IGNORED

Is Benitez About To Leave?

Should he go  

15 members have voted

1. 1. have your say

• Yes
    • No

Most phone ins are tonight crammed with RS moaning about the Spaniard..........thyey want him out.......................it has at least cheered me up a bit. The Onion openly refused to discuss his contract tonight, he has again turned a new offer down

I want him to stay and damage them a bit more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what do you say, vote now

Is Benitez About To Leave?

I'm unsure about right now this minute, I think that the questin will have a clearer answer after the Real Madrid game. He really has crumbled since Manchester United came close to the top place and now he dosen't seem to be able to manage efficiently. The tactics that he's been fielding have been poor and Liverpool are starting to look like a team for the taking. Teams are going to Anfield looking confident of at least a point and with the state of affairs at the moment they wont be lifting the title in May.

Should he go?

As an Everton fan I will say no, because I want him to stay and do some more damage. It's funny. But if I were a Liverpool fan then I would be calling for Rafa's head. He's cocking the team right up and needs to either do something now or leave. If they go out of the Champions League he will go with it, Real Madrid could decided whether he stays or go's for me.

Guest efctaxi

I have to say the press have too much influence on matters in sport in this country .

Why would he openly discuss his contract with the media ? I wouldn't discuss it with them either . As much as we are rivals with Liverpool as a club , I don't buy in to the ' all things anti LFC ' thing that others might do .

He's had some decent results since joining them , and it's unfortunate for him that United and Chelsea etc have been so strong in recent years .

The red fans are complaining about his dealings in the transfer market , and telling certain players to go with him , but how quickly they forget the importance of him getting Gerrard to re-sign , as well as players such as Torres , Alonso , Reina to name but a few .

Lots of people say they are a one man team , but that simply isn't the case . It's just that Gerrard is in a whole class of his own , and his leadership skills are second to none on the pitch , so it's obvious his absence makes a big difference .

Liverpool are still competing at the top level , and the only difference between them and United , save opinions on certain players , is possibly the Aura that United have over opposition , which Liverpool perhaps don't .

Should Uniteds dominance be another managers downfall ?

He opened his mouth and said what many others would loved to say . It might have not been politically correct , but he's been a focal point for the press since .

The red fans need to stop crying , and have a little open mindedness about the situation . Some you win , and some you lose , but you have to be the best to win over 38 games , and the season is far from over .

I say get off the guys back , both press and fans :)

Edited by efctaxi

Reading some of the humerous posts from the Liverpool fans on TEAMTalk.

ElNino

My facts are 100% correct. i quoted "they (Man utd) never play for 1 nils and we do which is why we draw too many" They may have won 7 i nils or whatever the stat is but the fact is they have 4 world class attacking players on at the time. They dont take someone like Gerrard off when we were 1 up against Wigan....oh yeah we drew that one. Anyway today did not suprise me, poor managerial decisions yet again playing Lucas and not Babel. Riera is not good enough, Agger should be playing week in week out etc etc

dbrown

Manager needs to go NOT A KNEE JERK REACTION Lucas and Dossena starting while Auriello and Babel on bench. Clueless manager I hope we lose against Real MAdrid european success has disguise poor management.

voodookinmafia

Where was Dan Agger today? Why didn't Aurelio start? Guess it's the usual Benitez con trick of saving them for Wednesday so he can continue to inflate his own ego in Europe. What a charlatan he's given up on the league and no wonder the players have too it seems.

He certinly doesn't seem to be able to do anything right at the moment.Thought their squad today for the amount of money he has spent looked very ordinary.

On Agger!.....Chap at work who's from liverpool and returns often, always seems to have his finger on the pulse of what's going on at anfield.....told me ages ago (well a couple of months), that there was a major problem with Aggers personal life!!.......just surprised, even if it's only a rumour that more of their own fans don't know what's going on!!

He certinly doesn't seem to be able to do anything right at the moment.Thought their squad today for the amount of money he has spent looked very ordinary.

On Agger!.....Chap at work who's from liverpool and returns often, always seems to have his finger on the pulse of what's going on at anfield.....told me ages ago (well a couple of months), that there was a major problem with Aggers personal life!!.......just surprised, even if it's only a rumour that more of their own fans don't know what's going on!!

drug abuse if rumours are to be believed.

