IGNORED

Moutinho

I don't know where he would fit in our squad :huh:

Arteta, Cahill, Neville, Fellaini, Pienaar, Osman, Rodwell, Gosling.

That's our midfield, and the first 4 are pretty much guarunteed a starting place, so basically Moutinho would knock one of them out the squad. Neville's our captain, so he won't get dropped, Arteta and Cahill won't be, so all I can think we could drop is Fellaini to the bench but then he was our record transfer last year.

We need to get wide players, that should be our priority. Osman and Pienaar while quality players don't have the pace to be wingers, and Osman is far better in a central attacking midfield role as shown against Wigan.

I'd love everton to get a 2 left sided players and a right winger, but we just don't seem to want to do that.

Moutinho is fantastic and I love him to be here, but only if we plan on getting rid of one of our midfielders, and to be honest, I don't want to. I'd rather just add to them.

As much as I would like him here, with Arteta, Cahill, Fellaini, Neville, Rodwell and Osman (even Castillio if he stays-but he won't) all who can play in a central role I really do not see him as a priority and with the limited funds that we have really got to add width to the team as that is seriously lacking in our play.

as much as i agree with you jamie, do you think moyes wants width? hes been here a long time, never bought a player with actual width (apart from VDM)

Absolute top class player and would be a great signing for us IF it happens.

Apart from the top 4 we would be the most attractive option for footballing reasons to him and from the few snippets of quotes I have heard from him he seems a level headed guy who doesnt seem like the type to go somewhere for just a fat wage packet (hopefully that rules out west ham,newcastle,man city etc). I did feel he would go to chelsea this summer as they are gonna offload malouda,ballack etc however since big phil has left I think we could be in pole position!

I think our main rivals for his signature will be from spain, as teams like real madrid,barca,villareal etc will always be in the hunt for players like him (even tho he would probably end up wasting on the bench for a couple of seasons)

Fingers crossed on this one as I would love him here, if not there is another starlet in the same mould who is going to be available and for a smaller fee I wouldnt mind in instead - van der vaart!

COYB'S!

as much as i agree with you jamie, do you think moyes wants width? hes been here a long time, never bought a player with actual width (apart from VDM)

Very good point actually Steve. But when Arteta came in he did give us width, he has only lost that ability due to his injury hampering his pace. Now don't get me wrong, I would love to see Joao in an Everton shirt I just feel that with the money we have we probably need to invest in other places. Moyes may not like using wider players, but it would nice to have the option, at least the injection of some pace would be refreshing for the team.

it would be very refreshing. i cant agree about arteta thou mate, i thought he was brought in to replace tommy in the middle, just wasnt physical enough and got shoved out wide it seemed to me. i think moutinho would be great for us long term, if we want and can afford him.

This is one very good player, I think we are all agreed on that point, but IMO he wants bigger than Sporting, bigger than us and of course the money to go with it. Due to changes in taxation law these islands are now a far less attractive place for foreigners to come to, especially top earners......................we can't afford him so just don't build your hopes up it will not happen.....................all city have to do is out bid anyone and out pay anyone :angry:

I agree that Joao would be a great addition and that the intent shown by the management with his signing would be immense. However I still feel that other options could benefit us immediatly. I really rate Eljero Elia, I think that he would be a great addition. Natural winger who can opperate in an advanced role, with youth on his side. I may be biased with my love of dutch football but i really feel he would be a great signing.

I'd love Joao in an everton shirt (though I can't see it happening) but I can think of a few people who would benefit us to a greater extent. I think that a central tree of Neville and Arteta sitting deep and Cahill advanced with Pienaar and a player such as Elia out wide we could really be a force.

i believe DM would be looking at moutinho as more of a pienaar type playing on the left but drifting infield when possible as he has filled that role alot at sporting this season.i think we do need a natural winger to add a bit of flexibility to the squad but i think DM prefers to play with attacking full backs than have out and out wingers.

i believe DM would be looking at moutinho as more of a pienaar type playing on the left but drifting infield when possible as he has filled that role alot at sporting this season.i think we do need a natural winger to add a bit of flexibility to the squad but i think DM prefers to play with attacking full backs than have out and out wingers.

