IGNORED

Stewart Downing

Everton have today been linked with Stuart Downing, who considering his ability should be at a better and bigger club than Boro. Featured for England regularly under Mclaren. Boro need funds it apperas to buy a striker to bolster their weak goal threat upfront, and the sale of Downing will aid this. We are interested along with Spurs. I know we are rumoured with a lot of players nowadays and its that month in the year, but diarra downing fernandes would be quality purchases. Considering our left midfield we do not have a natural left footer who can feed the Yak. I dont know how much the fee would be but sure to be in the region of 7+ mill.

I was thinking swap mcfadden + 2 mill?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daily Mail says we've rejected a bid from boro for Faddy - how true that is I don't know.

Moyes seems to be a fan of Downing - looks like boro are making one last attempt to tie him up with a contract - so if he refuses I wouldn't oppose a swap deal involving Faddy (after all faddy's on the left-wing half the time - I know who I'd prefer).

A lot of people on here evidently don't like Downing but he'll always put in a quality ball, he's an England international for more than just McClaren (although he's a big factor.) Signing Downing would allow Arteta or Pienaar move into the middle of the park possibly or just give us riches in which to rotate.

I'll second that. I'd be very disappointed if we bought him.

he was really poor against us in the recent match but in the past he has also been very impressive on occasion. I would be disappointed if we spent big money, but if we could get him for a decent price then I'd personally give him a chance. From memory, he can be an excellent crosser of the ball and a genuine left winger. Be competition for Pienaar at least. As I say, it would have to be a reasonable price (which is unlikely).

He can Cross the road aswell,

Do you honestly think you can get into the England team if you cant Cross, its what he was good at last season, but his season he has gained a bit more confidence to Take players on and Shoot.

Downing was, note the was, in the England team only because McClaren likes to "room" and "spoon" him....

He can Cross the road aswell,

Do you honestly think you can get into the England team if you cant Cross, its what he was good at last season, but his season he has gained a bit more confidence to Take players on and Shoot.

Aaron Lennon and SWP can't cross and they get into the England team too.

Downing has no skill to beat a man, he uses the Kilbane method - hit the ball forward and run after it. Except Kilbane had more pace. Downing is a poor crosser. 1 out of every 10 attempts he'll actually get a cross right, not international standard or Everton standard IMO.

Aaron Lennon and SWP can't cross and they get into the England team too.

Downing has no skill to beat a man, he uses the Kilbane method - hit the ball forward and run after it. Except Kilbane had more pace. Downing is a poor crosser. 1 out of every 10 attempts he'll actually get a cross right, not international standard or Everton standard IMO.

The reason Downing got into the england sqaud is purely becasue he's left footed. If he was right footed do you think he'd get anywhere near the set-up.

Downing is not a terrible player but he's certainley not a brilliant one. I think we could do better, i would prefer to play pienaar in the same position and he would be a fraction of the price.

Edited by jamiemaher85

the guy has totally lost his confidence at Boro and needs to move, but a year or so ago he looked an excellent prospect. Both Arteta and Pienaar weren't exactly flavour of the month at their last two clubs but Moyes saw the potential and signed them. I definitely think Downing will be too pricey for Moyes to go for him, but I do think he may turn out to be a very good player.

I know youtube can make anyone look good, but I found this

and it's the type of stuff I remember Downing producing fairly regularly a year or two ago. He's better than VDM and McFadden on the wing.

the guy has totally lost his confidence at Boro and needs to move, but a year or so ago he looked an excellent prospect. Both Arteta and Pienaar weren't exactly flavour of the month at their last two clubs but Moyes saw the potential and signed them. I definitely think Downing will be too pricey for Moyes to go for him, but I do think he may turn out to be a very good player.

I know youtube can make anyone look good, but I found this

and it's the type of stuff I remember Downing producing fairly regularly a year or two ago. He's better than VDM and McFadden on the wing.

Doesnt't take much though does it.

*sigh* A lot of people here seem to forget what VDM was when he was at Ajax. If it was remembered then it would also be recognised that comparing Downing as he is now to how VDM was then is nothing short of an insult.

But regardless, I agree with the majority; we have better in the team now, and should be aiming for better. Of course, if he is cheap then he might be a good squad player as we have little cover for that position.

Yes, they both failed, but even then VDM is still twice the player Downing is. Just another reason to not buy Downing I suppose... hell, not even for the squad, I've changed my mind on that idea now.

VDM is still twice the player Downing is? are you being serious? Downing would probably go for about £7m, we can't even give VDM away. VDM must be about the worst signing Everton has ever made, he's an absolute joke. Downing may not be a world beater, but Moyes would snatch off Southgates arm if he offered us downing for VDM and Southgate would most likely be collecting his P45 later the same day.

CArl Congratz on ur 1st AWSOME reply i have seen. VDM is twice as good as Downing Utter BULLSHIT!!! Its the other way round.

more like 100 times the player, even Kilbane was better than VDM. Downing at one stage was one of the most promising players in the country, he didn't play well for England (although on his début against Greece I seem to remember he set up 3 of the 4 goals we scored) but then again either has Lescott, Gerrard normally plays poorly etc etc. He was injured fairly badly in 2006 and took a while to recover and unfortunately I think he just needs to get out of Boro as he's obviously not got his heart in the club anymore. His crossing has always been his major attribute and he is not slow at all when I've seen him. People forget that Beckham couldn't beat a man, had little pace and wasn't the worlds best tackler, yet he was the best crosser I've ever seen and set up more goals than most of the rest of the wingers in the premier league put together. If we sold McFadden and brought Downing in for the same money I'd welcome it. Yes he may be a risk, but he's young and hungry and he does have some class about him imo.

If you just look at the some of the articles written about him in the last couple of years then you can see he is highly rated. I wouldn't want to spend big money on him, but if Moyes did think he was good enough then I'd trust him.

Edited by carlmc25

theres no point comparing downing and beckham, i rate downing higher than a fair few people here...but why compare class with decent, no point, beckham is, was, and will forever be twice the player downing could ever become... different league

Liturally, Downing - Prem, Beckham - MLS :D

wasnt the best comparison but Football aint all about Pace and Skill(dribbling and trickz).

Edited by jacko1990