I dont think he should go as he is doing damage to their club and i can only see a better manager coming in if he goes.

I doubt he will leave when it comes to it. He just thinks he's clever trying to push the owners as far as he can to get what he wants. Last time when it looked like he had pushed them too far and they were about to sack him he backtracked massively and made himself look a bit silly, which I'm sure he will do again.

Whether he should go is another matter. I would say yes he probably should. Are Liverpool any closer to winning the league under him than under Houllier? Not really. I don't have a strong opinion either way but it would be nice to see a decent challenge from them.

'The club have been concerned by speculation that their Spanish manager is about to leave, and sources at Anfield insist that the 48 year-old's position is safe. Liverpool sources have felt moved to respond to claims that bookmakers have suspended betting on Benitez's future. A source close to the club said: "Rafa is not going to be sacked, such suggestions are ridiculous'

>More<

Guest efctaxi

Bookmakers stop bets on manager Rafa Benitez out at Liverpool

5 hours ago

LONDON — Bookmakers suspended betting on Rafa Benitez' future with Liverpool on Wednesday after being swamped with bets that he would quit or be fired.

While Benitez was in Spain for Liverpool's Champions League game against Real Madrid, the bookmakers said that a rumour that he had turned down a new contract had sparked a spree of betting.

Bookmakers William Hill offered odds of 20-1 Tuesday that Benitez would be the next Premier League manager to leave his club, But they had to suspend betting Wednesday morning after being flooded with calls that he would leave after Liverpool's game at next-to-last Middlesbrough on Saturday.

"The level of interest on Rafa getting the sack is unprecedented with over 300 calls logged today alone," William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams said Wednesday. "We would be very surprised if Rafa is still the Liverpool boss by midnight on Sunday."

Although Liverpool is second in the Premier League, it is seven points behind Manchester United having been top five weeks ago and has not won the domestic championship since 1990.

Some interesting odds here too for a few jobs , with Moyes name high on United list .

http://www.skybet.com/skybet?action=GoEvType&id=10002896

He might not be everybodys cup of tea across the park, but they cant fault his exploits in Europe cos he always seems to get it right.

Would be interesting to see his win/loss ratio in Europe since he came, if they had been league games he probably would have won the league by now. :P

Did anyone see any of the game last night?

Some of the passing from Real Madrid would have made Everton look good :unsure:

Looking at what Madrid had to offer, then it will be no surprise for the four English teams to be there right to the end.

Luckypool did at times park the bus!, but they did the job and got the result, which they couldn't do against us, Stoke, Wigan etc,etc!

My point is English football is pretty strong at the moment, even though Chelsea and Arsenal are undrperforming, and is the best league in the world.

The winners of the champions league will again be English......could just be rafa!

If Arsenal and Chelsea had been stronger this season, and Everton hadn't suffered so many injuries, I think luckypool would have been fighting out 4th or 5th place with us and Villa....that would have probably caused rafa to be under more pressure than he is now.

He will get 2nd place, and Madrid won't beat them in the CL, is that enough to keep him in his job!....

Would he like a less stressfull job with a better salary...in the sun!

Is he a better manager than Moyes.....pound for pound/point for point?

Guest efctaxi
Did anyone see any of the game last night?

Some of the passing from Real Madrid would have made Everton look good :unsure:

Looking at what Madrid had to offer, then it will be no surprise for the four English teams to be there right to the end.

Luckypool did at times park the bus!, but they did the job and got the result, which they couldn't do against us, Stoke, Wigan etc,etc!

My point is English football is pretty strong at the moment, even though Chelsea and Arsenal are undrperforming, and is the best league in the world.

The winners of the champions league will again be English......could just be rafa!

If Arsenal and Chelsea had been stronger this season, and Everton hadn't suffered so many injuries, I think luckypool would have been fighting out 4th or 5th place with us and Villa....that would have probably caused rafa to be under more pressure than he is now.

He will get 2nd place, and Madrid won't beat them in the CL, is that enough to keep him in his job!....

