IGNORED

Education Education Education

jamiemaher85

Just thought i'd start this up to see what people do/ have done education wise.

I have just finished a degree in Film and Drama and will be starting my Masters in Film Production and Screen Writing in september.

I also have 4 A-Levels A-C and 11 GCSE's A*-C

Sorry if this is a topic thats already been done.

Edited by jamiemaher85

Your masters sounds absolutly class!!!! I really wanted to do that kind of thing, went for another option though.

Television & Radio production - University of Salford

gives me all kind of interesting options, like next year ill be picking, scriptwritting and directing for fiction as my options because yes one day I will write my own sitcom and it will be the best the UK has seen since SPACED....... or not, I mean either way?!

Your masters sounds absolutly class!!!! I really wanted to do that kind of thing, went for another option though.

Television & Radio production - University of Salford

gives me all kind of interesting options, like next year ill be picking, scriptwritting and directing for fiction as my options because yes one day I will write my own sitcom and it will be the best the UK has seen since SPACED....... or not, I mean either way?!

Really looking forward to doing the Masters course, ive always really enjoyed writng so will be good to do that.

You got any ideas on what your sitcom would be based on?

I have attatched the last script i wrote (and the one that got me a place on my MA) if anyones intrested. any feedback would be more than welcome.

Spartacus_and_Howrd.doc

I really dont know about my sitcom of yet, me and my mate are teaming up at the minute to create something awsome before we leave, somethin that people will be talking about for years to come!! Thats my ambition, just to create something that gets me both recognised and lines my wallet well.

If were gona get all past results then, 3 A levels 11 GCSE's

Really lookin forward to script writing, what sort of things did you learn Jamie?

Edited by Dunny the Blue

I really dont know about my sitcom of yet, me and my mate are teaming up at the minute to create something awsome before we leave, somethin that people will be talking about for years to come!! Thats my ambition, just to create something that gets me both recognised and lines my wallet well.

If were gona get all past results then, 3 A levels 11 GCSE's

Really lookin forward to script writing, what sort of things did you learn Jamie?

Well i havn't studied scriptwritng or anthing like that during my BA. My first degree was mainly theory based, history of hollywood, sfx, sound editing and i did my dissertaion on the commercial appeal of marketing of Tim Burton.

I cant wait to start studying on a practical course where i will actually be taught how to write scripts

Just read your script. I thought it was absolutly amazing. Reall, really well written. I think you've got a future there (trying not to sound like a programm comisioner!!)

Honestly it was great, my only and i do mean only problem with it was all the swearing, too much of it for me, and i feel "twit" abit strong for general sitcoms, but hey its your work. on the whole bloody well done!!!!

I thought scrip writing and comedy/writing in general was vocational, you know, you just sort of had a love for it and so on

didnt think you "learned" that sort of thing at Uni.

John Sullivan would be turning in his grave (and hes not even dead)

well im not a massive fan of newer sitcoms coz most of em just repeat themselves and use the same gags. ie:little britain and catherine tate.

however i like the old classics. morcambe and wise (yes i like em) dad's army, allo' allo and the old stand ups like richard pryor, jasper carrott and jim davidson.

thats pretty much it

I thought scrip writing and comedy/writing in general was vocational, you know, you just sort of had a love for it and so on

didnt think you "learned" that sort of thing at Uni.

John Sullivan would be turning in his grave (and hes not even dead)

its true that writng is a vocational thing and it can't be taught from scratch. but doing a course in it can help you hone skills and start preparing scripts at a professional standard.

One of the main reasons im doing the MA i chose is because they teach you about getting published/ commisioned.

there are also small things like the technical terminology that must be put into scripts.

just thought i would clear this one up.

but you can;t teach comedy, that kinda has to be their already

I have,

10 GCSE's grade A-C

1 Complete year of A-Level Geog, Biology & Maths (sadly the year before they introduced AS levels)

AVCE in combined Engineering

City & Guilds Level 1,2 & 3 in 2 dimensional CAD

City & Guilds Level 2 & 3 in 3 dimensional CAD

HNC Engineering - Mechanical Bias

I still dont know what I bloody want to do with myself <_<

Recently got into "Spaced" - absolutly incredible!! I'm hooked, either series, fantastic, theyve been in my DVD player non stop since i bought them!!

