IGNORED

VDM - will he cut the mustard?

rowlo-efc

VDM - there has been a lot of hype about VDM lately - especially on this forum.

I am unsure as to whether or not he will cut the mustard in the premiership - he has been likened to Bergkamp and it has been mentioned that his style of play will suit the english game better than the Italian girlie stuff.

For me, it is impossible to rely on one player to 'pull us out of the shit' - especially when that player has only played once for the reserves and has not kicked a competitive football for months and months.

No doubt that he is a good player - he wouldn't have played for the Netherlands or be adored by many dutch fans if he wasn't. (see ebay - loads of signed Dutch shirts on offer - must be a big star in Holland)

I would love him to be the next Anders Limpar. Get himself wide but also get around the park alot. If you remember correctly - Limpar could play right or left and was a wicked player - supported all the time and attacked defences with style and pace - his crosses where always troublesome for the opposition!

Altough a good player I'm sure, I will not be counting my chickens yet!

What do we think? will he cut the mustard - will he make the grade?

Predictions before the boro game please (so that I can review tomorrow).

I have seen nothing of the boy and am also very aware he may not cut it. i dont quite know why but when his name is mentioned i seem to think "he's good" without knowing much about him! Has he been in the news alot? or is there another Dutch superstar with a similar name?

Anyway enough of me being soft.

My prediction for VDM is that things will go one of two ways tonight, assuming he plays. He is either shitting himself and regreting signing due to our general mediocre level of football this season which could quite easily result in him going "missing". Or (and this is what i like to believe) he has genuine quality and has been bitten by the blue bug, i can see him steping on the pitch with a burning desire to pull us out the shit and play with all the skill he has as well as the commitment required to please the Goodison faithful.

In short he will come good and for the first time since Limpar & Kanchelskis Everton may well have found a good winger. With the added bonus of Arteta playing a blinding role out wide we could finaly have what we have been looking for, service for the front men! Freeing up the center mid to poach on the edge of the box, shoot, shoot, shoot!

Thats all provided VDM can drag that wide arse of his up and down the wing, i aint seen a footballer with such a big rear since rhino :lol:

he'll score 3, set up 8 and get sent off for celebrating by doing a lap of the pitch with a flare up his arse.

definately won't suit the english game! :lol:

I don't know much about him at all so I can only hope that he adds something possitive to the team and like he keeps saying, can put good crosses in and score goals. he certainly seems confident of his ability!

i dont expect much from Andy to begin with. i think it will be another month or so before we see the real VDM. But when he is fit i do expect a lot from him. He isnt the best winger at tracking back infact he just doesnt do that, but everytime he gets the ball you will see him shoot from almost anywhere (believe me seen him play numerous times).

I dont think he will actually score many goals (hope im wrong) but he will create a lot of chances. One thing a lot of you will hate is that he tends to go down easy sometimes and it might be a bit frustrating.

VDM was hailed as one of the 'ones to watch' about 2-3 seasons ago when he played in the Dutch league, and burst on to the international scene.

A quick skillful player who can play right across the park, get past people, and get good crosses in to the box as well as having a good eye for goal. Went to inter as a youngish lad and had a few problems with injuries and adjusting to life in seria A, and just never got a decent run in the team when he was out there.

Read a few article on him this last few weeks, and apparently wasn't keen on the itailian training methods, i.e you did little full on training during the week, and basically kept up high level of fitness during games. Not good if you aren't getting the games in.

Has said that the way he has had to train at Everton is much more like what he was used to in Holland. Which he really enjoys.

It sounds as if the lad is a bit of a joker and really enjoys the crack, I don't think that sort of personality suits the italian league, partly due the lauguage and partly due to culture.

So there are a couple of reasons why the lad didn't really cut it or enjoy his time in Italy.

I think the pace, style and general culture of English football and England in general will suit him a lot better (more of a home from home).

Also, he is very keen to get back in to the Dutch national frame this season, with the world cup coming up, a big incentive (allthough proffessional footballs shouldn't really need incentives like this).

I think at very worst at £2-3M VDM will be a decent player for us, but he has the potential to be a great player as he was beginning to show at Ajax before his move to Italy.

But don't all expect to see it against Boro tonight, we will not see the real VDM for at least a month - 6 weeks.

Lets hope this Xmas all our kids will be clamering for Everton shirts with VDM on the back :lol:

i dont expect much from Andy to begin with. i think it will be another month or so before we see the real VDM. But when he is fit i do expect a lot from him. He isnt the best winger at tracking back infact he just doesnt do that, but everytime he gets the ball you will see him shoot from almost anywhere (believe me seen him play numerous times).

I dont think he will actually score many goals (hope im wrong) but he will create a lot of chances. One thing a lot of you will hate is that he tends to go down easy sometimes and it might be a bit frustrating.

well i've been saying we need a player to shoot from outside the box for once so that could be a very possitive move.

i was quite impressed, had a good touch, and good crosses. showed some of the skill and flaire we've been hoping for.

but the one thing he showed more than anythin, is there will soon be no place for kilbane on our left side of midfield.

in a 442 our full strength midfield could be quite tasty.

arteta--cahill--neville--VDM

Guest fozzie22
i was quite impressed, had a good touch, and good crosses. showed some of the skill and flaire we've been hoping for.

but the one thing he showed more than anythin, is there will soon be no place for kilbane on our left side of midfield.

in a 442 our full strength midfield could be quite tasty.

neville surely now has to go left back?

