IGNORED

Europa League Last Eight

So I'm bored.

Looking at the last 32 games after the first leg I think these are the teams that will progress....then I've put in bold the ones I think will make the last eight (although I wouldn't be overly confident about beating Galatasaray). A very strong line-up. Guess on the face of it the best draw at that stage would be Rubin Kazan, but it's quite a trip.

Benfica v Marseilles

Hamburg v Anderlecht

Galatasaray v Everton

Roma v Standard Liege

Lille v Liverpool

Rubin Kazan v Wolfsburg

Juventus v Shakhtar

Valencia v Werder Bremen

Hm here's how I see it based on yesterday's games:

Benfica v Marseille

Hamburg v Anderlecht

Galatasaray v Everton

AS Roma v Standard Liege

Lille v liverpool

Rubin Kazan v Wolfsburg

Juventus v Shakhtar

Club Bruges v Werder Bremen

With Lille having a more than decent chance of beating liverpool. And really hoping Everton gets a Belgian team, I'm definitely there.

Hm here's how I see it based on yesterday's games:

Benfica v Marseille

Hamburg v Anderlecht

Galatasaray v Everton

AS Roma v Standard Liege

Lille v liverpool

Rubin Kazan v Wolfsburg

Juventus v Shakhtar

Club Bruges v Werder Bremen

With Lille having a more than decent chance of beating liverpool. And really hoping Everton gets a Belgian team, I'm definitely there.

Benfica - no doubt. they will be in the final unless the shoot themselves in the foot.

Anderlecht... not sure on this one, didnt see any of their other games, same for Hamburg

Everton - As long as we go out with the mentality that were going to wipe the floor with them and not just sit around, we should walk it. Neill can play for them right?

Standard... i dont want any italian teams going through because theyre all a bunch of diving fairies and it makes me sick when they win anything. I know this one isnt objective but i dont care.

Liverpool - i maybe being rather hopeful here, but im not sure Liverpool will get through. They were rubbish against the romanians last night and now have to go play away and some dodgy field in the middle of nowhere... All there "superstars" will not like the conditions and I imagine the home crowd will be very intimidating. If they do, Lille may give them a bit of a game but otherwise cant see them knockin the Shite out.

Wolfsburg - clearcut.

Shakhtar- like the previous rant about the cheating italians but also, i saw the Juve game against Genoa and they only won that through diving and crying. that will all depend on the referee judging a football game or a soap opera.

Weder Bremen for me, stronger team.

Edited by galacticaracnid

Hamburg v Anderlecht ... They've destroyed Athletic Bilbao yesterday and have been impressive all year. (plus I like them ).

Rubin Kazan v Wolfsburg ... Dzeko en Grafite are too much to handle.

Atlético Madrid v Sporting CP ... I don't understand how anyone could loose to Sporting :angry2: .

Benfica v Marseille ... One of the best teams.

Panathinaikos v Standard ... Standard is going to run out of luck soon.

Lille v Liverpool ... Hope to God I'm wrong.

Juventus v Fulham ... Easiest pick IMO.

Valencia v Werder Bremen ... To me, Valencia is the outspoken favorite to win it all.

Some really good teams still in it. I quite like the Europa League.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite an enjoyable night in the Europa League. Liverpool looses (Hazard scores!), Standard beat a bunch of greeks, Fulham still with a good chance of beating some Italian side, Valencia on their way out (dislike the team because they play in one of the ugliest city in Europe) ...

Can't believe what kind of field Wolfsburg had to play on against Rubin Kazan. Unacceptable in the late stages of a major tournament.

Wouldn't mind the same scorelines next week.

Edited by holystove

Benfica in trouble....French teams performing well. Lyon yesterday, Marseilles and Lille tonight.

Sporting finish with nine men but still get a draw in Madrid...what a missed opportunity for us :( . Fulham put us to shame with their performance at Juve....lost 3-1 but at least they had a go (and they're not out of it).

My money's on Hamburg :) .

My money's on Hamburg :) .

Would probably be the smart bet but I still have faith that there will be two Belgian teams in the quarterfinals. Hamburg's defense looked shaky. If you can beat Bilbao 4-0 at home, beating Hamburg 2-0 should be possible.

Standard lost Defour to injury, sex weeks out probably. He's looking like an injury prone player .. maybe I shouldn't be hoping for Everton to buy him after all.

Incredible performance by Fulham at the mo.

They concede after two minutes to go 4-1 down overall....they equalize, Cannavaro gets sent off, and now with more than half an hour left they've got it back to 4-4 :o . Quite a night at The Cottage.

Edit: They win 5-4 after a goal five minutes from the end. That's a comeback up there with the ones 'Boro pulled out a while back. Great night for them.

