IGNORED

Strikers

jcrawfor

With Beckford looking more and more like a gem of a free signing and Yakubu seemingly getting back (or close) to his best (albeit very slowly, I have faith he will) our striking options are looking to get better over the season. However, we have this third striker in whom our manager has the greatest confidence in spite of the clear evidence that calling him shit would be a compliment; if a buyer can be found, even for 2 mil, he ought to be sold asap.

As I see it we have two strikers, who for the rest of this season, will be best deployed as game changing subs. I am not convinced that either have the ability (for yak it's fitness and becks still needs more time) to have an impact for the whole match. I'd love to be proved wrong and see them play together against WBA, I think we might see that the strength of Yak and the flighty finesse of Beckford may be the best pairing we've had in a while. But, in January the one buy (okay, I'll not wish for too much: loan) we need to make is a top-flight striker who can play the full 90 up top alone. Yak hasn't got the fitness to do that, nor has Beckford the match experience. I haven't a clue who is available for loan/cheap buy, but then, I'm not paid to do that (nor do I play footie manager).

I dont think Yakubu does have fitness problems and could probably quite play 90 mins comfortably. Even if he isnt quite there he would only need a couple of games to get there. At the end of the day he is a striker and doesnt really need to be busting his gut (so to speak) over the whole game (which he doesnt!).

I do agree that we need a striker but I dont see the point wasting the talents of Yakubu leaving him on the bench for 70mins. I wouldnt mind moving Saha on but Im not sure how much we would get and therefore how much we could afford.

If im totally honest I dont know who or even what type of striker would suit our style of play. We have runners, we have strength and we have players with proven goal scoring records. We currently lack creativity which is more to do with our midfield than strikers imo. Possibly the addition of Donovan would aide this.

Of course we don't let Saha go for free, but I don't care how much we get. I'd just rather not give Moyes the option of picking him. Moyesy is an alcoholic and Saha is his booze of choice.

I don't really think we need another striker, to be honest. Would I love a true striker, sure? But we don't have the money to break the bank.

Seeing Seamus move up has really satisfied a lot of the creativity issues I've had. When he's had the opportunities, he has been the most creative guy within 20 yards of the goal.

Hoenstly? I'd rather have them step it up then find someone else.

you dont play footy manager yet you reckon we can get 2m for saha?

2m was just a number, shit, even 1m or just getting him off our wage bill would be fair for saha atm. He's utter shit. He needs gone.

Bailey, I would hope that is the case with Yak, he's yet to show that this year. I'd love to see him become the striker he once was, both in terms of fitness and goals, but I'm not sure he will. I hope I'm wrong.

As for what type of striker we should buy, the first requirement is ABSOLUTELY NO INJURY RECORD followed by Moyes' evaluation of their potential (this is the one area in which I think Moyes is unparalleled in ability) and their goal-scoring record. Donovan is a fair shout; we know he'd fit well with most of our personnel, and it would be good to see him played in an advanced role for us; as I now see Coleman as first choice RW with or without Donovan. But, if Moyes has his eye on a cut-price/out-of-favor striker from another top-flight or the championship then we ought to try for that as we are skint for both cash and goals.

Moyesy is an alcoholic and Saha is his booze of choice.

Excellent synopsis.... i think we could 4 - 5 mill for Saha sure there was a bit of £8 mill in the summer for him and most people on here wanted it rejected!

As for Coleman i thionk he still has a lot to learn and if Landon came in then he would be my first choice no Coleman.

8mill was offered the summer before last..we didn't take it and i'm glad we didn't cos he ended up scoring a lot of goals and important ones too! no one offered anythin for him in the summer

Thought it was in the January after he had scored all the goals? Thats why we were so eager to tie him down to a new contract.

With Beckford looking more and more like a gem of a free signing and Yakubu seemingly getting back (or close) to his best (albeit very slowly, I have faith he will) our striking options are looking to get better over the season. However, we have this third striker in whom our manager has the greatest confidence in spite of the clear evidence that calling him shit would be a compliment; if a buyer can be found, even for 2 mil, he ought to be sold asap.