I too was impressed with the little preview we got of VDM.

It did appear that the rest of the team didn't realise he was there at first and he found himself hanging around on the left touchline waiting for the ball.

Once they twigged though, his touches were good ones and he showed he can take defenders on and beat them. Makes good space for himself and doesn't appear shy to get a shot off either!

Good quality balls into dangerous areas of the box were great to see.

BT needs to start working with him in training to pick up on were he's likely to put his crosses in to.

Looks a promising start and a much welcome addition.

i think he's right footed and prefers to play on the right but can equally play on the left.  this also means that he's more likely to pull inside and get a shot in.

He's obviously right footed - but so too was Anders Limpar and he was a great winger for us.

I was impressed with VDM in the last 30 mins last night. He looked a bit like 'kanchelskis' - cutting inside to get a shot off - what we desparately need.

His crosses where superb - had Cahill played we may have got something from the game...

WE seemed to be 'reaching' for the ball int he box - rather than attacking the ball.

the strikers were not very good last night.

http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/andy_van_d...news_55758.html

He is a really or originally a right winger (right footed), this old article is quite interesting with regard to him being used on the left wing.

I think it is going to be a few weeks before he starts to gel with the team, so plenty to look forward to.

I hope he is able to make his full début against a Birminham, side who are as low on confidence as we are.

One of our biggest weaknesses over a number of seasons, has been lack of quailty ball from either wing to be honest, and with Arteta and VDM.

In Beattie, big dun and Cahill, we have got the players who should be able to make the most of quality crosses in the long run.

http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/andy_van_d...news_55758.html

He is a really or originally a right winger (right footed), this old article is quite interesting with regard to him being used on the left wing.

I think it is going to be a few weeks before he starts to gel with the team, so plenty to look forward to.

I hope he is able to make his full début against a Birminham, side who are as low on confidence as we are.

One of our biggest weaknesses over a number of seasons, has been lack of quailty ball from either wing to be honest, and with Arteta and VDM.

In Beattie, big dun and Cahill, we have got the players who should be able to make the most of quality crosses in the long run.

Lets hope and pray that that is the case!

Cahill would have done well last night - given the number of crosses we put in the box.

Guest fozzie22
We need his drive and direct play he will have a go at beating players, only Faddy seems to do that at the moment, he might give us an end product though. :)

wilf in fairness faddy hasnt done it so far cant see it changing to be honest..time to offload him.

he's played well the last few games he's played. as in better.

but he still doesn't cut it, I long since decided he wasnt' up to it. and despite some solid performances and man of the matches for us in a few games this season he really hasn't proved himself.

I'd love to have seen him do well but unfortunately he just isn't up to it. I think he was worth the risk as a buy, a promising young lad at not too big a price but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to cut it in the premiership.

we bought him for 1.5 rising to 1.8 million. so if we well him to hearts for 2.5 mill then we have a profit

Bollox to Mcfadden - He's alright - just hasn't the confidence - I think that we should keep him and make him fight for his place. He may turn out good - think that Moyesy should put a few pounds on him though - he's too light in the tackle etc.

VDM - if he continues the way he has started - then I could get to like him. His crossing is great, his vision is good (i.e. he cut it back inside to davies against the brum) and he takes defenders on - and WINS!

good stuff - just hope that he can keep it going with out injury...

Happy days! :lol:

VDM - if he continues the way he has started - then I could get to like him. His crossing is great, his vision is good (i.e. he cut it back inside to davies against the brum) and he takes defenders on - and WINS!

Yes, did you see the run he made for Davies' goal, he had four defenders running with him and cut in to make the pass.

We all know we lack attacking pace in the team

From first impressions he looks the real deal (hope he stays clear of injuries)

Impressed with VDM and the best thing is don't think he is 100% fit. So hopefully can only get better.

No - he's defo not 100% fit - he hasn't got 90 minutes in him yet (not competitively anyway!)

Good thing is that the Brum game was only his first start for us and his 2nd appearance (100mins of footie in all) - he can only improve on what we are already discribing as 'class'.

Lets hope that he proves vital in our turn around!!

Him and Arteta - suddenly Everton is looking to go forward and not sitback and defend.

Their runs are forcing hibbert and the LB (whoever that may be) to come forward and support - meaning that the midfield (cahill and Davies) are also pushing forward and for the first time this season we are taking the game to the opposition rather than waiting for it to come to us.

the potential is getting there, we have got some strength coming through.

if we can get a steady defence coming along

hibbo--yobo--kroldrup--valente/ferrari

then that can only help give the midfield the confidence to attack. for me a line up of

could really take the game to most teams.

neville to just hold back a little letting the wingers get up there, we all know where cahill will be, hanging round the back post.

for me the only question is who is the best choice to play up front with BT?

only time will tell!