IGNORED

Stewart Downing

theres no point comparing downing and beckham, i rate downing higher than a fair few people here...but why compare class with decent, no point, beckham is, was, and will forever be twice the player downing could ever become... different league

sorry, didn't obviously mean to say buying Downing at this stage in his career would mean we've got a Beckham at his peak. I was just making the point that, whilst pace is usually the major attribute associated with quality wingers, it's actually the quality of the delivery that makes the goals. We've all seen SWP in particular waste so many good positions with his poor final ball, in fact SWP is another player who has looked way out of his depth (imo) when playing for England.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't think Boro will sell him unless we go in for stupid money. He's a good player (just not a "great" player) and would fit in well with the team, but for the money we would have to spend on him he just wouldn't be wort it. If, for example, we could sell Jimmy Mac for 5m and the spend that money on Downing then i'd be happy, but the problem is that we'd probably have to spend 10m, especially in January. Boro are struggeling enough as it is, i can't see them selling their star asset at this stage in the season.

VDM is still twice the player Downing is? are you being serious? Downing would probably go for about £7m, we can't even give VDM away. VDM must be about the worst signing Everton has ever made, he's an absolute joke. Downing may not be a world beater, but Moyes would snatch off Southgates arm if he offered us downing for VDM and Southgate would most likely be collecting his P45 later the same day.

Are you telling me that Stuart Downing would have come near the same Ajax first team that VDM featured in so prominently?

If you read my post you'll actually see what I meant.

CArl Congratz on ur 1st AWSOME reply i have seen. VDM is twice as good as Downing Utter BULLSHIT!!! Its the other way round.

Same for you, read my post and you'll see what I meant.

And hell, even now, no I don't think Downing is twice the player VDM is. Just because VDM doesn't play doesn't mean he still can't be a good player.

more like 100 times the player, even Kilbane was better than VDM. Downing at one stage was one of the most promising players in the country, he didn't play well for England (although on his début against Greece I seem to remember he set up 3 of the 4 goals we scored) but then again either has Lescott, Gerrard normally plays poorly etc etc. He was injured fairly badly in 2006 and took a while to recover and unfortunately I think he just needs to get out of Boro as he's obviously not got his heart in the club anymore. His crossing has always been his major attribute and he is not slow at all when I've seen him. People forget that Beckham couldn't beat a man, had little pace and wasn't the worlds best tackler, yet he was the best crosser I've ever seen and set up more goals than most of the rest of the wingers in the premier league put together. If we sold McFadden and brought Downing in for the same money I'd welcome it. Yes he may be a risk, but he's young and hungry and he does have some class about him imo.

If you just look at the some of the articles written about him in the last couple of years then you can see he is highly rated. I wouldn't want to spend big money on him, but if Moyes did think he was good enough then I'd trust him.

If he was so highly rated then why isn't he at a better team than Middlesborough?

No point harping on about England neither as a certain Mr. Rooney failed to score in a competitive match for that team for two years. England success is no standard to be judging by, regardless of which side you would be coming from on this issue.

theres no point comparing downing and beckham, i rate downing higher than a fair few people here...but why compare class with decent, no point, beckham is, was, and will forever be twice the player downing could ever become... different league

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

rather get Pienaar whos better and cheaper

Exactly!

The point is, surely we should be aiming to capture more players of Pienaar's quality?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think we should go for Downing. He isn't that great after all and I think that he would be over priced (like all English players). I saw a guy playing for Bayer Leverkusen, his name is Tranquillo Barnetta. He is a great young player and he would fit in great at Everton. He is probably one of Leverkusens best players, and he would be cheaper than Downing.

I don't think we should go for Downing. He isn't that great after all and I think that he would be over priced (like all English players). I saw a guy playing for Bayer Leverkusen, his name is Tranquillo Barnetta. He is a great young player and he would fit in great at Everton. He is probably one of Leverkusens best players, and he would be cheaper than Downing.

Leverkusen have set Barneta an asking price of 6.5 mln pounds.

I hope moyes just signs Pienaar to get the downing links to die off, people have finally realised he's only a decent player and no were near england quality.

VDM is still twice the player Downing is? are you being serious? Downing would probably go for about £7m, we can't even give VDM away. VDM must be about

:lol:

Edited by Blue4Ever

Pienaae has been good, but will he keep it up?

i agree with what your saying but i would prefer a natural left winger.

You could ask that about any player though.

Being a natural left winger does not automatically make you any good, i.e. Kilbane. Downing just does not cut it for me, he hasn't got the skill to go past players so he relies on speed, and he doesn't even have that in abundance. I'd rather have an outstanding right footer who can play on the left than a half arsed left footer playing there just because he has a left foot.

could be another Jermaine Pennant, was great at a shit club, and is shit at the RS.

but when Downing had games for England i dont think he played badly, so thats why i think he could be good at a good team.

The thing about Pennant is he doesn't cross with any pace, he just floats it in and you can't get that much power in a header from a floated cross.

Downing never impressed me for England, but the majority of the England team don't impress me tbh.