IGNORED

Tony Nicklinson..Right to Die?

marcopaulo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19249680

not seen it mentioned..interested in people's thoughts on it..if the mods deem it too grim of a subject then i'm happy for it to be taken down..

personally i've always been of the opinion that you should be able to choose if you want to die..i mean i'd certainly want to if i ever got to the point where i was paralysed, unable to talk and suffering every day

I saw it on a new channel about an hour ago. For any problems I may be having, news like this does bring things into perspective. Not easy subject matter to discuss, but you can appreciate Mr Nickinson's intentions or wishes in his current predicament. God forbid, if anyone sees that they simply have no will to live longer, it should be their decision and not results or actions dictated by others.

Im terrified of death, the idea of not knowing what happens (if anything) freaks me out. Despite that, I think Id be praying for death in his place and that he absolutely has the right to choose.

One thing that confuses me, how can he be prosecuted if he kills himself? Do they put the corpse on the stand (not trying to be tasteless, just really confused)???

A man paralysed from the neck down has lost his High Court case to allow doctors to end his life without fear of prosecution.

I agree, you should have the right to die in those sorts of circumstances. .

Without a doubt.

We treat animals better than people in this respect....I've never understood why it's OK to end the suffering of a dog while humans are forced to endure; a religion based anachronism imo.

My dad wasted away for nine years (though he was completely terrified of dying so would never have taken the option) and I'd like to think I'd never put myself or my family through something like that.....though I suppose you never know until you're in the position.

Without a doubt.

We treat animals better than people in this respect....I've never understood why it's OK to end the suffering of a dog while humans are forced to endure; a religion based anachronism imo.

This is exactly what I've always thought and I've brought it up whenever this sort of thing has come up in conversation.

I'm inclined to feel for the guy, and his situation.

As able bodied folk, we all have the right to die, providing we have the courage to meet our end by our own means but I feel in the situation involving guys who are prisoners inside a body that does not work are not free to make that decision.

When you suffer lows, you are vulnerable, but often that low can lift, even if only for a period. With physically incapable people, often accompanied by painful illnesses that will only get worse, there is no lifting of the low, and instead they are unable to escape without help.

If people believe in life after death, (I don't) then surely releasing them from their misery, and allowing them to be reborn healthy is an option.

In times when society in many cultures will take the life of a sinner, is it so different to do the same, but for more compassionate grounds? The awful thing is that anybody who helped them would be convicted in many cultures as being a murderer, yet shoot somebody in an act of war, or end their days by lawful execution, and it's ok.

I wonder if they would refuse Liverpool fans? I can't imagine greater suffering.

If people believe in life after death, (I don't) then surely releasing them from their misery, and allowing them to be reborn healthy is an option.

This is the ridiculous thing....the very same people that tell you you're going to live in paradise for eternity tell you that your mortal life is sacred and God given so you have to hang around in as much agony as He wishes to inflict on you before you get the big prize!

Madness.

I'm inclined to feel for the guy, and his situation.

As able bodied folk, we all have the right to die, providing we have the courage to meet our end by our own means but I feel in the situation involving guys who are prisoners inside a body that does not work are not free to make that decision.

When you suffer lows, you are vulnerable, but often that low can lift, even if only for a period. With physically incapable people, often accompanied by painful illnesses that will only get worse, there is no lifting of the low, and instead they are unable to escape without help.

In times when society in many cultures will take the life of a sinner, is it so different to do the same, but for more compassionate grounds? The awful thing is that anybody who helped them would be convicted in many cultures as being a murderer, yet shoot somebody in an act of war, or end their days by lawful execution, and it's ok.

I wonder if they would refuse Liverpool fans? I can't imagine greater suffering.

have i misread that or is that completely contradictory? you're sayin they are gonna be miserable and in pain all the time so releasing them into another life(i don't believe it either) is a good option yet they aren't allowed to make the choice because they aren't fully able bodied any more?

have i misread that or is that completely contradictory? you're sayin they are gonna be miserable and in pain all the time so releasing them into another life(i don't believe it either) is a good option yet they aren't allowed to make the choice because they aren't fully able bodied any more?

Not quite.

An able bodied / minded person has the ability and opportunity to take action regarding suicide, be their efforts successful or not, but those trapped in bodies and minds that are not functioning properly are unable to take matters into their own hands, and therefore don't have the means to carry out their own wishes.

One man can walk to a cliff edge and make a decision on his future, while another would need to be assisted, therefore not having the same freedom to choose and take independant action. The underlying factor is not that the man can't choose to end life, but that he can't act upon that choice without assistance, and therefore does not have equal opportunity as a result.

A free bird can fly away, but one trapped in a cage is going nowhere unless the door is opened by another.

^^^ Excellent explanation ^^^

Something like this is always going to be highly controversial tho people have helped previously in similar situations and avoided prosecution, so its not a foregone conclusion that anybody will face being sentenced to life imprisonment or anything.

Personally i have lived long and reasonable healthy, so if i went tomorrow i would consider that i have had a fairly good life.

If things go on a downward spiral and i end up not being able to wash, shave, or wipe my own arse, i would hope my nearest and dearest would help me to get out, and we have spoken of such an outcome.

The loved ones you leave behind should be able to live a life of their own and should not be expected to Weed and Feed you, wash and clothe you, and put you on and off the toilet 24 hours a day.

Edited by Bill

He died of pneumonia after refusing to eat food at all for the past week. I think it's mad in this day and age that people arn't allowed to die, I don't believe that it should be made legal for everyone because suicides would go through the roof for the simplest thing (divorces, debts etc...) but I believe that if it is medically obvious that you're having a horrendous life then steps should be able to be taken to ensure that the person can die should they want it. In the Animal World we can do it so we should be able to with humans.

Thoughts are with the family.

Those people can commit suicide regardless of the law, so the numbers in that regard wouldn't change at all.

True, I was just trying to explain that maybe if it was made legal for anyone to die then as soon as people got some illnesses they would use that as a way out. I think if it is legalised then it should be for people suffering such as Nicklinson.

Never knew Gary Parkinson (ex-Everton) has the same condition.