Incredible performance by Fulham at the mo.

They concede after two minutes to go 4-1 down overall....they equalize, Cannavaro gets sent off, and now with more than half an hour left they've got it back to 4-4 :o . Quite a night at The Cottage.

Edit: They win 5-4 after a goal five minutes from the end. That's a comeback up there with the ones 'Boro pulled out a while back. Great night for them.

Idd .. truly impressive ..

Sporting Lisbon look to be on their way out .. I have a feeling we could have taken Madrid without too much effort <_< .

Standard are through, if they meet Liverpool (who lead against Lille) Liverpool will get to see what they bought in Jovanovic (who was at a time linked with Everton).

Anderlecht on their way out .. They came really really close though (should have scored the 3-1 and the 5-2).

Edited by holystove

draw just finished:

Fulham vs Wolfsburg

Hamburg vs Standard

Valencia vs Athletico

Benfica vs Liverpool

Discuss!

(personal note, i hope to God Liverpool get beat more so that usual...)

Semi's

Valencia/Atletico Madrid v Benfica/Liverpool

Hamburg/Standard Liege v Fulham/Wolfsburg

Edited by galacticaracnid

Still think Hamburg will win it....they've got (apologies to our Belgian members) a relatively easy route to the final. Having said that if Standard could beat them then they've got a very good chance of making it through.

Liverpool beating Benfica doesn't bear thinking about....but it'll probably happen :( .

Still think Hamburg will win it....they've got (apologies to our Belgian members) a relatively easy route to the final. Having said that if Standard could beat them then they've got a very good chance of making it through.

You're right .. Anderlecht should have taken care of them, but didn't. Standard without Defour doesn't stand much of a chance. Then again I thought the same about Standard-Panathinaikos.

Personally I think Valencia is going to win it all.

Benfica v Liverpool is the definitely the most intriguing matchup. Go Benfica.

Standard without Defour doesn't stand much of a chance.

The only time Standard don't stand a chance is when Dieumerci Mbokani can't play. He's gonna give Mathijssen and Rozehnal (they suck) a torrid time. Who fookin needs Ruud Van Nistelrooy when you've got God himself in the team :D

SL Benfica successfully defended the Portuguese League Cup thanks to a 3-0 defeat of FC Porto in the showpiece match in Faro.

The Liga leaders and UEFA Europa League quarter-finalists fully deserved their win after dominating the encounter at the Estádio Algarve and demonstrating clinical efficiency in front of goal. That was in evidence after only nine minutes when Jorge Jesus's team opened the scoring, Porto goalkeeper Nuno failing to keep out Ruben Amorim's low shot.

That sparked a determined response from their opponents, but Benfica proved adept at withholding space and doubled their lead just before the break when Carlos Martins struck with an exquisite free-kick from distance. Porto's belief seemed to evaporate after the restart and the Eagles made sure of the silverware in added time through Óscar Cardozo, following good work from Ruben Amorim.

source: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=por/news/newsid=1466727.html

First silverware of the season, hopefully we will add the champion title and europa league to that one.

Video of the celebrations http://videos.sapo.pt/d6zEDAFGiQ8O2FZNsZvB

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool looses, Valencia with a bad result for them and Fulham wins. Not at all a bad evening.

Standard were "Martin Atkinson"-ed .. Didn't get an obvious penalty, lost 2-1.

For the next round I'd still say Liverpool, Valencia, Wolfsburg and Hamburg will go through.

• 4 weeks later...

What a result by Fulham .. if they can do it, so can we.

And Liverpool loosing is just the icing on the cake.

losing to a goal in extra time scored by an ex-Utd player.... icing and cherries galore!

I agree, no reason why we cant do it next year, injuries and stupid tactical decisions permitting!

Fulham doing what they've done just shows how important having a manager who has European experience is. Hodgson has taken a group of pretty crap players to a European final, and they've beat quality along the way. We have better players but our manager, and players, choked against quality. I hope Moyes and the players have learnt from this season because we could do very well in the future.

I hope Fulham go on to win it, they'd certainly deserve it.

Edited by Romey 1878

I actually wasnt aware that away goals counted in extra time........ Must admit....think its a little unfair... Athletico had 120 mins to score an away goal.... However its the shite so I wont moan to much......

L,Pool had 120 mins home advantage, swings and roundabouts. ;)

I actually wasnt aware that away goals counted in extra time........ Must admit....think its a little unfair... Athletico had 120 mins to score an away goal.... However its the shite so I wont moan to much......

Liverpool had 90 mins to do the same. On top of that, like Bill says, they had an extra 30 mins of home advantage to do the job. They didnt so they deserved to lose!