IGNORED

Bolton (Home)

Matt

When are we going to start varying our play? We always look to go down the wing. I

I agree, and this is exactly what I was saying at the start of the season. I think there's been some improvement since then to be honest, but it is still a weakness. Of course you need to get it wide sometimes and try and stretch teams, but with us it often seems to be the only plan. When Yak was in the team I think there was more variation as he is good at receiving the ball with his back to goal and either laying it off or turning.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he had been showing any signs of tiring then I would agree but Felli is a big threat in an attacking sense so if we are chasing the gane just redeploy him dont take him off. It makes no sense to take off your best player

I honestly dont think it made a blind bit of difference to Colemans game because we were pushing forward so much anyway

i think it did..cos of coleman we got pinned back for a good 2 mins when he gave a free kick away with a daft handball cos he looks nervous as hell at the back..yeah we got the equaliser but the lad is not a right back for me not even for 15 minutes! as for felli ok he may not have looked that tired but i still dont like the idea of lumpin players straight back in for a whole match especially such a physical one

Cheers for that Mike.

What a finish that was by Beckford! I was very sceptical about the signing of Beckford, still am tbh, but that showed he's willing to have a go from anywhere and not try another pass like Saha, and to a lesser extent Yakubu. All Beckford cares about is his scoring, he's selfish and if he's near the goal he's gonna have a pop. Saha's selfishness pisses me off because he tries to do everything on his own and doesn't pass, or he'll shoot when he literally has no chance of scoring even when there's a player in a position where he could score. At least Beckford's selfishness is always in and around the box.

One thing though, Beckford has to have a partner, I don't think he can play on his own, so unless Moyes changes his whole thinking I don't see how Beckford is ever going get us the goals we need.

From reading posts on here and on other forums this morning it seems its the same old fucking story for us. Dominate the game, have a defensive howler, plenty of pretty football but it's far too slow (with Arteta once again at the heart of the slowness) and predictable and when we do manage to create a chance they fuck it up.

When are we going to start varying our play? We always look to go down the wing. Is this because Arteta is only interested in passing off the responsibility to another player? He's in the centre of the field and I would love to see us cut through the middle of the opposition for a change, instead of this namby pamby shite Arteta is serving up week in week out. What's he so afraid of?

We desperately need some pace in our attack. I don't even mean fast players (but that's a problem in itself for us). We need to play the ball with pace. Right now we're making 5 passes when only 2 are needed. That gives the opposition time to organise themselves, get every one back behind the ball. We've looked our most threatening when we've played quick, one or two touch football.

I wasn't even at the game last night and I'm annoyed that we're not learning from our mistakes like I was there.

Also, anyone got a clip of Beckford's goal?

Totally agree. While I do really enjoy watching us pass the ball around and dominate possession (67 per cent last night, I think?) we've gone too far that way. The secret of a team like Barcelona or Arsenal who play that style of football is they pass it around for five minutes and then someone spots an opening and bang, they change the pace in an instant and carve teams open. We don't have that, what's worrying is probably our two most threatening players (bar Pienaar, who I thought was superb last night and is going to leave a huge hole if/when he goes) are full backs, one because of his link up play and superb delivery, the other because of raw pace and willingness to run at defenders. With a midfield of Bily, Arteta, Felli and Pienaar as it was last night, its all nice tappy-tappy passing, but no ability to step up a gear, find that incisive pass. We NEED balance, atm we NEED Coleman on the right just to provide an outlet, and imo we NEED to play Yak and Beckford up top instead of Cahill and Saha because it's just a far more balanced partnership, someone who can play with his back to goal and has superb close control and vision with someone who is all pace, running off the shoulder and always sniffing in and around the box.

Oh, and for the record Arteta was dog shit last night. We might look more of a threat if our supposedly most creative player steps up to the plate occasionally, he's been very poor this season - maybe too much post-marital bliss?! Whatever, the fact that he finally handed over corner responsibility to Baines last night after a series of absolutely woeful dead balls says it all, he's bang off his game and we need him to find his touch sooner rather than later. When's Osman back? Maybe a case for dropping Arteta and playing Ossie and Rodwell in the centre?

