IGNORED

2-month stay in Liverpool

verreauxi

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I will be spending two months in Liverpool this fall (or possibly spring). We'll be working at the University of Liverpool, so we'll want to stay near there, though proximity to the university isn't too much of a factor so long as we are not in the middle of nowhere.

Through the university they have a furnished 1-bedroom apartments w/kitchen, private bath, lounge area that are 200 pounds a week and include all utilities, free wireless, and a cleaning service.

Is this about an average price for an apartment near the university for two adults? Or is this a bit high or low...should I keep looking?

I realize what I'm asking is a bit vague but are there any websites that I should be checking for medium-length stays in liverpool (e.g. furnished apartments)? If I rent from a private owner (i.e., not through the university) are there any hidden fees or other things to keep in mind? (for example, when I rented in Boston long ago, the ad said 1100 per month, but they failed to mention an initial one-time "finders fee" of 1100$ until I set up a viewing). I'm assuming, as in the USA, electricity/heating are generally seperate from the weekly/monthly rent, yes?

The university apartments seem like an easy option but if anyone has suggestions regarding other websites/rental agencies to check out, please let me know. It'd be great to meet some of you folks when we are there.

thanks in advance,

rich "verreauxi"

Never come across a rental of this kind personally, though I'm sure they must exist I wouldn't know where to start looking. It's too long for a holiday let and too short for a residential let, which as far as I know start at six months. If you were looking at a six month rental you could certainly come in cheaper than £200pw; maybe £5/600 per month with (as you say) utilities on top but probably if you could get two months somewhere you'd be looking at paying a premium rate I'd have thought.

There are extra charges on residential properties for sure plus you normally need to pay a refundable deposit, normally equivalent to a month's rent.

This is semi educated guesswork of course and somebody else may well have better information and more local knowledge; but if it was me I'd probably go with the university provided option. It's certainly not hugely overpriced.

Hope you enjoy your stay, see you at Goodison :P.

For two months its surely no hardship having a room to themselves. If they want a bit of an upgrade it may be better to find a decent B&B and do a deal for a week by week stay.

Would just mean that they have to eat out for the evening meal, but it would save on heating, lighting, gas and electric etc, No huge deposits needed so it could possibly work out cheaper in the end.

Should be able to put up with it for a couple of months.

Edited by Bill

£200 p/w including utilities (council tax, gas, electricity, water and service charge (if it's a flat/apartment)) is very reasonable and you won't find better for the period of time you need it for. Keep it simple. Take the option available. There isn't always something better (cheaper).

£200 p/w including utilities (council tax, gas, electricity, water and service charge (if it's a flat/apartment)) is very reasonable and you won't find better for the period of time you need it for. Keep it simple. Take the option available. There isn't always something better (cheaper).

That's where we are leaning toward. Thanks for the affirmation.

What's the purpose of the visit Rich (if you don't mind me asking, if you do tell me to fuck off and mind my own business :D)?

Well, to be perfectly honest, it's to see Everton play, since both me and GF are big fans. We both got very lucky at our home university and applied for sabbatical leaves of absence and we both got them, so we have the whole year "off" (which basically means we have to do research/publish but no teaching). So we have some flexibility about how to spend the year and so long as we are doing some sort of research, our university doesn't care where we are. And given that there is a great university in Liverpool (and Everton!!) we decided to try to work with some folks at the University of Liverpool. My girlfriend studies a few things having to do with running/walking: biomechanics of sports injury, sports shoe design, evolution of barefoot running, and the locomotion (movement) of lemurs. There are some labs in Liverpool that she wants to work with. For me, there is a lab that studies the biology of lifespan and aging, and the genetic/physiological basis of getting old. I'm gonna get in touch with these guys since the species of lemur that I study in Madagascar are very odd; they are house-cat sized animals but they live to about 35 years of age (if you scaled this up to human size, it would be like humans living to about 130), so we are interested in seeing what genetic/physiological factors allow them to live so long. I also am working on a textbook, so I'll probably be spending lots of time in the library during the week and we'll be traveling to games on the weekends.

Well, to be perfectly honest, it's to see Everton play, since both me and GF are big fans. We both got very lucky at our home university and applied for sabbatical leaves of absence and we both got them, so we have the whole year "off" (which basically means we have to do research/publish but no teaching). So we have some flexibility about how to spend the year and so long as we are doing some sort of research, our university doesn't care where we are. And given that there is a great university in Liverpool (and Everton!!) we decided to try to work with some folks at the University of Liverpool. My girlfriend studies a few things having to do with running/walking: biomechanics of sports injury, sports shoe design, evolution of barefoot running, and the locomotion (movement) of lemurs. There are some labs in Liverpool that she wants to work with. For me, there is a lab that studies the biology of lifespan and aging, and the genetic/physiological basis of getting old. I'm gonna get in touch with these guys since the species of lemur that I study in Madagascar are very odd; they are house-cat sized animals but they live to about 35 years of age (if you scaled this up to human size, it would be like humans living to about 130), so we are interested in seeing what genetic/physiological factors allow them to live so long. I also am working on a textbook, so I'll probably be spending lots of time in the library during the week and we'll be traveling to games on the weekends.

Interesting stuff, hope you have a great time, and if you can find a way to stop me aging so much the better :).