IGNORED

Moutinho

Also in todays Sun:

David Moyes is planning a daring raid to snatch Portugal whizkid Joao Moutinho from under the noses of Manchester United and Arsenal.

The Everton chief has been alerted to the fact that Sporting Lisbon have yet to receive a firm offer for the £16million-rated star.

Now Moyes hopes to seal a quickfire deal for the 21-year-old midfielder, who has told his representatives he is keen to play in the Premier League.

Moyes is heading to the Euros to see Moutinho in the remaining group games after he shone in his nation’s opening 2-0 win over Turkey.

Liverpool are also watching the situation but if no offer comes in from United or the Gunners, Everton have every chance of landing him.

It would see him arrive on Merseyside in a similar deal to the one which brought Manuel Fernandes to Goodison.

Fernandes was loaned to the club for a year with the option of a permanent move should both parties agree.

Moyes has money to spend, without being given a definite figure, and is keen to bring in a “sexy” name to help take his fifth-placed side to the next level.

The prospect of forking out big bucks for Moutinho is no barrier as Everton’s money men know they would be sitting on a massive profit should he then attract Europe’s big guns.

Moyes is already interested in Spurs midfielder Tom Huddlestone and considering Manchester City’s Michael Johnson and USA star Michael Bradley if he misses out.

Meanwhile, Toffees striker Andy Van Der Meyde, 28, is wanted by Austrian outfit Red Bull Salzburg.

Van Der Meyde has made just 14 starts since arriving in 2005 because of injuries and personal problems.

It would be great to sign him up..

but why on loan?? :angry: All it will do if he plays well will attract the big clubs and we'll loose out on him

That's the whole point though. The bigger clubs aren't willing to take a chance on him yet so his agent wants to put him in the shop window.

It's nice to see us competing with Man Utd and Arsenal for the signatures of these big name players but realistically this has got two hopes of coming off... and one of them's Bob!

Smacks of the usual, annual press release from the club that happens a few weeks into the window when it's all quiet. Release us looking for a big name and it'll push the season ticket sales on a bit and raise the optimism amongst the fans.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I've seen it far too many times to raise my hopes up.

As stated in an earlier post, it's great to be linked with these players rather than bog trotters like Savage, but realistically this won't come off.

A 12 month loan deal, whereby if he plays well his agent sells him on would do me fine, I'd have no problems with that at all (you're only as good as your last season) but the club can't even afford the wages of these players, let alone any fees.

I fear this is yet another smoke screen.

It's nice to see us competing with Man Utd and Arsenal for the signatures of these big name players but realistically this has got two hopes of coming off... and one of them's Bob!

Smacks of the usual, annual press release from the club that happens a few weeks into the window when it's all quiet. Release us looking for a big name and it'll push the season ticket sales on a bit and raise the optimism amongst the fans.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I've seen it far too many times to raise my hopes up.

As stated in an earlier post, it's great to be linked with these players rather than bog trotters like Savage, but realistically this won't come off.

A 12 month loan deal, whereby if he plays well his agent sells him on would do me fine, I'd have no problems with that at all (you're only as good as your last season) but the club can't even afford the wages of these players, let alone any fees.

I fear this is yet another smoke screen.

so do i :( its happend far to many times

Moutinho and Veloso will no doubt be Chelsea-bound now Big Phil has been confirmed their new manager!

I doubt it.. according to the BBC website Big Phill wants to bring Kaka and Deco into the midfeild and with Lampard, Essien, Cole and Ballack i doubt theyll be any room for them.

I'm thoroughly depressed by our presence in the transfer market. it looks like the hot purchases are all going elsewhere<_<

I thoroughly agree with this. it makes me a bit nervous. Although, I trust moyesy to makes the right decisions with the "relatively" small budget we have (we must remember, in terms of transfers, that managers are prob waiting for the euro's to finish). However, when i see that Man City are going for £20mil players (Eg: Jo), and we're debating about 5milioners, it still worries me slightly. Forget about the top4, if we can't compete with the teams around us like city,b'burn,villa etc, then we have no chance. I know we're not a rich club but we have a good base, which we need to add to (not replace). When i hear us linked with the likes of Fernandes (on a permanent), moutinho, etc, this is the way to go, (even if it costs a little bit).

We must remember, we've set the standard outside the top four. We CANNOT let ourselves slip behind the pack. Therefore, we need to keep our quality (eg. Arteta) and add extra QUALITY (note: quality with a capital Q.U.A.L.I.T.Y). Sorry to say it but expectations are higher than ever now.

Edited by wallwriter

• 1 month later...