IGNORED

Stoke (Home)

adamsmith69

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this going to be pretty, we should win this one but I think it will be tighter than some seem to be suggesting, one goal in it to our favour.

Wasn't too far wrong really, from what I saw they set themselves up in two lines of four and sat waiting for us, we seemed to lack ideas as to how to break them down. A bit mystified by the subs at the end, left us with even less chance to get a decent ball into the box.

How many times will TC get two chances like he did and not score either of them? I'd say probably never, and normally they'd both have gone in.

Quite right, most unlike him but it seemed right from the start that it was going to be one of those days (and if he had converted one of them I would have been spot on!)

I really have no idea how Moyes can say he's happy with that performance today; was he watching the same side lack any ideas when in posession? We badly missed Arteta/Pienaar today because we kept getting to the edge of their box and then not knowing what the fuck to do with the ball, and invariably took one too many touches and lost the ball. That's when we could actually manage to hold onto the ball for more than two seconds :angry:. We just loped around the pitch for the most of the match like it didn't matter and then we sparked into life once they scored, but we returned to playing with no urgency once we got the equaliser - hello, pass the ball forwards! Our movement off the ball leaves a lot to be desired as well; mainly because it's non-existent so whoever has the ball has to resort to hoofing the ball upfield and then the ball just comes straight back at us. Very frustrating game.

Howard - I thought he did well today by coming for as many high balls as he possibly could.

Hibbert - Is he on performance enhancing drugs? :lol: . I very nearly gave him MOTM again today because I thought he was really good. He got caught up the pitch a couple of times but he was mostly a rock for us today.

Heitinga - Looked far more accomplished at CB and had a very good game for us. He mopped up for Hibbert when he got caught upfield, brought the ball out of defence numerous times, and even though they're a physical side he gave as good as he got. My MOTM.

Distin - Mostly solid with a few iffy moments, but he tended to clean up any mistakes he made.

Baines - Looked good going forward but I was having kittens every time the ball went near him when they were attacking :unsure: .

Osman - How the hell can he be so crap and mess up the simple things and then hit a peach of goal like that? He's such a frustrating player for me.

Cahill - Broke up play a few times and missed two absolute sitters. That's all that comes to mind.

Fellaini - If I could I would actually strangle him after that game. What is his obsession with passing bloody backwards? ARGH. I lost count of the amount of times he should have turned with the ball but instead slowed the play right down by making a backwards pass.

Rodwell - Our senior players were relying on this boy to run the midfield today which is a bit pathetic and far too much to put on him at this stage. He did play OK and his passing was brilliant as ever, but he drifted in and out of the match. I think those two Sigma goals have gone to his head a bit because now he's shooting from range a little too often.

Bily - Not a good game from Bily today and he was another player who annoyed the crap out of me with his backward passing. He should have been taking men on but instead he looked frightened to and was always looking to pass the ball backwards to give someone else the responsiblity. And he's still playing at far too slow a pace, he needs to speed things up a lot. He looked like he had no idea what his role was in the side tbh.

Saha - I don't know about anyone else but I thought he was disappointing today. He seemed knackered and he didn't even play mid-week! To me anyway, he looked like he couldn't be arsed.

For me negative tactics cost us two points. Stoke, at Home...1 striker up front?? fuckin hell...why? you're already chasing the fucking game, it infuriates me. Even if we start with two strikers, they score one each before the half (optimistic i know but no impossible) then we can shup up shop later on, give the yak a run near the end and pack the midfield. Even Stoke played with two strikers and they'd been happy from the off with a draw.

After 20 mins Saha gave up, he was callin and making runs yet nothing was happening for him, felt abit sorry. On many occasions Saha had to come out wide to support Bily, that didnt make sense? you're our only threat up front yet you're not in the box!?

Cahill ran his ass off but all nearer the half way line...which again is stupid when we have (in theory) two defensive mids!?

Johnny H was mint today, he seemed one of only 1, who had any imputous to go forward! I would have started with Jo and Saha, dropped Fellaini to the bench (Moyes admits he's playing through the old favourite 'pain barrier', so give him a bloody rest and use him as an impact sub), diamond formation in midfield with Jack siting back and Cahill in front. Ossie on the Right and Bily on the Left.

Bily over hit alot today but if we'd have had someone there, a 2nd striker anyone, maybe he would have found someone?

