IGNORED

Video-technology In Football.

its bound to be introduced sooner rather than later. the main thing is that it interrupts the game as little as possible.

I think that there are 3 occasions when video should be used. 2 during the match and one after the match.

during the match video should be used for disputed penalty decisions and disputed goals.

on both these occasions play is halted anyway so the match wouldnt be unnecessarily interrupted.

for example a disputed penalty decision could often be cleared up by video in a matter of seconds.

a disputed goal, such as an offside goal, could also be quickly cleared up. and on both these occasions the match is halted anyway.

the 3rd occasion is after the match. the game can be reviewed and any fouls or serious incidents that the ref missed during the game can be dealt with.

for example off the ball incidents or goal mouth holding or obstructing, hard to see in the whirlwind of play, can be dealt with by issuing a yellow card AFTER the game.

if players knew that retribution awaited them, and the long armof the f.a. law could reach them after the match, a lot of this behaviour would stop and the game would be improved substantially.

Whilst I can see good reason for video evidence, I personally like the fact that football has it's contraversial moments and in fact if you look back in football's history, some of the most talked about issues are goals that should/shouldn't have been given (Russian Linesmen for instance).

I prefer to have goals given or disallowed by the men on the pitch instead of waiting in anticipation of a decision on the screen as in Rugby League.

I agree that post match punishments however for off the ball incidents and blatent diving (especially if the 'diver' is successful in fooling the refereee) should be dished out!!

Edited by sheedysheedysheedy

Do you really think the video panels will be unbiased? I dont, they'll be just like the shite referees, they'll know nothing about football and the so called 'bigger' teams will get off with more than the 'small' teams.

For example Callum Davenport got his red card rescinded when he brought down Agbonlahor as the last man, but when Sheff United appealed the red card given to Davis when he was the last man and fouled AJ they wouldnt rescind it. Wheres the consistency there?

Edited by Romey 1878

Which is one of the reasons why it would only work if it was deciding on matters of fact..ie did the ball cross the line or not and was someone offside. Fouls and handballs are very rarely black or white and intent has to be established in many cases so it would never work in deciding on penalty decisions (there could be a possible exception to that in, for example when we got the pen against Watford this season a video official could tell the ref he's wrong when it's such an obvious mistake). Problem with retrospectively over-ruling an incorrect offside decision is that the defence often stops playing when the flag goes up....and allowing an undefended goal would be stupid. But then there are times (Watford yesterday) when justice would suggest allowing the goal and times (Newcastle against us) when it should be disallowed.

I wouldn't want to write or administer the law...don't think it would reduce controversy at all, ball crossing the line decisions excepted...it's incomprehensible to me why that wasn't introduced years ago...it's simple technology.

New technology?, just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

Can you imagine TT without contentious decisions?.

Our life as Evertonians would be a dull meaningless existance, no-one out to get us, no biased referee's. How would we pass the time if none of our paranoia is being fed.

Just a thought.................

ATB

Mac

In Australia, we have a video tribunal that looks at the footage of the weekend matches for incidents during the course of the game. Mainly to stamp out rough play, misconduct etc. They would look at fouls, off the ball incidents.

At the end of every weekend, there is news on players being called up to the 'tribunal' for striking, or rough play etc. The penalty is usually 1, 2 or 3 weeks suspension. Each Tuesday after the weekend, the players would front up to the tribunal to plead their case so on and so forth.

But the video refs would not be making decisions on things like whether a ball crossed the line etc. In games like rugby and cricket, even american gridiron, there is an element of stop/start where a video ref could be employed, but in football the idea is to keep the game flowing. I agree, to stop the game to wait for a video decision would spoil things. If video technology were to be used, use it for on-the-spot decisions. Hawkeye on the goal line? A camera that moves parallel to the field of play watched by the 4th official to make on-the-spot offside recommendations, perhaps indicated by a red or green light?

• 2 weeks later...
Works great in Rugby L.

Though I feel that game is more in a natural lineage with the short interuptions than ours would.

