IGNORED

Usa Beginning To Take Football Seriously?

“SportsCenter” is going on safari in 2010.

a

For the first time, ESPN will take its popular daily news program to the World Cup with two on-site sets and three host anchors offering live and tape-delayed coverage from South Africa in 2010. The undertaking will be more similar in scale to how the network uses “SportsCenter” at the Super Bowl as opposed to how it uses remote sets at an event like the recent Belmont Stakes.

“It will be fired up day, night, at all hours to serve the needs of [ESPN’s] family of networks,” said Jed Drake, ESPN senior vice president and executive producer, event production. “We are giving it everything we can to make it special.”

The move is just one in a series of program changes ESPN is making to its World Cup coverage in 2010, the first of two World Cups it is paying a combined $100 million to broadcast. The network also will film behind-the-scenes features on the people, culture, places and athletes in South Africa and offer the same type of lead-ins and lead-outs for games that it airs during “Monday Night Football.”

The changes underscore the importance the network is placing on the event in South Africa. ESPN identified the World Cup as one of its three corporate priorities this year. In years past, the only other productions to make that list were “SportsCenter” and the NBA.

“We’re looking at it as the premiere opportunity for the company to become immersed in a premiere global event,” said Scott Guglielmino, ESPN vice president of programming.

The centerpiece of that immersion will be two “SportsCenter” sets that will contribute to “SportsCenter” broadcasts in 14 countries throughout the monthlong World Cup, broadcasting in eight languages.

ESPN also holds World Cup rights in several Asian countries through ESPN Star Sports, as well as in Brazil.

The U.S., the most important market in the ESPN family, will use one of the sets for World Cup reports, including a nightly “World Cup Live” show. ESPN will have three anchor hosts and four reporters, who will follow teams and file reports from South Africa. One reporter likely will be assigned to the U.S. team in the same way ESPN reporter Ed Werder is assigned to the Dallas Cowboys. The group will collectively contribute to the majority of ESPN’s planned 45 hours of studio coverage of the World Cup.

ESPN will round out that “SportsCenter” coverage with features on the culture, people and continent of Africa. A crew will visit the country in advance of the World Cup to film features that have an “Olympic feel,” Drake said.

The network also sent its “Monday Night Football” production team to South Africa during this week’s Confederations Cup to collect footage of everything from safari ranges to behind-the-scenes shots of players preparing for games in their locker rooms. That footage will be spliced into segments leading into and out of broadcasts of the World Cup games.

ESPN hasn’t made any decisions about announcers and analysts for games, but executives said that it planned to handle the 2010 World Cup more like its telecasts of the Euro 2008 tournament than of the 2006 World Cup. For the Euros, it used Sky Sports commentator and Brit Andy Gray, whereas for the 2006 World Cup it used American Dave O’Brien.

The entire plan — from “SportsCenter” to its announcers — guarantees a dramatically different approach to the 2010 World Cup than what ESPN did in Germany in 2006. That year, the network sublicensed the rights from Soccer United Marketing. In 2010, it will own them and it is treating the event accordingly.

“We are hitting [south Africa] hard,” Drake said. “You will see coverage that, when it’s all said and done, will not only represent the event well but will capture the unique character and culture and people of this magnificent place.”

Staff writer John Ourand contributed to this report.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/62833

• 2 weeks later...

• There aren't enough points.
  • It's not violent enough.
  • We didn't think the game up and it is therefore suspect.
  • We have never won a championship.
  • Were too fat

Those five reason are the most likely as to why United States folk do not play football. I am not critisising Americans here because even though on the whole they do seem rather arragant and un-intelligent there are some nice people from there. The reasons for them not taking to soccer is probably because they didnt invent it, lets face it. Americans only really want to talk about what they have had influence with. And the last point, they are all too busy ordering in Burger King to play a nice game of soccer.

• There aren't enough points.
  • It's not violent enough.
  • We didn't think the game up and it is therefore suspect.
  • We have never won a championship.
  • Were too fat

Those five reason are the most likely as to why United States folk do not play football. I am not critisising Americans here because even though on the whole they do seem rather arragant and un-intelligent there are some nice people from there. The reasons for them not taking to soccer is probably because they didnt invent it, lets face it. Americans only really want to talk about what they have had influence with. And the last point, they are all too busy ordering in Burger King to play a nice game of soccer.

Stereotypes are fucking immature and out of order, mate.

Americans are not fat, unintelligent OR arrogant, grow the fuck up. And an ENGLISH person is hardly one to be taking to stereotyping, seeing as you are possibly one of THE most easily stereotyped nations in the world.