From reading posts on here and on other forums this morning it seems its the same old fucking story for us. Dominate the game, have a defensive howler, plenty of pretty football but it's far too slow (with Arteta once again at the heart of the slowness) and predictable and when we do manage to create a chance they fuck it up.

When are we going to start varying our play? We always look to go down the wing. Is this because Arteta is only interested in passing off the responsibility to another player? He's in the centre of the field and I would love to see us cut through the middle of the opposition for a change, instead of this namby pamby shite Arteta is serving up week in week out. What's he so afraid of?

We desperately need some pace in our attack. I don't even mean fast players (but that's a problem in itself for us). We need to play the ball with pace. Right now we're making 5 passes when only 2 are needed. That gives the opposition time to organise themselves, get every one back behind the ball. We've looked our most threatening when we've played quick, one or two touch football.

I wasn't even at the game last night and I'm annoyed that we're not learning from our mistakes like I was there.

Also, anyone got a clip of Beckford's goal?

I think you are being a bit harsh on Arteta to be honest and we were varying our play quite a bit last night. Arteta, Felli and Piennar were passing thier way around the midfield quite well unfortunately there was absolutely no movement from Saha in front of them

I was listening to Graham Sharp on the radio on the way home last night and I think he hit the nail on the head when he was saying that as much as people want to have a go at Bily or say we need a RW the real problem we have is upfront.

Saha was woeful last night and its easy to see why he hasnt scored since February. The Yak played well against The Shite and to a lesser extent against Stoke but was back to his frustrating self against Blackpool and Beckford just isnt ready yet

Totally agree. While I do really enjoy watching us pass the ball around and dominate possession (67 per cent last night, I think?) we've gone too far that way. The secret of a team like Barcelona or Arsenal who play that style of football is they pass it around for five minutes and then someone spots an opening and bang, they change the pace in an instant and carve teams open. We don't have that, what's worrying is probably our two most threatening players (bar Pienaar, who I thought was superb last night and is going to leave a huge hole if/when he goes) are full backs, one because of his link up play and superb delivery, the other because of raw pace and willingness to run at defenders. With a midfield of Bily, Arteta, Felli and Pienaar as it was last night, its all nice tappy-tappy passing, but no ability to step up a gear, find that incisive pass. We NEED balance, atm we NEED Coleman on the right just to provide an outlet, and imo we NEED to play Yak and Beckford up top instead of Cahill and Saha because it's just a far more balanced partnership, someone who can play with his back to goal and has superb close control and vision with someone who is all pace, running off the shoulder and always sniffing in and around the box.

Oh, and for the record Arteta was dog shit last night. We might look more of a threat if our supposedly most creative player steps up to the plate occasionally, he's been very poor this season - maybe too much post-marital bliss?! Whatever, the fact that he finally handed over corner responsibility to Baines last night after a series of absolutely woeful dead balls says it all, he's bang off his game and we need him to find his touch sooner rather than later. When's Osman back? Maybe a case for dropping Arteta and playing Ossie and Rodwell in the centre?

we need to take out a 5 goal player for 2 that have scored 1 each?

Yes romey, you nailed it again. Thats exactly a huge problem on our attacking game. When we have a chance to hit fast and simple, we slow down and pass diagonally on the pitch when fast direct pass in front would be easy and dangerous for opponents. Then enemies gather all on defense and are ready when we try to hit our head on the wall.

Just glad Distin didnt make a mistake like that or he would have been slaughtered

Couldnt agree more! Same thing applies to handful of players at the moment. Distin was brilliant again today he looks very confident and I give him huge respect for coming into the form he has now after that terrible performance against Man Utd. A lot of players cave in and let it affect them but he has come out and proved me among other wrong. His biggest test however will come against Arsenal at the weekend, especially if they have RVP back.

Last night was very frustrating. We were all over them for pretty much the whole game yet we concede a sloppy goal and it takes a moment of magic from Beckford to get something from a game we should have one in the 1st half.

The back 4 (and Howard) were solid bar Jags stupid mistake.

Felli was outstanding, doing exactly what we need from a DM which is breaking up play and then laying off simply passes to our more 'creative' players and then moving back into space to receive a pass. Cant believe the stupidity at the end though, it completely undoes all the good work from him.