Still, a debate that will continue as technologies further advance again etc.

video evidence would be examined at times when the game has already stopped.

for instance a controversial goal. the match is stopped and its either a kickoff or a goalkick.

same with other occassions: "during the match video should be used for disputed penalty decisions and disputed goals.

on both these occasions play is halted anyway so the match wouldnt be unnecessarily interrupted.

for example a disputed penalty decision could often be cleared up by video in a matter of seconds.

a disputed goal, such as an offside goal, could also be quickly cleared up. and on both these occasions the match is halted anyway.

the 3rd occasion is after the match. the game can be reviewed and any fouls or serious incidents that the ref missed during the game can be dealt with."

there would be minimal interruption to the game. and the result would be much fairer.

Works great in Rugby L.

Though I feel that game is more in a natural lineage with the short interuptions than ours would.

Still, a debate that will continue as technologies further advance again etc.

you think so? ive been watching the tri nations on sky and thus far they have been nothing but a dismal failure. and i heard that a lebanese team in the aussie comp were cheated from the video ref. is that true?

you think so? ive been watching the tri nations on sky and thus far they have been nothing but a dismal failure. and i heard that a lebanese team in the aussie comp were cheated from the video ref. is that true?

how can anyone cheat with a hardcopy of the evidence for all to see? i'd imagine that the offcial would be out of a job pretty quick under those circumstances!

it doesnt mean that there will be no more mistakes, just fewer and thats all we can expect.

Java......"how can anyone cheat with a hardcopy of the evidence for all to see? i'd imagine that the offcial would be out of a job pretty quick under those circumstances".

Doesnt matter about what the video replay shows, its how they interpret it.....and as you said it, does'nt mean there will be no more mistakes, cos people will view the evidence differently.

THE JUDGES DECISION IS ALWAYS FINAL.

Edited by Licker

• 3 weeks later...

something has just occured to me,

say Tim Cahill is running in from a chipped ball from Mikel Arteta the Ball bounces high and looks like it hits an arm cahill shoves off a defender ref says its fair and blasts home Ref does a square for handball (going to tv ref) tv ref see's it doesnt hit cahill arm BUT The Tv Ref Thinks its a foul when Cahill beats the defender to control the ball and blast home!

Basically my Point is, Unlike Cricket or Rugby, there is still going to be inconsistancy on decisions depending on the POV of the TV ref!

something has just occured to me,

say Tim Cahill is running in from a chipped ball from Mikel Arteta the Ball bounces high and looks like it hits an arm cahill shoves off a defender ref says its fair and blasts home Ref does a square for handball (going to tv ref) tv ref see's it doesnt hit cahill arm BUT The Tv Ref Thinks its a foul when Cahill beats the defender to control the ball and blast home!

Basically my Point is, Unlike Cricket or Rugby, there is still going to be inconsistancy on decisions depending on the POV of the TV ref!

as i said in a previous post.........

Doesnt matter about what the video replay shows, its how they interpret it.....and as you said it, does'nt mean there will be no more mistakes, cos people will view the evidence differently.

THE JUDGES DECISION IS ALWAYS FINAL

Edited by Licker

I volunteer to be the video ref for all Everton matches and I promise to always tell the truth ;);) . Funny enough I was watching Josh's school training match last week and was perfectly in line to see a cracking shot by one of the lads miss by about a foot...the coach asked me whether it was in so I said no...however...if Josh had had the shot would I have answered differently :unsure::lol: .

Talking about Video evidence did anybody see the wrestling match between Spurs and Boro players last night, should be 6 yellow cards for spurs players and at least 3 more for Boro players.

But all that will happen is the FA will charge the Clubs for failing to control their players, and they'll get a couple of thousand pounds fine.

This is the video evidence they should use, about ten players from both sides ran from 50 yards away to get involved in a scrap that had fuck all to do with them, they all went down in a heap onto the running track right in front of the Crowd, the 4th official, and the linesman.

Had to laugh at the linesman he was right there when it started, he shit himself and done one, nowhere to be seen.................Coward.

Just got to book all these fookers that get involved in a mass brawl.