As I see it we have two strikers, who for the rest of this season, will be best deployed as game changing subs. I am not convinced that either have the ability (for yak it's fitness and becks still needs more time) to have an impact for the whole match. I'd love to be proved wrong and see them play together against WBA, I think we might see that the strength of Yak and the flighty finesse of Beckford may be the best pairing we've had in a while. But, in January the one buy (okay, I'll not wish for too much: loan) we need to make is a top-flight striker who can play the full 90 up top alone. Yak hasn't got the fitness to do that, nor has Beckford the match experience. I haven't a clue who is available for loan/cheap buy, but then, I'm not paid to do that (nor do I play footie manager).

Since when?

One good performance, against the Shite, in nearly 3 years is hardly cause for optimism. I know you said he was getting there slowly but that is taking the piss!

I would be just as happy to see him off loaded as I would Saha. We were desperate for a striker last summer, we are still desperate for a striker now and we will more than likely still be desperate for a striker this time next year so Im afraid I dont share your optimism about our striking options improving anytime soon

Was Gueye used as a Striker in the Preseason friendlies? He's listed as a Striker/Wingers, so I'm not sure. Maybe it's time we give him the chance to play with the big boys. Is he ready? Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a chance, and he can't be worse than that lump of shit with a pulse (Louis Saha). The Yak needs to become more consistent and prove that he can be productive on a regular basis, rather than 1-2 times for every 10 appearances. I think Beckford will continue to get better, but let's face it, it's not like he's ever going to be a top-class striker. I think we need to get Donovan again on loan in order to spark some creativity in the mid field. Also, I think we need to find a cheap, short term Striker who could potentially produce for us. It doesn't have to be anyone who will be with the club for an overly long time, or someone spectacular, but someone who could score some goals for us during the second half of next season and could possibly continue with us for a little while longer. Finally, I have a question, I'm not overly familiar with the situation, but could we sell Pienaar in January? Let's face it, he will leave the club either way, and if we could make even a few million off of selling him, it would be worth it compared to an extra 5 months with us. We could really use a few million pounds for many purposes, whether it means buying a player, or paying some of the bills.

Was Gueye used as a Striker in the Preseason friendlies? He's listed as a Striker/Wingers, so I'm not sure. Maybe it's time we give him the chance to play with the big boys. Is he ready? Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a chance, and he can't be worse than that lump of shit with a pulse (Louis Saha). The Yak needs to become more consistent and prove that he can be productive on a regular basis, rather than 1-2 times for every 10 appearances. I think Beckford will continue to get better, but let's face it, it's not like he's ever going to be a top-class striker. I think we need to get Donovan again on loan in order to spark some creativity in the mid field. Also, I think we need to find a cheap, short term Striker who could potentially produce for us. It doesn't have to be anyone who will be with the club for an overly long time, or someone spectacular, but someone who could score some goals for us during the second half of next season and could possibly continue with us for a little while longer. Finally, I have a question, I'm not overly familiar with the situation, but could we sell Pienaar in January? Let's face it, he will leave the club either way, and if we could make even a few million off of selling him, it would be worth it compared to an extra 5 months with us. We could really use a few million pounds for many purposes, whether it means buying a player, or paying some of the bills.

if we start talking about who we can get by getting rid of pienaar, what would people think about a swap with spurs for either keane or kranjcar? both good players that can't seem to get a game at spurs and i'm sure they'd be happy to join a club like ours where they'd get to play more regularly and with a good group of players. i'd rather do that or sell pienaar and use whatever money we get for him plus whatever money was set aside for his improved contract and get someone like donovan

edit: also in response to bluenoseyankee's original post: adebayor will be available in january and in the current economic climate i can't exactly picture many clubs lining up to buy him. he'd be available on loan, although i'm sure his wages are astronomic. however, i'm sure city would pay for at least part of his wages (like the situation with bellamy and cardiff) just to free up roster space for their latest overpriced recruits

Edited by American Evertonian

if we start talking about who we can get by getting rid of pienaar, what would people think about a swap with spurs for either keane or kranjcar? both good players that can't seem to get a game at spurs and i'm sure they'd be happy to join a club like ours where they'd get to play more regularly and with a good group of players. i'd rather do that or sell pienaar and use whatever money we get for him plus whatever money was set aside for his improved contract and get someone like donovan

That'd be a good idea too, but the bottom line is, it would be foolish just to let Pienaar go for nothing. Let's face it, he's not coming back, and we should look to get something for him and sacrifice and extra 5 months of his play.