Pienaar was very busy and played well, especially with Baines and we will miss that connection if Pienaar does go.

Bily was average, did some nice stuff, did more sloppy stuff. He actually took some great positions its just no-one picked him out with a ball. I can recount one chance were Saha decided to shoot with his wrong foot from a poor angle rather than square it for Bily on the penalty spot in space. Coleman gave us drive when he came on and is probably the opposite of Bily in terms of directness. We need to get whoever plays Rm to get more involved. Its not just bily, but pienaar when he was there struggled, donovan at times wasnt involved in games and its only really Vic that has done something consistently.

Arteta was poor. Should be benched imo, let someone else have a go. Its a shame Osman isnt fit. We need someone to get the ball forward and whilst the forwards are partly to blame, he is there to be our catalyst and he isnt really doing much. In fact we had more incisiveness from Fellaini, especially when Pienaar was roaming.

Cahill & Saha were disappointing, they werent bad, they could have done much more. We dominated possession and they didnt really carve out too many opportunities, even threatening positions. Id rather we have Yakubu playing tbh and I hope he starts against Arsenal.

The strike from Beckford was simply excuisite. If we were drawing/losing I would stick him on with 20-30 mins left and let him drift wherever. We have played him off the right a couple of times late in games and thats not fair on him. He scores goals, just give him the license to get involved where he can around the box and he will score.

I cant really knock Moyes subs on this occasion but I can question his starting tactics. I feel sorry for Yakubu being dropped despite being a central figure in the way we have played. We are getting to the stage now where Cahill's 'role' against weaker sides will have to come into question. He would be the first name on the team sheet against Arsenal, but against a big bolton side I would have been more tempted to bring in another striker or someone more capable of breaking down a defence.

we need to take out a 5 goal player for 2 that have scored 1 each?

Cahill is both a blessing and a problem. He's neither a well-rounded central midfield player who can match up to our neat passing game nowadays nor a proper striker (his hold up play isn't great, he's very unlikely to beat a defender for pace, shooting isnt perfect etc). His gifts are tenacity and being exceptionally good in the air. To me he is the reason we go into games against the likes of Bolton at home playing 4-5-1. Away from home or against teams that attack us a bit more, he's fantastic because you want him to be on the end of a cross following a quick counter more than anyone else. But on Wednesday Cahill and Knight had him in his pocket, they sat deep, marshalled all his runs and didnt give him any space, meaning he was pretty ineffectual. Maybe I was a bit OTT suggesting Beckford and Yak should get in every time ahead of him, and yeah his goals have been priceless this season, but i think we rely too much on him in an attacking sense, it doesn't work in all circumstances, and i'd like to see Moyes at least consider two proper strikers up top from time to time

Cahill is both a blessing and a problem. He's neither a well-rounded central midfield player who can match up to our neat passing game nowadays nor a proper striker (his hold up play isn't great, he's very unlikely to beat a defender for pace, shooting isnt perfect etc). His gifts are tenacity and being exceptionally good in the air. To me he is the reason we go into games against the likes of Bolton at home playing 4-5-1. Away from home or against teams that attack us a bit more, he's fantastic because you want him to be on the end of a cross following a quick counter more than anyone else. But on Wednesday Cahill and Knight had him in his pocket, they sat deep, marshalled all his runs and didnt give him any space, meaning he was pretty ineffectual. Maybe I was a bit OTT suggesting Beckford and Yak should get in every time ahead of him, and yeah his goals have been priceless this season, but i think we rely too much on him in an attacking sense, it doesn't work in all circumstances, and i'd like to see Moyes at least consider two proper strikers up top from time to time

couldn't agree more that we should change it about a bit and not lump it to him when it isn't workin(winds me up even if it works to be honest). i just thought it was a bit daft sayin stick them in ahead of him every time...i've said on another thread that bily should be an option there when it isn't working as he is more of a footballer

Absolutely spot on. Against Arsenal today he was brilliant because they gave him that space and he hassled them into mistakes but that doesnt mean he should start against Bolton and other teams looking for a point.