Spaced is awesome.

At the moment i reallt love Garth Merneghi's Dark Place. Its brilliant. Its a satire of 70's/80's sci fi shows, its very funny:- but i think alot of people wouldn;t like it. My girlfriend hates it

I have to go with Spike Milligan (fucking genius), Pythons, Chris Rock, Bill Hicks, The Big Yin and of course Tommy (the man) Cooper.

ATB

Mac

comical genius he is mac.

i have:

8 gcse's A-C and one F coz the teacher cheated on marking the coursework so everyone in our year either got F or E.

atm im on course to get a diploma in Web Development.

once i get my diploma i will prob move onto games development which gives you two diplomas then hopefully onto uni...

Got to say Mac, Tommy "the man" Cooper - Good call, no, GREAT call, Ive seen his shows on variouse channells, DVDs, absolutly amazing comic!!!

Garth Marenghis Dark Place - The most amazing sitcom!!! I bought it when it first came out cos I remeber some of it from TV, safe to say I had it in my DVD player for months!!! I even tried to copy it as part of a project, I had to give up as It was never gona be a match!!!

but you can;t teach comedy, that kinda has to be their already

With huge apologies in advance and I hate myself for doing this and it's nothing personal Jamie but you're an example and you got the short straw....with all those GCSE's and A levels and a degree you still don't know your apostrophes from your semi-colons and your there from your their. There are people far worse than you and it doesn't normally bother me but how can you be a writer with such a poor grasp of grammar? End of old fart alert and again I apologise.

Anyhow back in the days when you got O levels and had to do a bit more than spell your name right to get an A ( :lol: ) I got five E's, three D's, a C and three B's which translates as four passes and eight fails (a fail by the way is an old fashioned term for saying you didn't pass...don't think they have these anymore :P ). I then did a year of A level Technical Drawing and Economics (plus some retakes) before being invited to leave :( . Didn't do any more until ten/twelve years ago since when I've got a number of counselling certificates from Bridgwater College and Bristol University. I also got my scientist badge at cubs.

Did I apologise to you yet Jamie? If not then I do, profusely....it's the system, keep at it!

Mike, a lot of students at university are having real problems with their spelling and grammar. Which in turn means a lot of unneccessary marks are lost.

I like to think I'm good at both spelling and grammar but obviously I do get things wrong as I'm an idiot and never reread what I write before handing it in.

I've got 9 GCSEs all A-C.

Grade D in English Language. Did do two others but fell out with the teacher in English Literature after the first month so quit, and was too dumb to pass my physics. Main reasons for only getting one is being a dick. Never took anything serioulsy so never revised. It didn't help that majority of my mates weren't doing A-Levels so pissed about and I did as well. One of my regrets that though.

Went to Darlington and got a HND in Journalism and now at Leeds Uni doing Sports Journalism. Can't wait to finish though.

Edited by TrueBlue

in all fairness my posts on here my not have perfect grammer but that is mainly because i type my messages quickly becasue im at work and not supposed to be on the internet. I do know my apostrophies from my semi colons its just that i dont usually have time to correct mistakes on here. At least i don't use text talk though coz dat wud b crp.

I understand that you have already apologised but i had to fight my corner.

PS- congrats on your science badge at cubs

Mike, a lot of students at university are having real problems with their spelling and grammar. Which in turn means a lot of unneccessary marks are lost.

I like to think I'm good at both spelling and grammar but obviously I do get things wrong as I'm an idiot and never reread what I write before handing it in.

I've got 9 GCSEs all A-C.

Grade D in English Language. Did do two others but fell out with the teacher in English Literature after the first month so quit, and was too dumb to pass my physics. Main reasons for only getting one is being a dick. Never took anything serioulsy so never revised. It didn't help that majority of my mates weren't doing A-Levels so pissed about and I did as well. One of my regrets that though.

Went to Darlington and got a HND in Journalism and now at Leeds Uni doing Sports Journalism. Can't wait to finish though.

Did you spell "unneccessary" wrong on purpose then :) Sorry couldnt help it (im one to talk :rolleyes: )