IGNORED

Alan Wiley: Referees Respect

Is it fair that Moyes gets dragged before the FA for being sent to the stand by a referee who bottled it today. Wiley was wrong on numerous decisions none more so than disallowing Richardo Fullers goal. He signals for a clear penalty then changes his mind and awards a f/k when he was obviously in error yet again. This same ref afford scant protection to the keepers, Tim Howard was buffeted all round the place today by burly Stoke players. <_<

This respect campaign is all well and good but the FA must ensure that referees not meeting a set standard are removed from the premier roster, Wiley should have been dropped years ago B)

Shocking from him today.

Fullers disallowed goal- WRONG

Penalty decision- WRONG

All the crap in the box- WRONG

Absolutely pants. Even Andy Gray and Martin Tyler were not too enamoured with his game today.

Hopefully he'll have one or two things to answer to at the FA aswell.

I thought he had a poor game but I don't for the life of me see how anyone could think he got the Fuller goal wrong - he clearly caught Yobo's legs and tripped him BEFORE he touched the ball, which means it's a foul. When you're running flat out it only takes a bit of a knock to trip someone up, Yobo is far quicker than Fuller and was always getting to the ball first. I thought the 2nd Stoke goal was a foul as well, he gave Jags a nudge and took him that extra step forward which meant he got underneath the ball to flick it into the net.

Agree with the Shout about Fuller tripping Yobo, but not so with Jags own goal. If you get to see it again you will see that Howard pushed the attacker who was standing infront of him and consequently he went into the back of Jags.

But our defence have got to pull themselves together, we've let in more goals in four games than we did in ten games last season, they dont look comfortable at all and panicked every time the ball came into the box.

Having watched it on MOTD the Fuller decision was right, would have been pissed off if it was the other way round certainly but it was still the correct decision.

How he can possibly have taken the linesman's view on the pen given their relative viewpoints is criminal though. Totally impossible for him to judge from the byline....Wiley needs dropping for that (and possibly the assistant also for voicing a worthless opinion).

Having watched it on MOTD the Fuller decision was right, would have been pissed off if it was the other way round certainly but it was still the correct decision.

How he can possibly have taken the linesman's view on the pen given their relative viewpoints is criminal though. Totally impossible for him to judge from the byline....Wiley needs dropping for that (and possibly the assistant also for voicing a worthless opinion).

Mike I watched it on Setanta, Sky, BBC and my opinion remains unchanged it should have stood, lets agree to disagree

should have defo been a goal i mean as its been said was 6 of one half a dozen of the other and meant to give advantage to the attacker which they never do! i agree wi jimmy if we had scored that and it had been disallowed i'd have gone mental! think it all evened out though cos of the penalty etc we just edged it i think fair play to stoke though! and them throw ins are deadly!

I agree the decision was wrong, but I think Moyes was wrong with his reaction. In his interview he basically said the ref's wrong decision was to blame for him getting sent to the stand, so he should have an apology, but that's not true - it was his own reaction and he has to take responsibility for that. The ref's decision was nothing about lack of respect, it was just a very poor mistake, whereas I think managers have got to set the example about not abusing referees - if Moyes hadn't reacted and been sent off he would easily be able to take the high ground now and demand an apology, but as it is he should also be apologising himself.

I also think Fullers goal should have stood, he didnt touch Joeys legs and Yobo just slipped under immense pressure. Glad it was dissalowed but the wrong decision for me

seriously guys, watching a replay of the Yobo incident it is 100% clear that Fuller caught Yobo's legs from behind, if it was the other way round Yobo would have been sent off for a professional foul. Yobo was ahead of Fuller and is quicker, why would he go down? It couldn't have been shoulder to shoulder outmuscling as Fuller was behind him. It WAS a foul, correct decision. The penalty was a disgrace, but the Yobo decision was correct and if the teams had've been reversed I would have said the same thing. He took Yobo's legs, fact.

I agree the decision was wrong, but I think Moyes was wrong with his reaction. In his interview he basically said the ref's wrong decision was to blame for him getting sent to the stand, so he should have an apology, but that's not true - it was his own reaction and he has to take responsibility for that. The ref's decision was nothing about lack of respect, it was just a very poor mistake, whereas I think managers have got to set the example about not abusing referees - if Moyes hadn't reacted and been sent off he would easily be able to take the high ground now and demand an apology, but as it is he should also be apologising himself.

Moyes said if he was wrong, he'd apologise to the ref and he said he'd hope that Mr Wiley would do the same if he thinks made a mistake. There's nothing wrong with that, I think Moyes has a touchline ban now which could see him in the away end (;)) for Hull City.

I agree with what he says about Wiley apologising - he should. I just don't agree with Moyes' argument that basically Wiley's mistake is responsible for him being sent to the stands. It wasn't. His own reaction was to blame. I just think the respect towards referees thing is a really good idea, and I don't agree with the idea that if a referee makes a mistake then it's a lack of respect or something. If a referee makes a mistake it should be for the FA to deal with - i.e. suspend the ref, drop him down a division etc. I don't think any managers (and I don't think Moyes is the worst) should be shouting at them and getting sent to the stands - they should be setting the example to the players and just getting on with it. When I was a kid we were always told to respect the referee and we never argued with them or anything. Now if you go and watch kids play football for their Sunday teams half of them are mouthing off to the referee all the time. I know where the learn that from - from the players and managers they idolise.

