IGNORED

Tim Cahill

I heard a stat today that said the average amount of points we got this season with Cahill, if he were to have played every game we would have got 87, and the average without we would have got 44. I dont know how true this is, just thought it was interesting. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Sounds about right, he missed the start of the season up to the Liverpool game when we were hit and miss but then came back and we had the run of 43 points from the next nineteen games (plus nine cup game wins). He then missed the end of the season when we again struggled. Without going through the teamsheet for each one as we took 43 points from the middle 19 and 22 points from the rest...like I said, sounds right.

Still there were people saying he wasn't good enough.....and even today it's being suggested he needs to be "upgraded."

Edited by MikeO

Ive heard something along those lines but I just dont see it......... think really its to do with us being a better team when playing 4-5-1 than 4-4-2

yes but when you look at WHY we are so much better in a 451 than a 442 the main reason is Cahill, without Cahill we don't play all that well even in a 451. Cahill, whilst not a brilliant all round player (and may need to be benched if we go 442 and get some real quality CM's in) is absolutely superb in a 451 formation, he works hard, he tackles, he can pass a bit and he is such a goal threat - he is the most important player in our team when we play that formation and is virtually indispensable. This seasons results speak for themselves, how anyone can doubt his importance to our team is beyond me, he'll be the first name on Moyes teamsheet when fit.

I think Cahill is obviously a major part of the team when playing 4-5-1, i doubt anyone could argue otherwise.

But we carnt play 4-5-1 forever if we are to progress, not the way we do anyway.

Its just not offensive enough

I just carnt see Chaill playing in anything BUT a 4-5-1, he doesnt have the skills..

Agree though Moyes must find it hard to resist playing 4-5-1 sometimes, especially when we have taken to it so well.

Think you must take into consideration that when Cahill was missing we also had Arteta, Osman, and Pienaar missing at different stages, tho Cahill is a bloody good player it was'nt just down to him being missed, but an accumulation of injuries to other players in the same period, which in turn can point to the lack of cover in our squad, especially in the midfield area, i dont want to see Neville in our midfield again next season.

No matter which formation we play, if Tim Cahill is fit, then it's good for Everton!

Opponents spend a lot of time worrying about him, such is his threat.

Who knows with a new signing or two this summer he may even fit better into a 4-4-2.

Possibly a new combination of front runners, say Vaughan and Yakubu, or AJ and Vaughan added to an ever improving defence could mean Cahills role in a 4-4-2 is as effective as it is in a 4-5-1.

Isn't it next season where more subs will be allowed?.......if so our squad should be good enough to switch formations to suit opponents weaknesses.

They wont know where the threats are coming from!.....Cahill, Vaughan, Fernandes, Lescott, Yakubu, Osman, AJ, Arteta, Anichebe.............Hibbert :huh: sorry got carried away a bit there!

Cahill = Trouble for opponents, lets just hope for one long summer of healing for his foot.

Glad to see so many people get this. We have shown for a long time that we are best with a 4-5-1 and that yes, in that formation Cahill is the key. Also agree entirely that in a 4-4-2 Cahill doesn't give us enough and we get over-run.

However why can't we stick with 4-5-1? It can be attacking enough. Chelsea play 4-5-1..or they play 4-3-3 - depending on who has the ball. Many top club sides are no playing 4-2-3-1.

No question that he is huge for us.

Living down south, I get a lot of comments from people who say that Cahill has been the only player of ours that they would want for their team (Spurs, West Ham, etc). Increasingly, they are saying it about Lescott..and rightly so. Many non-Blues don't see it with Arteta (luckily for us!).

tim is fabulous player. I will be meeting him this sunday at ma football club in sydney. he also came to visit us we he got injured last year. his best friend lives in my area. www.arncliffeaurora.com u cAN SEE THE PICTURES HERE

tim is fabulous player. I will be meeting him this sunday at ma football club in sydney. he also came to visit us we he got injured last year. his best friend lives in my area. www.arncliffeaurora.com u cAN SEE THE PICTURES HERE

Ask him if he reads TT at all...