IGNORED

Arshavin

^^^ Ive just watched 10 minutes of Fernandes against Arsenal on youtube, he was sensational, we out played them in a 4 4 2 with Arteta Carlsey Fernandes Osman << Him and Cars made Diaby and Fabregas look average that game so theres no reason they couldnt play as good again with Pienaar who imo is better than Ossie so we could really challenge the top teams.

just watched more of Arshavin on YT he looks class

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, that's all I ever ask and I think your post was excellent. The points you made about Cahill were very accurate and I agree with all of them, it's just - as you said - I don't want to buy some flavour of the month to replace Cahill when in reality he is already doing a great job. If we could get someone who is virtually guaranteed to do a better job than Cahill then I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, my point was that we shouldn't be actively looking to replace Cahill as he is one of our best players and finances are limited, so that means you replace the players that need replacing the most in the areas that will make the most difference. Cahill does such a good job for us that I personally don't think it would make a vast difference (positive impact I'm talking here) no matter who was brought in. The fact that Arshavin is being linked with Arsenal and Spurs means nothing at the moment, it's pure speculation.

As for Pienaar, I don't mean any disservice to the guy and it was no reflection of his talent, the problem is - in a 442 he doesn't get much of the ball because Carlsey and Cahill get overrun and they don't have the passing range (neither do the defence) to get the ball to Arteta and Pienaar in good positions. Thus Pienaar (and most likely Arteta) will be much less effective.

Lastly AJ, he's just not very good. He started off last season like a house on fire and he can still do a job - but you asked would I rather play Vaughan ahead of him and my answer is yes, he's similar to AJ but quicker, more aggressive, better in the air and a better finisher, so yes I'd rather play Vaughan. AJ is 9m sitting on the bench, his partnership with Yakubu has showed virtually no promise whatsoever and Yakubu has shown himself to be in a different league in terms of ability and genuine talent from AJ already. I hate having a dig at Everton players and I've stuck up for most of our players (Carsley, Neville, Lescott, Arteta etc etc) on numerous occasions, but AJ hasn't cut it so far.

I think we met in the middle with Cahill... near enough any way.

In terms of Pienaar and AJ... I think they're both one good central midfielder to go with Manny, in the mould of Appiah, away from being fine in a 4-4-2.

I think we met in the middle with Cahill... near enough any way.

In terms of Pienaar and AJ... I think they're both one good central midfielder to go with Manny, in the mould of Appiah, away from being fine in a 4-4-2.

I agree about Pienaar, we'll have to see about AJ - I'd still rather see Vaughan play up front with Yak than AJ. I'd love to see someone in the Berbatov mould coming in to replace AJ, give us that different option up front.

Arshavin maybe. ? :D

if we sold AJ then yes :D if he's any good, I've only seen him play a couple of times. I know I could take a look on youtube but that can make anyone look good!

I just wish we'd buy Appiah, just imagine our midfield with Appiah and Fernandes, Arteta and Pienaar, it would be an absolute beast - put that together with one of the best defences in the league and a serious goal threat up front and I think we could break that top 4 regularly...

Might have to wait until summer for a big Buy, but we could do with a left legger to replace Mcfad for this season, we havent got a lefty to play on Sunday now.

is Arshavin a lefty by the way? We definitely need someone to cover that left hand side, pity we can't get Downing on loan to take a look at him (I know there is physically no chance of that!). I assume Osman will be playing there when he's back, until Pienaar returns anyway. Wonder if Baines will be employed on the left wing on Sunday, give him a chance to ease himself back into the team in a less pressured area of the pitch where mistakes aren't as costly if he isn't quite match sharp...

JAMES McFADDEN today moved a step closer towards the Goodison Park exit door as Everton weighed up a move for the exciting Russian attacker Andrei Arshavin.

The Blues and Birmingham City have struck a £5.75m deal that would see the Scotland international move to St Andrews. But it is still some way from completion as McFadden has yet to agree personal terms.

Arshavin, so impressive at Goodison Park when the Blues faced Zenit in the UEFA Cup group stages last month, has made no secret of the fact that he would welcome a move to the Premier League and a number of clubs have expressed an interest in him.

I bloody hope this comes off.

JAMES McFADDEN today moved a step closer towards the Goodison Park exit door as Everton weighed up a move for the exciting Russian attacker Andrei Arshavin.

The Blues and Birmingham City have struck a £5.75m deal that would see the Scotland international move to St Andrews. But it is still some way from completion as McFadden has yet to agree personal terms.

Arshavin, so impressive at Goodison Park when the Blues faced Zenit in the UEFA Cup group stages last month, has made no secret of the fact that he would welcome a move to the Premier League and a number of clubs have expressed an interest in him.

I bloody hope this comes off.

Just about to quote the Echo myself, you beat me to it! This would be very exciting if we pulled this off, Moyes really is a genius. I'd have to wonder exactly what Moyes plans are though, we are still a CM short in the midfield so I still think 442 maybe unrealistic, but if we sign Arshavin we'd have Yak, AJ & Arshavin all vying for the same spot, with the VERY promising Vaughan as well. Seems at least one too many cook to me, especially with Anichebe in reserve. Unless Arshavin can also play like a demon on the wing then I would think that at the very least Anichebe will be farmed out on loan (although he gives us that physical presence and height off the bench) or AJ will be sold. Yakubu is our number 1, I suspect Moyes must know Vaughan is the better player/prospect than AJ and he wouldn't be signing Arshavin to play up front when we already have all these players unless he knows he's special. If Arshavin is as good as people are making out then I'd be absolutely ecstatic if we sold AJ, signed Arshavin and also used the left over money from McFadden etc to try and secure Fernandes in the Summer, then use our tv money to buy Appiah. Everton are on the up! :D

There is no point in arguing.

