everything was done in house then.

Music copyright lasts 70 years I think so after that time it enters the public domain, unless the copyright hold re-records it. Usually costs the fortune to buy the rights to a song, and even then you only get royalties when it is re-recorded by someone, or player on the radio, so pointless to fork out the money for something like z cars.

Public venues usually have to pay an annual fee for a licence to the MCPS to play copyrighted music, which is what we have I guess.