Would he like a less stressfull job with a better salary...in the sun!

Is he a better manager than Moyes.....pound for pound/point for point?

They are two completely different managers from entirely different backgrounds .

There is no saying that if you gave Moyes the funds , he would win the league etc . There is also no grounds to suggest that Rafa wouldn't do just as good a job at Everton as Moyes has . We've generally been a club that has had to fight against the odds , and Liverpool have generally been the odds we fought against . The biggest difference between the two clubs is money . The biggest difference between the two managers has been opportunity . Moyes opportunity will come , but it might disappoint us when that happens , unless some investment comes to the club .

Or will he? By the looks of things Liverpool are about to drop points at Middlesbrough.

64 That is surely that in the game and the title race. Aliadiere breaks down the right and crosses low to Tuncay who sweeps the ball inside the far post.

32 From the resulting corner, Downing slings the ball into the six-yard box and, with no Boro player attacking the ball, Alonso is unfortunate to deflect into his own net with his thigh.

If things stay the way that they are Liverpool will slip into 3rd with Chelsea in the driving seat to challenge United. John Terry currently has them 1-0 up against Wigan (Stamford Bridge) and it could mean that the Liverpool v United game at Old Trafford could be worthless :rolleyes: Stay tuned, maybe Rafa isn't safe after all.

Interesting stat I looked up after hearing Steve Claridge talking about in on Final Score.

Since Rafa joined Liverpool he's signed (not including trainee's given a contract of which there have been eighteen) seventy-three players. I find that mind boggling.

As a comparison during that time Davey's signed thirty-seven (forty-nine during his whole time here).

Maybe if you'd not sold Keane you may have had a srtiker capable of taking one eh Rafa ;) ?

Robbie Keane never settled in at Liverpool and after only a few games it was inevitable that he would not have a long Anfield career. He did score 5 goals for Liverpool but that's nothing compared to the 80 he slammed in for Tottenham. I know that it's obvious why he scored more at Tottenham, he was there longer. But at Tottenham he was a totally differant player, at Liverpool he didn't look like a real threat and never looked like causing problems. Things didn't work out and some of that has to be from the manager. Benitez didn't treat him fairly at all and didn't give the lad a fair chance. Leaving a £20 million+ striker on the bench just dosen't seem right and he needed matches in order to get goals.

The wrong approach from Benitez meant Keane was always going to be a flop.

Upon his departure, Keane had accumlated only 25 appearances in all competitions during his six month tenure with the Reds, the club he had dreamed of representing since childhood

If he's dreamed of playing for Liverpool since being little does it not make sense that he would do well there? It just dosent add up and Keane can't be to blame for his bad form, he wasn't treated well down at Liverpool.

I presume that an optimistic view on next season is it :mellow: ?

:D

Think last summer's transfer window coupled with some unlucky injuries as suspensions to Torres,Gerrard, Alonso and Arbeloa killed this season for us. Rafa is to blame for getting the wrong players/players who didnt settle to the club last summer but some of the arguments put forward like his 'stubbornness' or 'zonal marking' are just plain dumb.

And the anti-Rafa sentiment is still easily a minority. There was a poll on one of the liverpool forums which had over 500 votes on whether Rafa deserves to stay and over 85% of fans agreed that he did. Most of the people calling phone ins are numpties anyway.

Good to see that atleast you're having a good season, Mikeo. Well no..but still congrats anyway.

Edited by xavier

Since Rafa joined Liverpool he's signed (not including trainee's given a contract of which there have been eighteen) seventy-three players. I find that mind boggling.

He's bought in a lot of players for the reserves and U 18. They're not exactly trainees but both English and foreign players to revamp what was a youth system with really poor players. Since then we've won the FA youth cup twice and the reserve league once.

Here too he's had a problem with not having complete control over the youth system, both with regards to players..playing techniques..and training. (Remember he's been the manager of the Castilla, so he probably knows what he's doing with regards to young players) Its something that other managers just expect but Rafa's had to fight for it. Parry got in Piet Hamburg jus because he was his sons mate. Bloody shame whats happening behind the scenes for us... we're a laughing stock.