IGNORED

Do you let religious or political views interfere with your passions?

Guest Nikica

You may notice that I'm posting on here while Rangers are playing. I've stated on here in the past that I 'love' Rangers. In all honesty, I was lying. I do care for the club, but there's too much about it that's anathema to my general life values.

All the bigotry, for a start. I haven't been to Ibrox for years, mainly because I refuse to sing about hating 'fenian bastards'. The whole concept of it repulses me. Then there's all the far-right shite which Rangers fans seem to stand for - for a left-wing egalitarian like me, it's too much.

Hearing my bigoted as fuck cousins go on about 'taigs' and the UVF, join facebook groups about the EDL, and wank themselves silly over the royals, is only making things even worse and turning me off the club even more. Bear in mind that one of these cousins I was extremely close to growing up, how on earth am I supposed to reconcile that?

When I was a boy and even as late as 2004 or so, I loved the club, and went to games all the time. Obviously at that stage I was an impressionable child/young adult, and hadn't really formed my political views yet. After I realised that some of the stuff the club has stood for was terrible, I was in a very difficult position - the love for the club was there due to childhood, but my political and religious views were making me conflicted. In 2005 or so I made the decision not to follow the club 100% and not go back to Ibrox. The other aspect to this was the fucking capitalist game football has become, and the way clubs rip off the fans, but that's not exclusive to Rangers. In terms of this I don't have Sky any more either. Even when we won titles, I didn't celebrate. I was happy, but I didn't party.

So my question is, if Everton as a club or many of the fans possessed political views or beliefs which were abhorrent to you, would it affect how much you love the club? Obviously I still care about Rangers but I certainly don't love the club any more, and I will never go back to Ibrox.

I'm sure if my family and Rangers fans from this area saw this post they'd call me a traitor and a cunt. I don't give a fuck - I'd rather be those things than be a bigot.

Edited by Nikica

For me, football is a game I enjoy. I support a football team because their approach and history align with my thinking. There's simply no way I would turn a blind eye to unacceptable behaviour. I don't do it in life, I don't do it at work, and I don't do it at play. It can take a lifetime to build a reputation for integrity, and it can take two minutes to lose it. If Everton were to practice and condone what I believe to be totally unacceptable behavior, I would follow another team. It's as simple as that.

For me, football is a game I enjoy. I support a football team because their approach and history align with my thinking. There's simply no way I would turn a blind eye to unacceptable behaviour. I don't do it in life, I don't do it at work, and I don't do it at play. It can take a lifetime to build a reputation for integrity, and it can take two minutes to lose it. If Everton were to practice and condone what I believe to be totally unacceptable behavior, I would follow another team. It's as simple as that.

Good post mate.

So do you think I've did the right thing then? I'm enjoying following football as a neutral anyway, and have done for years. Obviously I still watch Rangers but not with the same affection.

Good post mate.

So do you think I've did the right thing then? I'm enjoying following football as a neutral anyway, and have done for years. Obviously I still watch Rangers but not with the same affection.

From what you've explained, it certainly seems a laudable attitude. With Rangers having such an aggressive Protestant history, are things just as extreme on the Catholic side of Glasgow?

Maybe the bigger questions is what can the 'reasonable majority' do to curb the negative influences of the 'unreasonable minority'? What can be done, if anything, to curb the excesses so fans can simply enjoy watching a game without having to worry about someone's political opinions? I'm a big one for trying to do something, but it does get me into trouble sometimes. There are occasions when discretion is the better part of valour.

Growing up, I remember the terrible problems that neighbouring Plymouth had with its fans. Darts would be thrown at random and end up in someone's head; local stores and houses and vehicles would be destroyed and/or spray painted; and, quite frankly, many would dread Saturdays because of the violence. Stadium seating has helped. Do some clubs ban the sale of alcohol? Whatever, things are better today.

I don't think this applies to Everton; I'd have been very uncomfortable with the historic "We are white" chants but fortunately never witnessed them; and being from down south I never even knew they existed to be honest.

I certainly wouldn't/couldn't put up with the stuff you describe at Rangers Nikica so I congratulate you for walking away; human race are complete twats at times.

I'd support Everton whatever happened within the club to be honest. I've watched and loved them for too many years to walk away, just because people from above have views doesn't mean that I share them. I love Everton Football Club which is a football club and nothing more.