Corners still infuriate me...why put EVERYONE in the box, more bloody chances of deflections etc. Do a villa, stick two men on the half way line on either side, automaticaly drops three men out of the box, leave your big-men in and your speedier players out. Any dropped/2nd balls can be picked up and distributed asap, instead of this walking out of the box jobby we've inherited, and any breaks result in teh player being smothered by three opposition!

Stoke were crap, lets not polish a turd..they had no guil, no speed, crap passing, poor strikers (sorry Beats lol) and their defence could have been worked a million times harder. We should be bloody winning those games, making up an impressive goal difference so grinding draws...that isnt going to get anywhere. T

ake Stoke as the example, at home were beating bigger boys and drawing (if not beating) the top 4. thats what we should be doing, any draws against the big boys away are bonus'. Negativity around home games is getting to me a little bit, especially against a non-special team like Stoke. If it happens again against Wolves in a couple of weeks, i'll fuckin pop :P

Make our lady a fortress, smother teams, kill them off, put the shits up them...none of this sitting back, defend and hope we score from set-pieces. I want more goals like Ossies from open play. Think Portsmouth two seasons ago, beautiful, one touch, free-flowing footbal. Good to watch but celebrating a top result. I can't wait for Arteta to come back, i think he's the missing piece that unlocks defenses and finds runs. Lets play a 4-5-1 away to the big-boys and a 4-4-2 at home or away to 'smaller' teams.

We've got a bloody good strike force now, Yakubu, Saha, Jo...all very good strikers...why play just the one a game for 70 mins...get two on who will win us the game and the later to see it out and run the bastards ragged!

At the end of the day moyes was the problem not the players, his tactics are a fucking joke. why play 1 up front at home against a team that come up last year :blink: Attack is the best form of defense, dont think moyes has ever heard that one though <_<

Edited by Blue4Ever

can't believe nobody has mentioned the substituions from the match yesterday.they were awful! osman and billy had just started gettin into the game and moyes decides to take them off and put 3 strikers on, effectively playing into stokes hands. after this we had no width or creativety in midfield and resorted to lumping the ball upfield which the 6ft 5 stoke defenders could have dealt with all day. on top od that the three strikers didn't once close down or cause any problems for the stoke lads when they were on the back foot.

moyes should have taken rodwell off (who had a terrible 2nd half,the worst ive seen him play) and dropped felli deeper to put the yak alongside saha, at least then we still would have had width to supply the two upfront!

We have absolutely no creativity on the pitch now. Not too sure about those subs from Moyes.

can't believe nobody has mentioned the substituions from the match yesterday.they were awful! osman and billy had just started gettin into the game and moyes decides to take them off and put 3 strikers on, effectively playing into stokes hands. after this we had no width or creativety in midfield and resorted to lumping the ball upfield which the 6ft 5 stoke defenders could have dealt with all day. on top od that the three strikers didn't once close down or cause any problems for the stoke lads when they were on the back foot.

moyes should have taken rodwell off (who had a terrible 2nd half,the worst ive seen him play) and dropped felli deeper to put the yak alongside saha, at least then we still would have had width to supply the two upfront!

I think it was va good call except I would probably have takenRodders off instead of Osman

In short, need Arteta back. He will bring out the best and develop Rodwell, he will stop Fellaini admiring his own Ray Wilkins esque horzontal style passing, and he will give Saha the basis to make intelligent runs that may get picked out.

Out of all the comments on the game this one sticks out, this couldn't be more true.

Our problem with not playing 2 strikers from the start is there is no one in midfield to control play; Fellaini cannot impose himself enough on a whole game, Rodwell is very defensive (and good at it), Cahill is not creative, Osman just seems to be outplayed a lot this season and Bily is a winger.

can't believe nobody has mentioned the substituions from the match yesterday.they were awful!

DM admits it was a mistake...

...the manager also admitted he'd taken a gamble in throwing on Yakubu and Jo in search of a winning goal.

"I don't think (my decision) helped us. I think it was a poor decision by me, we lost our shape. You always look at yourself first and I didn't think today that worked."

...the manager also admitted he'd taken a gamble in throwing on Yakubu and Jo in search of a winning goal.

"I don't think (my decision) helped us. I think it was a poor decision by me, we lost our shape. You always look at yourself first and I didn't think today that worked."

Moyes' got guts. Nobody's perfect and lets not forget 5 wins in 5 games.

i take my hat off the to the man, not many managers will admit to their own mistakes but moyes has stood up and done just that. altough osman and billy didnt play great they are always likely to pop up with something (like the goal) at the moment i don't think yak and jo are looking up to the pace