I think your right. DM hasn't brought into the wingers, and the way we play, our link up play on the sides represents the full backs intentions. Moutinho is a no brainer, i will eat a fuckin brick if he comes here and isn't one of the best players in the league. He is tenacious ;) and very frigging skillful. He is a complete handful, and an utter nusience to teams, think Stevie P's running, Arteta's skill and Cahill's doggedness...and you have Moutinho. I like him alot, i think he opitimises DM ideal characteristics in a player. Altho i agree with many it would be nice for a winger/forward of quality to burn down the flanks :lol:

I'm not sure tho DM likes that idea? As a sub yeah, but i think DM favourite formation would include a midfield of 5;

A defensive leader, to sit in front of the defence, add a bit of height, a good tackler and a good reader of the game who will rattle a few cages with some meaty hits, but likes to play simple balls, or have the ability to bring in and control 'runners';

A hard working all rounder who controls the tempo, brings vision and the element of suprise into games, techniqually very good, probably the most skillfull player on the pitch;

A character who can bring the best out of people, maybe a local lad who optimises the Everton ethos, the bravery, the loyality, the inspiration;

The offensive runner, someone who looks for channels, gaps and will take any given opportunity to rip-the-shit out of a defensive line, someone with speed and agility, who can drift in and out to create openings, take shots ffrom outside the box, and be inside it when the move finishes;

The fox-in-the-box, the 'pain in the arse', the guy who supports the front man, drops off to help his midfielders when in need but will stick by his front man at every opportunity, finds himself in the box, at the right time, gives a few body checks, lets the defenders know he's there, but won't stop running, the stamina of a stud.

p.s. this is what i think DM is looking for, i might be completely wrong, so sorry lol

You know what i would like, a Veloso and Moutinho double swoop, £18m for both with increases based on CL, goals and appearances. My god i would need more boxers, think of this as a midfield....(i like it anyway :D ) with attacking fullbacks, very Inter (from a few seasons ago)

----------Arteta-----Veloso----------

---------------Fellaini-----------------

---------Moutinho--------------------

--------------------Cahill-------------

Then a team of:

-------------------Howard------------------

--New RB----Lescott----Jagielka----Baines--

--------------------Veloso----------------------

---------Fellaini-------------Arteta-------------

-------------Moutinho--------------------------

-------------------------Cahill------------------

-----------------Yakubu------------------------

---------------- OR--------------------

-------------------Howard----------------------

--New RB----Lescott-----Jagielka----Baines--

----------Arteta-------Veloso------------------

-----------------Fellaini-------------------------

-------Moutinho--------------------------------

-----------------------Cahill--------------------

---------------Yakubu--------------------------

You like?

Edited by tenaciousj

p.s. this is what i think DM is looking for, i might be completely wrong, so sorry lol

You know what i would like, a Veloso and Moutinho double swoop, £18m for both with increases based on CL, goals and appearances. My god i would need more boxers, think of this as a midfield....(i like it anyway :D ) with attacking fullbacks, very Inter (from a few seasons ago)

----------Arteta-----Veloso----------

---------------Fellaini-----------------

---------Moutinho--------------------

--------------------Cahill-------------

Then a team of:

-------------------Howard------------------

--New RB----Lescott----Jagielka----Baines--

--------------------Veloso----------------------

---------Fellaini-------------Arteta-------------

-------------Moutinho--------------------------

-------------------------Cahill------------------

-----------------Yakubu------------------------

---------------- OR--------------------

-------------------Howard----------------------

--New RB----Lescott-----Jagielka----Baines--

----------Arteta-------Veloso------------------

-----------------Fellaini-------------------------

-------Moutinho--------------------------------

-----------------------Cahill--------------------

---------------Yakubu--------------------------

You like?

sounds about right to me mate though not sure if we need veloso cos neville has been good this season and if rodwell carries on the way he is developing then he will be outsanding in that holding role.

j_moutinho@msn.net

Awesome! lol

"Dear Joao,

You won't know me but im a big fan of yours. I live in England, and support the most amazing club in Europe, Everton FC. I know you have heard of us because for two years now, we have wanted you to join our team, maybe tried tapping you up, who knows, but we have put in a couple of legit bids to take you from portugal. I understand you play for, and are captain of arguably the most important club for portugease football, but we in our own right are arguably the current most important team in the English game and we would like you to join us :)

I understand this alone, probably won't tempt you but we can do this the easy way, or the hard way. The hard way resembles something closely to what happened to Archie Mitchell this week in Eastenders...you get me drift?