I agree with what he says about Wiley apologising - he should. I just don't agree with Moyes' argument that basically Wiley's mistake is responsible for him being sent to the stands. It wasn't. His own reaction was to blame. I just think the respect towards referees thing is a really good idea, and I don't agree with the idea that if a referee makes a mistake then it's a lack of respect or something. If a referee makes a mistake it should be for the FA to deal with - i.e. suspend the ref, drop him down a division etc. I don't think any managers (and I don't think Moyes is the worst) should be shouting at them and getting sent to the stands - they should be setting the example to the players and just getting on with it. When I was a kid we were always told to respect the referee and we never argued with them or anything. Now if you go and watch kids play football for their Sunday teams half of them are mouthing off to the referee all the time. I know where the learn that from - from the players and managers they idolise.

Actually I think you have a point. The FA want to stamp out disrespecting the referees, we all know Wiley got it totally wrong and I think Moyes reaction was the same one we were all having, but that being said - the law is the law and Moyes should be keeping his mouth shut like the players. The law isn't only respect the referees when you like their decision (as that happens anyway) but to respect them whatever decision is made as no amount of moaning is going to change their minds. I feel for Moyes and he's still a legend in my eyes, but maybe he should have kept his thoughts to himself yesterday, that being said, he's only human!

to hell with respecting a ref like wiley hes been makin mistakes for years and shouldnt be refereeing! moyes did lose his temper but quite rightly and as said he is only human! but the problem is moyes will get bollocked for this yet the ref wont get anything against him which is completely wrong! moyes got what he deserved but has apologised everyone goes off on one every now and then! wiley shouldnt be such a shithouse though!!

i think moyes has it right, if he is wrong he will apologise and the ref should do the same. the managers are contracted by the FA to have one of the coaching staff do an interview with all the press. if the refs had to do the same i think they could clear up a lot of issues fast

i think moyes has it right, if he is wrong he will apologise and the ref should do the same. the managers are contracted by the FA to have one of the coaching staff do an interview with all the press. if the refs had to do the same i think they could clear up a lot of issues fast

The likes of Wiley and Bennett just don't have the balls to admit when they are wrong........................I'm still awaiting an apology from that bent bastard Clattenberg who is now nearly bankrupt................run out of back handers after last years derby methinks.

Hacket should ensure that refs review disputed decisions and have them admit that they do get things wrong, it would solve a lot of problems

Giving refs the ability to look at replays on boundary calls (inside/outside penalty area, over/not over the goal line, etc.) when necessary and correct their mistakes right there on the field would solve a lot of problems. Wiley would've needed only five seconds to look at the replay yesterday and see exactly where that foul occurred. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, though.

Edited by JD in DC

He has to be charged really, if he has come out and said something which contravenes the rules then whether Wiley's decision was incorrect or not is not the point. Respecting the referees means keeping your mouth shut, not only keeping your mouth shut when you agree with the decision. I feel for Moyes, but at the end of the day managers and players are supposed to keep it zipped from now on and he didn't.

Try this one...

http://evertonfc.com/news/archive/moyes-charged.html

If the ref's in touch with the fourth official over his head-set, and the fourth official has access to immediate replay (which presumably he does) could he not just have had a whisper in Wiley's ear, a la Zidane getting sent off in the world cup final, problem solved. Wouldn't have delayed play as it was already delayed :) .

Surely it can't be long now before the FA admit that the refs in this country are simply not capable of running a professional football match in the premiership. Granted, the refs are only human, but with the game now having such high stakes, 1 goal at the end of the season could be the difference between qualifying for europe and a great many other financial windfalls such as league position.

Many have said that it is fortunate that we dind't drop the points, but I say, we could have won by a 2 goal margin which in the league makes a difference to our goal difference.

Apart from the fact that this penalt debaucle should never be in question anyway, and that Moyes is being scapegoated for ........??????? well I can't think why, is this the start of another campaign where we eventually get a penalty in the last game of the season. I don't think it is any secret that certain clubs seem to be given more grace by referees than others, and I certainly feel EFC get the shitty end of the stick. Had we had consistent refereeing last season, it is not inconceivable that we would have finished in the top 4.

This is a real problem now, and I don't think there is just one solution. I do think this should happen though:

- Video replay for 'touch-line' calls

- Referees made accountable for their decisions and actions as much as the managers and players

- Retrospective professional fouls punished when caught on video

- A professional code of conduct agreement made between referees and the premiership.

I just think that referees have had the prtection of non-professional status for so long, that people are forgetting that these are now well paid professionals, allegedly. The points scoring system simply doesn't work and there are referees out there who could be easily suspected of influencing results by their actions ( Clattenburg, Wiley all the usual suspects).

Can I ask, does any body else agree that if that incident had happened to Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool, would the ref even have bothered looking at the linesman and then enraging the manager resulting in a punishment for being right? I think not.

Rant over.....for now.