IGNORED

Champions League Draw

Just looking at the Liverpool OS to see their reaction to the game tonight.

Don't believe that they actually posted this "stat" in the match report.

"Prior to kick-off Liverpool had won all five Champions League knockout ties under Rafa Benitez when the first leg has been played on a Wednesday. It was a positive statistic but one that the hosts would not be able to preserve come the full-time whistle."

Pathetically poor writing.

Another classic bit...

"The remainder of the first-period seemed to pass by in a blur...."

How can a serious report on a game of football contain that line?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction for next week:

Arsenal - Villareal

Porto - Manchester

Chelsea Liverpool

Bayern -Barca

Villareal we're very strong the first half, it could have been 2 or 3-0 at half time. I hope they can get that level at Emirates.

Manchester, i hope they fail, but i don't think so.

Guest efctaxi

The results of the first leg have blown things wide open .

I still think Liverpool are capable of scoring 3 at Chelsea , especially with no John Terry , though it was a very surprising result .

As for Barcelona , doing it against Bayern , and doing it against the English sides are 2 completely different tasks .

My favourites were Liverpool , but now I think United are probably my favourites to win .

A Barca/ United final would be a little bit tasty. Then united fans could really see what great football looks like, and in a player like Messi, they will see that great players get stuck and don't just mope around sulk like Ronaldo

Think Barcelona could go a long way in this years Champions League. I just hope that an English team (bar Liverpool) end up at least in the final. I woulden't Liverpool off yet because of the reason that Mark gave. They're Liverpool. Three goals don't seem to be a problem in the Champions League where they are most dominant.

You just get the feeling that Gerrard will do something magical and piss off all us Evertonians..

Arsenal - Villareal

Porto - United

Chelsea Liverpool

Bayern -Barca

I think Arsenal will be to strong at home against Villareal and with the away goal it makes it that little bit easier 2-1

It will be a very tough game for United at Porto and im not so sure they will progress as Porto have two away goals if they can turn on the style i still think it will go to pens

Chelsea are playing very well under Hiddink and i really can't see a way out for the shite which is always nice to see, I dont think Terry's exclusion will be a big deal to be honest as they have Carvalho who is as good if not better then Terry anyway 2-1

As said Barca are the team to beat this year and are playing some top football and even though they are away i think they will beat Bayern away from home 1-3

Arsenal vs. Villareal

With an away goal and coming back from losing Arsenal have to be in the driving seat. They have a better team, IMO, on paper and will be able to walk past Villareal without a worry. The home crowd will play to the Gunners strengths and with players like Fabregas and Addebayor I can see Arsenal getting through this with no worries.

Arsenal 2 Villareal 0

Porto vs. Manchester United

FC Porto had a good game at Old Trafford but I think that United are simply too good. When it matters they always seem to make it count and will be going all out for this trophy, the one that means the most to them. If players like Ronaldo & Rooney play to their best then once again there will be glory for the English. I expect Ferguson to have the adrenaline at maximum for this encounter.

FC Porto 0 Manchester United 3

Chelsea vs. Liverpool

I think that Liverpool will win on the night but not in the tie. The goal differance is high but it never seems to appeal to Liverpool. They have proved just what they can do after 'that game' with AC Milan. They will score a few goals with one coming from Gerrard but a Chelsea goal will make it all count for nothing.

Chelsea 1 Liverpool 2

Bayerm Munich vs. Barcelona

Not well up on either of these teams but I'll put my money on Barcelona to win. With players like Messi and Henry it's going to be a tough game for the Germans. They can do it, I just don't think they will.

Bayerm Munich 0 Barcelona 1

Some goal that by ronaldo.

Credit where credit is due, liverpool put up a strong fight against chelsea, one of the best games ive ever seen in the champions league.

I'd love to say the keeper should have got it, he didn't even smell it, cracker I hope its out of his system for Sunday......Howard and long shots OMG

Guest efctaxi

What a shot .

I wonder how far it would have travelled if the net hadn't been there .

What got me was his audacity to even contemplate it .

What a shot .

I wonder how far it would have travelled if the net hadn't been there .

What got me was his audacity to even contemplate it .

The thing with the goal is that the goalkeeper isn't in a bad position. If it had been an ordenary shot then he could have saved it but that from Ronaldo was something special. The speed at which is flew through the air and into the net was phenominal. Such a great player and he didn't seem to take that much effort into the whole process. Fantastic. Great player.

Let's hope that the power used for that shot had some negative effect on his leg for the FA Cup tie. ;)

and what a miserable look on his kipper....................I guess that all is not well in that dressing room as it appears that he glared at the bench more han once

I think he was glaring at porto's bench... As you know, Ronaldo was a product of Sporting's academy, and, since his performances in our national team haven't been on par with his quality, porto and benfica fans aren't really big fans of him. I know he's quite happy having knocked out porto with that shot :D

I remember him beeing subbed against benfica a couple of years back, where he gave their fans a "parting gift", showing them that their feelings for him are reciprocated:

F_200609_september2_153335a.jpg

Guest efctaxi

While we're on the subject of Ronaldo , I wonder if he missed his vocation as part of the Riverdance choreography team :lol:

I sincerely hope he gets rested on Sunday , as well as Rooney ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Ronaldo's freekick against arsenal was epic!

decent game so far

Very poor goalkeeping.

Was looking forward to this and it was over after ten minutes <_< .

I'd love to slap Ronaldo's smug arrogant obnoxious ugly cheating face. I hate that man.