IGNORED

Moyes: I'd welcome Celtic and Rangers to Premier League

Louis

http://news.bbc.co.u...rem/8347341.stm

Everton manager David Moyes has backed proposals for a two-tier Premier League involving Celtic and Rangers.

The idea, suggested by Bolton chairman Phil Gartside, will be discussed by Premier League clubs next week.

"I'd like to see it because I'm a Scotsman and I think it would be great to see Celtic and Rangers initially in a Premier League Two," said Moyes.

"TV would be interested, media would be interested and the crowds at every ground in the country would increase."

Moyes added: "Both Celtic and Rangers have as big a support as any team in England. From that point of view it would help the game in England if we need a boost in revenue."

Gartside's plan, initially proposed last year, involves the Premier League being expanded into two divisions of 18 teams.

The inclusion of Glasgow giants Celtic and Rangers could lead to an increase in television revenue that would be spread across a greater number of teams.

Gartside, one of the longest-serving chairmen in the top flight, said when he first floated the idea that he felt it would make the Premier League more competitive.

The proposals have struggled to gain support, with the top clubs keen to protect the status quo. Any change to the Premier League rules would require 14 clubs to vote in favour.

"I would rather this than an Atlantic league, or some other European league," said Moyes, a former Celtic player. "We have Welsh teams playing in English football so why not Scottish?

"The Scottish teams are really, really big clubs and I feel it would be good for everyone.

"I am sure it would work, even if it would open a can of worms over other nations, say Belgian and Holland, for example, joining forces."

I don't like the idea at all.

This piece from Mickey Blue Eyes on Kipper sums it far more eloquently than me.......

http://www.bluekipper.com/mbe/no_no_09.htm

Hmmm.. hadn't thought of it that way.. the article makes some very valid points... think Moysie might have to think this one through again, last thing we want is to import that type of sectarian behaviour into our game.

Every team in the Premiership has earned the right to be there. Let the Scottish guys sign up for the football league and work their way up if they can. Cardiff Swansea, Wrexham have to do it that way. Just being big fish in a small pond does not automatically give the right to jump straight in at the top in a 'big' league.

It's not surprising he wants them here, he could then manage his dream side in a proper league.

quite a scary prospect, Davey leaving. do you think he would blink?

what a crowd of pricks they arnt even considering the rest of the scittish lge they will have to go part time or even fold.

i dont see how, there would be 2 places for Europe freed up in in the SPL for the next 2 best teams, giving those clubs a massive potential finacial boost. I would also assume that if Celtic and Rangers play in the EPL, then they wouldnt be in Scottish Cups, which would allow the prize money from this competetion up for grabs. It could be good for Scottish football to remove the 2 giants from league, the competition would be fairer and the money that is pretty much earmarked for Celtic and Rangers is available for everyone else. from this view, and assuming im not talking out my arse (no guarentee here boys and girls, my knowledge of finaces is beyond appalling and im not an avid follower of the SPL...) i see it as a good thing for Scottish Football.

However, i do agree with Celtic and Ranger earning the right to play in the EPL. But if they were forced to start in League 2, wouldnt it just be the same as the SPL at the moment; big fish in a little pond? If theyre going to join, they should go into the Championship and no lower, but certainly not straight into the EPL. The statements above saying they should earn their place are spot on, but there needs to be realism in the decesion process.

Im really on the fence with this, but leaning to the "for it" camp, if im goin to be pushed...

"It could be good for Scottish football to remove the 2 giants from the league, the competition would be fairer and the money that is pretty much earmarked for Celtic and Rangers is available for everyone else".

Not so good.

Playing Rangers and Celtic 6 or 8? times in a season is how these teams get the finances to keep their head above water, take them out of the league and other teams will definately go under.

Rangers and Celtic are in financial trouble themselves, thats why they want to come here, but our own teams in the championship down to the conference are the ones we should be looking after.

So its a no from me, the Scottish FA will have to sort themselves out, and dont come down here looking for handouts. ;)

It would be detrimental to the Scottish League; who the hell would want to pay to sponsor that league etc when the two big teams are gone?

"It could be good for Scottish football to remove the 2 giants from the league, the competition would be fairer and the money that is pretty much earmarked for Celtic and Rangers is available for everyone else".

Not so good, playing Rangers and Celtic 6 or 8? times in a season is how these teams get the finances to keep their head above water, take them out of the league and other teams will definately go under.

Rangers and Celtic are in financial trouble themselves, that why they want to come here, our own teams in the championship down to the conference are the ones we should be looking after.

So its a no from me, the Scottish FA will have to sort themselves out, and dont come down here looking for handouts. ;)

all fair points. this would only be possible if the same investment could be made into the SPL once they had left, so there would have to be agreement from the SPL and TV sponsors to back the other clubs before they moved.

I imagine Rangers and Celtic have got themselves in the shit the same way as many other average teams who think theyre the best have done; over spent and underachieved.

As for the lower leagues, if we introduced Celtic and Rangers in the bottom rung, would that not give the lower teams additional income?

im rushin my response because im hungry and im being called for the lunch run but will get back soon!

I thinks its a stupid idea for many of the reasons already stated. Although I think the introduction of a two-tier PL is just as stupid, if not more so. What exactly is wrong with the way we have it now except the distribution of funds? Whether its 2 leagues or 1 the rich will get richer and those struggling will invariably keep struggling.

quite a scary prospect, Davey leaving. do you think he would blink?

However, i do agree with Celtic and Ranger earning the right to play in the EPL. But if they were forced to start in League 2, wouldnt it just be the same as the SPL at the moment; big fish in a little pond? If theyre going to join, they should go into the Championship and no lower, but certainly not straight into the EPL. The statements above saying they should earn their place are spot on, but there needs to be realism in the decesion process.

Im really on the fence with this, but leaning to the "for it" camp, if im goin to be pushed...

should never ever happen. why should they start in the championship or the prem? saying oh well they should go straight i nthere but they're too good to go lower...that's not how football works...leeds are top of their league and arguably too good, why not just save them the hassle and move them up...and pompey aren't doing so well so we'll put them down...its unfair on every single team in the football league whos trying year after year to move upwards! simple as that. if rangers and celtic were put in league 2, their team as it is would be too good for sure, but i think a lot of their players would leave and with that in mind i think they'd find it tough to get into the prem, most of their players are championship standard as it is.

if rangers and celtic were put in league 2, their team as it is would be too good for sure, but i think a lot of their players would leave and with that in mind i think they'd find it tough to get into the prem, most of their players are championship standard as it is.

I it was Walter Smith who said the other weeek that the best Scottish players/youngsters were leaving to go to League 1/Championship which highlights the quality of the Scottish league. They may be able to raise it for a game or two against English opposition and fair not too badly but doing it week in week out is a different story, especially with cup comps and injuries etc. Just look at Celtic the other day drawing with Falkirk 3-3 of which Falkirk played their reserve team coach (I think) as well as several youngsters yet Celtic with a more or less full strength team could only draw. That simply would not happen with any of the big boys in the PL.