I have distanced myself from the Y word debate as I don't really understand the complex issues that it raises, I have never called myself a Yid and never will, because A, I am not Jewish and B, have nothing against Jews or Jewish/Yiddish culture and fear that it could be offensive. I have witnessed the idiotic hissing and anti - Semitic chanting against Tottenham fans from mainly Chelsea and West Ham fans, and can see why Spurs fans countered this by calling themselves Yids. It seems to me to be so unnecessary and surely we all support our clubs for different reasons and its all about the entertainment on the pitch, hoping that the Teams we are attached to win some silver ware, not as a platform to vent some political frustration or pursue a racist agenda, I am aware its all too easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment when several thousand individuals around you are chanting some diatribe towards opposition fans (the Wisdom of crowds), there is a fine line between banter and what is unacceptable, Spurs fans claim to be anti racist but a different story when Sol Campbell played at white hart lane for the Vermin

I couldn't care less about Tottenham. Arsenal are your biggest rivals, but then you got the snides from West Ham sticking their bugle in, declaring their distate, because they don't get to play Millwall anymore - their actual biggest rivals.

I don't give two shits about politics in soccer. You got Glasgow Rangers and Celtic at each others throats all the time, and it's usually - if not always - down to sectarian politics, rather than the good of the game. I'm no lover of Glasgow Rangers, will always favor Celtic (although an actual follower of Aberdeen for some 30 years now) but isn't this just going over old territory. I do feel genuine sympathy for those are who are involved in personal beliefs or side with political reasons rather than just go along and watch some neighbors fight it out and 'may the best man win'

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm mislead, maybe I'm tired, but I stand by that viewpoint. But to the initial question, No I don't necessarily let politics cloud judgments in soccer. As a long standing supporter of Everton Football Club, I never found it necessary.

There may be an occasional shout of "for Christs sake, Everton" but that's about as close as it gets....

In some past derby encounters, there could have been 'a parting of the red sea'

And then you would have had David Moyes and 'his Ten commandments'

I.E.

'Thou shall not venture out of our own half with a one goal lead'

'Thou shall not try for a second goal in pivotal games and play ten men behind the ball'

'Thou shall not dare go with more than two forwards at any one time'

'Thou shall stand poker faced during post match interviews regardless of result'

'Thou shall employ 'bore the crowd to death' tactics during games'

'Thou shall not attempt by any means to dare win a trophy'

and so on.

Yeah maybe there is more to all this than meets the eye.

• 1 month later...

To revisit this and show you some examples of why I feel the way I do, watch this video. Look at these clowns; clearly have zero education and are only against independence because of their bigoted as fuck views. Independence is a serious debate but these clowns only care about the fact that Rangers are traditionally right-wing. Then there's the usual slating of immigrants at the end (nice going given the interviewer clearly is of ethnic background). There's plenty more examples of this type - it should give an indication as to why I am as conflicted as I am. This cunt in the England top is a complete cretin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmts8mr4PeI

"Every cunt in Ireland is living on the streets"

:rofl:

Humiliating.

Edited by Nikica

To revisit this and show you some examples of why I feel the way I do, watch this video. Look at these clowns; clearly have zero education and are only against independence because of their bigoted as fuck views. Independence is a serious debate but these clowns only care about the fact that Rangers are traditionally right-wing. Then there's the usual slating of immigrants at the end (nice going given the interviewer clearly is of ethnic background). There's plenty more examples of this type - it should give an indication as to why I am as conflicted as I am. This cunt in the England top is a complete cretin:

Humiliating.

I blame Moyes!

Humiliating.

I love the Rangers supporters living in Ulster! Sure they can be a bit red-neck at times but having lived over there for two years I loved the banter with them on the ferry from Belfast to Stran. Follow follow......................

Humiliating.

I seriously cant understand most of that...

I blame Moyes!

I don't blame Moyes for everything at Everton - my stance is that he did a good job, but it was overstated and in the end he was holding you back and a part of the problem.

sorry i wasn't clear..i pity you cos you're stuck with gobshites like that up there

No problem.

To be fair, not everyone is like those clowns. And people in general tend to be very easily-led - be it about football, politics, current events etc. It's something I'm grappling with about humanity. The West of Scotland does have a very big problem with bigotry, though - and it has very real ramifications as it affects voting patterns and hence shapes society and government.

Going to bed now. Night.