I'm right.

Get in Appiah and Arshavin in and we will be the nuts.

:)

some people will no doubt call me a fool (and relish it!) for saying this, but if we signed Arshavin (and he is as good as made out) and Appiah then I think we can look above breaking into the top 4, we could look at challenging for the title! Maybe I'm just getting carried away but I love it when we sign some dude foreigner who I know very little about for big money! Fingers crossed.

I don't see Arshavin as a forward. He can play there but he is really an attacking midfielder.

I've seen him on the wings too and he was excellent. I'm trying to think of a player to best describe him. Riquelme with grit possibly?

I see...

Howard

Neville Yobo Lescott Baines

Carsley

Arteta Fernandes Arshavin Pienaar

Yak

No room for Cahill I'm afraid in that line up.

some people will no doubt call me a fool (and relish it!) for saying this, but if we signed Arshavin (and he is as good as made out) and Appiah then I think we can look above breaking into the top 4, we could look at challenging for the title! Maybe I'm just getting carried away but I love it when we sign some dude foreigner who I know very little about for big money! Fingers crossed.

Even with that team we wouldnt be a contender for the title, The Quality he would have sould be awsome but its just no where near the Level of Quality Man Utd have. IMO they will win the league for the next few years as long as they get themselves a decent RB and start playing Foster in net.

Even with that team we wouldnt be a contender for the title, The Quality he would have sould be awsome but its just no where near the Level of Quality Man Utd have. IMO they will win the league for the next few years as long as they get themselves a decent RB and start playing Foster in net.

not saying we'd win it, but we could challenge for it! I don't think Utd are that amazing everywhere, apart from Ronaldo I don't think their midfield is THAT special and they need someone to go up front with Rooney and Tevez imo. In saying that, I think they'll walk the league this year.

I think if mcfadden goes for a cool 5.5million that money should definalty be going towards a new player. By selling players we are removing some of our cover in certain positions. Arshavin would be a good signing but Arsenal need to be out of the race because i don't think we have much chance of contending for his signature against them.

I think if Mcfadden is sold and no one else is bought its a big mistake. We need at least 1 more player!

Edited by Jay Bernard

Arshavin and Appiah!! I will be laughin me ed off we wud be class then surely not even a gobshite cud deny that. If we sign them two then Cahills not gunna be havin as many games imo. Dont forget Cahill is 28 so Arshavin and Appiah have more to offer because of there age not sayin Cahills still not quality tho.

Appiah has a knee injury (I think it's his knee) so he wouldn't pass a medal.

There's been no talk of this anyway has there? - apart from on here. He was linked in the summer but that was it, think this is just wishful thinking - this one fizzled out with the riquelme link.

Seems a lot of arguing over Arshavin, being a repalcement for Cahill or even Johnston - Have I missed something is the deal being talked about him being more a replacement for McFadden? Don't think anybody would argue with this potential swop in personnel.

Will Arshavin takes Tim's or AJ place in the team. Only time will tell, but if we do buy him and he does dislodge one of these players mentioned from the starting 11 then if its on merit and performance, I don't think anybody will argue on that.

He has been describbed as pacey, hard working, a playmaker, excellent passer with great technique, a goal scorer, can play on the wing as a forward, or as a attacking midfeilder. If is half that then he doesn't sound to bad player.

I for one would love to see him at the club as a replacement for McFadden, which is the case at the moment.

A replacement for Cahill or Aj, only time will tell, but bringing this 'potential' quality of player in would give Moyes a wonderful selection headache.

As much I love our current squad, there is always room for improvment - But how nice to be looking at replacing good and very good player with potentially great players. How times have changed - last time we battled for 4th place in the league, the main talk was whether to cash in £2.5M for Grav's or not. !!!! Times and expectations have indeed changed

Remember we are joint 4th at this very moment. A little more strength in depth could be just enough to get us past a slightly struttering Liverpool come May. That would be massive!!!!! Given the position we are in this could be a massive transfer window for us if we get the right two or three player in.

yes, a truly excellent post - although there is one small flaw, McFadden never had a place in our first team, only as back-up which is why he is being sold. I don't think Moyes would spend 9m on Arshavin to plan on having him on the bench from the outset, which leads me to believe he would potentially be replacing someone, the question would be who...

yes, a truly excellent post - although there is one small flaw, McFadden never had a place in our first team, only as back-up which is why he is being sold. I don't think Moyes would spend 9m on Arshavin to plan on having him on the bench from the outset, which leads me to believe he would potentially be replacing someone, the question would be who...

Even though Id still get him, If we sign Arshavin I couldnt see us getting Pienaar aswell, Pienaar & Manny would be the first 2 players id make permanent before buying players we dont desperately need.

Even though Id still get him, If we sign Arshavin I couldnt see us getting Pienaar aswell, Pienaar & Manny would be the first 2 players id make permanent before buying players we dont desperately need.

I agree, you must always sign the players who have been there and proved they can fit in the team and are settled.

them two have not let us down and deserve there perm deals. (especially pienaar)

plus if ferenandes shows what we know he is and thats quality. then we'll need all the money we can to sign him.