Edited by Grarghsies

Americans are generally closed off to the rest of the world.... so no wonder many of them don't know much about "soccer". I'm not exactly saying the world loves it so americans are wrong not to embrace it..... you could say football is part of are culture which over the years has spread around the world..... America doesn't exactly embrace other cultures so these feelings got football don't "travel"

I'm glad anyway because I'm sure if they really took to it they would eventually just end up dominating the game......

As they say.... football in America is a game played by men with odly shaped balls

Stereotypes are fucking immature and out of order, mate.

Americans are not fat, unintelligent OR arrogant, grow the fuck up. And an ENGLISH person is hardly one to be taking to stereotyping, seeing as you are possibly one of THE most easily stereotyped nations in the world.

How are we one of the most easily stereotyped nations in the world?

Looking at America they are rather arrogant and ignorant to the rest of the world, not all the people but yes, America is an arrogant country.

How are we one of the most easily stereotyped nations in the world?

Looking at America they are rather arrogant and ignorant to the rest of the world, not all the people but yes, America is an arrogant country.

Well which stereotype do you want me to start with? Do you want the racist, fat, northern, unemployed ex-miner drunk out of his mind or the foppish, received pronunciation, right-wing southerner?

I don't see an openly fascist and Nazi party being elected in the U.S.

I also fail to see how you can call them arrogant, seeing as nearly everything America has done in the last 8 years has been supported by your elected officials.

I think you might do well to get your head out of your arse Dark and actually learn something about the world.

You can't call them ignorant if soccer isn't popular there. Big deal. Soccer isn't the most popular sport where I'm from, its not even the most popular code of football.

Tbh, I can't wait for JC to get home :D

Edited by Grarghsies

America have 300 million people. Enough said. They have those one in 6 billion Cristiano Ronaldo super players born every month. Problem is, those kids chose NFL or NBA or aren't discovered in 'football' due to there being no decent football academies there; they have to fly overseas if they wanna do well in that sport. Like New Zealand, Australia, Fiji and so on.

America have 300 million people. Enough said. They have those one in 6 billion Cristiano Ronaldo super players born every month. Problem is, those kids chose NFL or NBA or aren't discovered in 'football' due to there being no decent football academies there; they have to fly overseas if they wanna do well in that sport. Like New Zealand, Australia, Fiji and so on.

Not really sure if your math is correct there :).

However I do think it might be a money issue as well.. Soccer just doesn't pay as good as their big sports.

Guest efctaxi
There's only 1 trouble maker on here and it comes in the form of a camp bunny in a nice blue shirt! - it's like the Donnie Darko bunny, leading you to subcontiously post trouble!!! ;)

I'ts a dog you thick Manc loving puff . :lol:

I'ts a dog you thick Manc loving puff . :lol:

Thick! I love few mancs! Puff... look at your doggy then - what a shit dog! If there's anyone dropping their anchor in Poo Bay, then I believe it to be the man with the gay, doggy, rabbit, disabled little thing! :gay:

Guest efctaxi
Thick! I love few mancs! Puff... look at your doggy then - what a shit dog! If there's anyone dropping their anchor in Poo Bay, then I believe it to be the man with the gay, doggy, rabbit, disabled little thing! :gay:

As opposed to subcontiously ?

Being a smart ass doesn't become you . :)

Guest efctaxi
That's better now ;)

Although you're talking about ass again! :gay:

You have fantasies about me don't you luvvy . Would you like a pic ? :wub:

I see you have quite a collection of semi naked men in your gallery already :P

Only what you've sent me... keep them coming! Bored now, going to listen to my "Best of Ian Brown" album with Les Battersby in the sunshineeeeeee because I fooking love mancs!!!

Guest efctaxi
Get a (chat)room please, waaayyy of topic :)

you lads are scaring of potential new members :P

Removed my pic .

You were the only person to see it , so now I will have to locate you and kill you :D

Americans don't like football the same reason we don't like baseball....it just never caught on over there the same way it did here, and vice versa.

I don't really think we need a thread dedicated to the two-way bashing of our respective countries, I mean come on guys, we've got to have some level of integrity here.

One contributing factor I saw in the list that was put up though, and it was picked up on in a post, is that America already has a host of sports that get nationwide attention (NFL, NBA, etc). These sports have a lot of money in them, and are practiced and taught in almost every school in the country which is why they continue to thrive. Football doesn't have that over there, but it does over here, and in a lot of other countries that love the sport.

Either way, America having so many kids interested in sport, are capable of producing world class talent if it does pick up. Maybe the World Cup Finals next year will provide a springboard for that. I wouldn't rule it out.

Not really sure if your math is correct there :).

Lol no it wasn't. I'll rephrase.

America is always producing Michael Jordan's, Kobe Bryant etc type people who, from the age of five, can truly choose any sport they want. My point is, with Football being so small over there, the true football fans (kids) have to fly overseas to even dream of making it. So they end up saying meh, and stick to Basketball or Gridiron.