IGNORED

Will the game exist in 50 years?

Apologies if this sounds like a blueroom thread and emotional out-pour, Im blaming it on the wine, but today just added to the Buckaroo that is my love for the game and my parallel growing distain for it....

For me football is all about technical abilty, good defending, exciting attacking and a physical contest. A mix of everything and the only evolutions acceptable to me are physical attributes, mental development, technical ability and fair fucking play.

Over the last decade, most probably more, its become less of a sport and more of a Hollywood show. More conning, more cheating, more "winning fouls" - extenuated by the true geniuses of the game who would rather get notoriety from their actions or unfair advantages by deception / assault (in the case of tonight for example) than their actual abilty - "desire to win" is a bullshit excuse.

I cant give up on my love for Everton, I dont have a choice. But the sport is supposed to be something to look up to and honestly at the moment, Im not sure I would bring up a child following football - its just a bad example of ethics!

Something has to be done. Why cant we have the same level of respect as rugby or the NFL or hockey, where the rules of the game are enforced and respected!

Ive got a multitude of ideas of how to improve, but how?

Anyways, anyone else this frustrated?

I know your pain, while I may be only 21, I grew up watching many players (mostly Brazilians) where flair and style was the goal of the game. Sure scoring goals was important for Ronaldo (#9), Ronaldinho, Kaka, Rivaldo etc but mesmerizing the fans and playing the game in a gentleman's manner was always just part of it. I do think diving and things like that have been part of the game for years now but I truly hope it gets eliminated somehow.

A player is "injured" and has to be carried away to the sideline only for him to return a minute later, no, force him to stay on the sideline for 5 minutes and let his team play with 10 men. A player blatantly dives for a penalty, have some kind of review system were if it is shown he dived, book him/send him off or if it is only caught after the game, suspend him for a game.

The things that Song and Suarez have done thus far is inexcusable and I'm sick of FIFA/leagues not being strict about punishments. How can you bite someone and only get suspended for 10 games? Sorry, mini rant is over and I'll try to be civil now :)

I think what Sepp Platter said about injuries/diving is true. If a player dives or is on the ground faking an injury then they should get a time penalty of when they are allowed back on the pitch. It would be a bit like ice hockey but it would soon stop the players cheating. Something needs to be done as nowadays it seems to be acceptable for players to be rolling around on the floor. Kids who watch football on tele will see this and when they play think it is also OK to roll around/diving for penalties.

I think what Sepp Platter said about injuries/diving is true. If a player dives or is on the ground faking an injury then they should get a time penalty of when they are allowed back on the pitch. It would be a bit like ice hockey but it would soon stop the players cheating. Something needs to be done as nowadays it seems to be acceptable for players to be rolling around on the floor. Kids who watch football on tele will see this and when they play think it is also OK to roll around/diving for penalties.

The one critique that I have heard when I have pitched a similar idea is that people that are truly hurt but not really injured will want to carry on to not penalize their team. This might put them in danger of actually getting injured. I understand this but this is a risk we have to be willing to take. Players know this is their career, do you really want to put it on the line for one game?

Some players who dive and feign injury, actually scream like big girls blouses. Honesty and integrity have almost disappeared from the game. I played when tackling was allowed 'below the waist'. Some tackles made your eyes water but you got up and got on with it. The diving started in Germany in the late 1970's but the Italians and Spanish (particularly) have taken it to a new level. I already watch my local Rugby team on a Saturday and only watch football on TV, but if it deteriorates much more, I will stop watching it altogether.

I think it will but all games will be played on Mars as the Martians will rule the Universe, by then, and they will have the monopoly on players and will twat everyone. There will also be an Inter-Galactic Cup, played on Mercury, where the main objective will be not to set your arse on fire, for which the World Cup in Qatar in 2022 is a trial run. You heard it here first.

I think they should have retroactive penalties, using replays. If a player fakes an injury by emitting childish histrionics while holding a body part that replays show wasn't touched, then the fucker should be banned or fined. Get a jury to decide. Of course the Uruguayans will claim human rights abuses...

And the game will be around in 50 years, and perhaps if India gets its act together and their tiny football association can get 0.00003% the budget that they give to cricket, then maybe we'll see a rising tiger. There's only a billion of them after all. India used to be good and qualified for the 1950 world cup but they decided not to attend when they learned they had to wear shoes in the tournament. (I think I read that in The Economist).