IGNORED

Jan Vertonghen

Don't really know about this one. His best position (imo) is defensive midfield, which we have pretty much covered with Rodwell, Fellaini and Arteta. He could be used as a CB (where he plays now with Ajax) but I'd prefer the Heitinga-Jagielka pair. So if Moyes does buy him it would just be an expensive player on the bench.

He won't be cheap because he is a good player and a very important one to Ajax. Don't see this happening.

Don't really know about this one. His best position (imo) is defensive midfield, which we have pretty much covered with Rodwell, Fellaini and Arteta. He could be used as a CB (where he plays now with Ajax) but I'd prefer the Heitinga-Jagielka pair. So if Moyes does buy him it would just be an expensive player on the bench.

He won't be cheap because he is a good player and a very important one to Ajax. Don't see this happening.

Dont forget Felli probably wont be fit by the start of the season and once he has at least one complication we might not see him much before crimbo!

If we had to flog Distin and Yobo to get him in then I wouldnt be too adverse to the idea as we will then at least have some quality cover, especially with Duffy coming through as well. From what I have heard he is another ball playing CB which considering the hoof curse we have at the moment I certainly wouldnt be against that type of player coming to the club.

Plus if he is left footed he might be able to do a job at LB to cover Baines?

I dont see it happening as others have said but if we want to step up then we need quality and with ex-ajax players and Felli as a fellow Belgian I dont think he would be too against joining the club.

Plus if he is left footed he might be able to do a job at LB to cover Baines?

I dont see it happening as others have said but if we want to step up then we need quality and with ex-ajax players and Felli as a fellow Belgian I dont think he would be too against joining the club.

I don't think he can be used as cover for LB. He doesn't have a lot of pace and to me his best quality is the way he can direct a game with his passing and positioning, which wouldn't be used fully if he played LB.

Come to think of it, it is interesting that Dick Advocaat has started Vertonghen at DM ahead of Fellaini for the Belgian team so far.

Everyone said the same about the Heitinga rumour initially....but it happened :) .

Understand that Mike, the only difference being though: that Heitinga was struggling, in a (at the time) struggling Athletico team and was probably more vunerable to a sale. Vertonghen on the other hand, is young, in a good team (doing quite well) and playing very well with massive potential, so it will be slightly harder to lure him away. There are big teams circling around him.

Stove, i didn't realise he was currently being deployed at DM, do you think he would be bought as a CB or as a DM?

Advocaat, and many others, see him as a DM primarily, but at Ajax has been center back for a long time now.

Either moyes wants to put him at Centre back (wich i would find odd, he's going to be expensive for a centre back), or else this rumour is BS.

we have invested quite some money in Fellaini and Hetiniga, who seem to be most comfortable at the DM, + we have Rodwell, a player with sort of the same profile as vertonghen, also beeing depolyed as a DM in the first place. what are we going to do with all those expensive DM's?

Stove, i didn't realise he was currently being deployed at DM, do you think he would be bought as a CB or as a DM?

What Churinga said :).

I agree with everything he said in his post. Don't see it happening and although Vertonghen is a very good player, the added value for Everton is very slim in relation to the the cost of the player.

Advocaat, and many others, see him as a DM primarily, but at Ajax has been center back for a long time now.

Either moyes wants to put him at Centre back (wich i would find odd, he's going to be expensive for a centre back), or else this rumour is BS.

we have invested quite some money in Fellaini and Hetiniga, who seem to be most comfortable at the DM, + we have Rodwell, a player with sort of the same profile as vertonghen, also beeing depolyed as a DM in the first place. what are we going to do with all those expensive DM's?

heitinga is definitely more comfortable at centre half

centre half is a synonym for centre back?? ha, good to know, not really logical if you ask me. :lol:

It's from the old fashioned positions of my youth...two full-backs, three half-backs and five forwards.

1- Goalkeeper

2- Right (full) back.

3- Left (full) back.

4- Right half (back).

5- Centre half (back).

6- Left half (back).

7- Outside right (right wing).

8- Inside right.

9- Centre forward.

10- Inside left.

11- Outside left (left wing)

I haven't read any indication of a price in any of the above mentioned articles. If Arsenal had to pay Ajax £10m for Vermaelen, I assume Vertonghen would cost somewhere around £7-9m. To me that's further indication that he won't play at Everton next season. I'd rather spend that on a player that plays a position where we actually definitively need someone, i.e. winger (Donovan).

I haven't read any indication of a price in any of the above mentioned articles. If Arsenal had to pay Ajax £10m for Vermaelen, I assume Vertonghen would cost somewhere around £7-9m. To me that's further indication that he won't play at Everton next season. I'd rather spend that on a player that plays a position where we actually definitively need someone, i.e. winger (Donovan).

+1

It's from the old fashioned positions of my youth...two full-backs, three half-backs and five forwards.

1- Goalkeeper

2- Right (full) back.

3- Left (full) back.

4- Right half (back).

5- Centre half (back).

6- Left half (back).

7- Outside right (right wing).

8- Inside right.

9- Centre forward.

10- Inside left.

11- Outside left (left wing)

Ok, thanks for the explanation Mike :)

• 1 month later...

ah, didnt knew that :D

But i'll think its a good defender for Everton though. He's not a beast like Jagielka or Heitinga but more a Frank de Boer type of player. Has a great pass in him, he's good with his head and he can play midfielder as well if needed.