World Cup general thread

Guest fozzie22

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasn't

spain are overrated ... best side won

my mate sed he thought spain were best 1st half and he didn't see much 2nd, but spain didn't create a single thing, in truth is could have been 5-0 because that pen was just a soft pen to give away. ifs, buts and maybes aside the best side is through ....3-1 and thats France :D

Owen Hargreaves was the best player on the pitch by a mile

Lampard and Gerrard were poor. Rooney has done nothing in this tourney. Crouch did more as a sub, that what Wayne did in the entire tourney.

Edited by xavier

it was a tough match to be a england and Everton fan the Everton half of me was happy to see rooney sent off the england part of me was gutted the Everton part of me enjoyed seeing gerrad miss the pen the england part of me was gutted by the end of the match i was totally gutted mind u at least it means no more sven yippee

We were never in the game before or after the sending off. After seeing the first twenty minutes a draw was a the best we could really aim for. Everone's saying how brilliant Hargreves was but his link up play between defence and midfield was shyte as was Gerrard and Lampards. Thats what cost us, lack of movement, an inability/lack of confidence to keep posession and poor positioning.

Portugal had two passes on most of the time in posession many times in acres of space on the wing. England players were happy to be shadowed by their marker resulting in failed 40 yard killer balls or direct punts straight back to the opposition. Our creative players bottled it for the first 60 minutes and the sending off let us slip into the comfortable backs to the wall 8 man defence we are making a new formation.

We found our level with these players, no excuses we deserved to go out. I'm glad Erickson's gone but Mclarren wont be making any wholesale changes, he picks the team now as it is.

Probly drop Cole for Downing and try to persuade Quedrue to play for England, but apart from that I agree that Mclaren will be an extension of the Eriksson era. Beckham will remain the captain and get picked every match even though his delivery is the only good part of his game too slow plays too many extravagant passes and never takes anyone on. Plus Eriksson should have sorted out the system long before the WC started not messed about with it half way through. I agree that Hargreaves had a good game today but Eriksson seemed to jig the team around to fit him in every game. Carragher in plays Hargreaves in middle takes Carragher out plays Hargreaves at right back Carrick has a good game so gets dropped so Hargreaves can go into midfield cos Neville is back. I think we had one of the best squads out there but I feel Eriksson's piss poor management has cost us any chance of being realistic challengers.

I know, ill be called biased and might get slated for this but Crouch should have started, no two ways about it. Rooney all on his own upfront was an awful decision and one which i knew wasnt going to work. When playing against 4 defenders, its almost impossible for a lone striker to get some change, unless you have fast wingers who can stretch the fullbacks. Joe Cole was always going to cut in and Beckham was invisible except for set piece situations. Should always have been a 442 or Crouch alone on his own if a 451.

How did Lampard even get picked in this one? Shocking decision.

The fact is England are just not as good as what the media seem to think. I saw no evidence during this world cup that England were a top international side. There are six top international sides, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. England are in the second division, along with teams like Portugal and Sweden. You look at their history of performance over the years and that's pretty obvious. What we have in Britain is a media that builds them up into something that they are not and people start to believe it. The teams with more reason to be gutted are Argentina and Spain because they are obvious class acts that didn't make it because it was a knock out tournament and they played two of the other top sides in Germany and France.

The FA threw 4 million at Eriksson hoping he could push England into the first division. He couldn't do it. I can't see McClaren doing it either but we'll see!

Svens never had the balls to either drop gerrard or lamps and it never worked

We should have been playing with crouch and rooney. Crouch was one of the best performers in the tournement and hes on the bench to accomadate so called big players, but thats what hes paid a fortune to do. If we had two amazing goalies, both costing 20 mil you would have to play one and drop one. Thats the situation with lamps and stevie G, you can only play one

Hopefully we will see a new era and Mclaren will be his own man

I know, ill be called biased and might get slated for this but Crouch should have started, no two ways about it. Rooney all on his own upfront was an awful decision and one which i knew wasnt going to work. When playing against 4 defenders, its almost impossible for a lone striker to get some change, unless you have fast wingers who can stretch the fullbacks. Joe Cole was always going to cut in and Beckham was invisible except for set piece situations. Should always have been a 442 or Crouch alone on his own if a 451.

How did Lampard even get picked in this one? Shocking decision.

35021[/snapback]

i agree mate we should never have played with just one striker its pure madness how sven thought we could up against the best players in the world with just one striker playing and win is beyond me