So don't be a little blighter (in the words of our attacking midefielder, Tim Cahill) and join the revolution.

Also Joao, your gona have to keep an eye on your girl, Ana Gomes, added me on Facebook and the web cam shiz we do...its awesome!

Anyway, hope you're well and the suns shining over in Lisbon,

Kindest regards

A passionate blue,

TenaciousJ

Sorry to say that £18m probably won't get you both... The GBP is weaker against the euro, and their release clauses are €25m and €30m, and both have contracts till 2013.

Also, Veloso is, from what I've seen, very similar to Fellaini. Powerful DM, inteligent when moving forward, both have hair issues ;), both score goals, Fellaini more of a header, Veloso has a pretty good left foot, so unless DM plans on playing with 2 DMs, seems to me that it's a lot of cash to pay for a potential sub...

As for JM, he's a box to box. He can play DM, LM, RM, playmacker, but he's at his best as a CM, with liberty of movement. He's a decent playmaker, but lacks more experience, namely in reading the game, he plays well in both sides of the pitch, decent crosser, but his strengh is his versatility. I think he'd fit in best in a classic 4-4-2, with another box to box CM along side him, but a stronger CM, with a bigger defensive presence. JM is good defensively, is a good tackler and recovers a lot balls, but he's small, and he'll lose most physical disputes, ence my view of him having a stronger CM (Fellaini or Veloso) along side him.

If you go for 4-5-1, your LM and RM would have to be almost wingers, so you could quickly change into a 4-3-3, otherwise it's too many people in the middle, I think... Pienaar, Arteta, Fellaini, Moutinho, Cahill that's a lot of people in the middle...

Edited by Sporting4ever

Fellaini doesnt play DM for us, he plays much further up the field. i think long term with plenty of time to mature his game, him and Moutinho could be a very strong force in the middle of the park.

Possibly, but what about the others?

While I see the advantages of having alternatives, unless someone leaves, I think it's too many midfielders in a squad. And I know, we have Moutinho, Veloso, Romagnoli, Rochemback, Adrien Silva, Pereirinha Izmailov and Vuckcevic. and while there's a few that play on the wings, or can play, there's 4 or 5 that are at their best in the center...

of all our midfielders (which still isnt many) arteta, cahill, neville and fellaini are the only central ones. in my opinion anyway. osman and pienaar are better suited out wide to me. dont wanna include the teens as i dont think its fair

of all our midfielders (which still isnt many) arteta, cahill, neville and fellaini are the only central ones. in my opinion anyway. osman and pienaar are better suited out wide to me. dont wanna include the teens as i dont think its fair

Osman has his poorest games for us when he plays outwide though Steve, he looks far more comfortable and effective in the centre of the park.

i dunno what osmans best position is to be honest think hes best suited outwide if they are a bit tough in the middle as he is lightweight but if its a skillful centre mid then hes better there as hes got good quick feet. had a blinder against wigan i though and he was mainly on the wings then.

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...sl=pt&tl=en

The Portugese press seem to think it is "almost inevitable" that he will be on his way to Goodison in the summer

I don't want by this comment to deny any potential deal that might be made. Like I've said in the past, hopefully we'll have a change in the club's leadership, so this might happen or not, can't really say.

HOWEVER, to put things in prespective, A Bola is regarded as benfica's unofficial newspaper. Last weekend, benfica lost at home, and is now 4 points behind Sporting, and 8 behind leaders porto. It's a given that benfica won't be champions this year, and most likely won't even make it to the CL qualifying round (only 2 teams from Portugal qualify next year), so this is clearly one more attempt to destabilize Sporting, to see if it helps them do the ONLY thing they try to do these past seasons: Beat us... ;)

Last season, Everton ofered as much as what you payed for Fellaini and we didn't sell, I don't see us going lower this season, poor economy or not...

Last season, Everton ofered as much as what you payed for Fellaini and we didn't sell, I don't see us going lower this season, poor economy or not...

The trouble is the economy Portugal has one of Europes worst performing economy's which either way hits everyone including football clubs and if no major clubs like United Barca and co do not show an interest in Moutinho then you wont get your asking price thats for sure.

It might be that your club has problems behind closed doors that you and the rest of its supporters dont know about and if your club has a replacement in line from your youth system you never know. If we could get him for that kind of money i would love it to happen if not we should look elsewhere.