IGNORED

Midfield - who gets the job?

Avinalaff

Seeing as the thread started with a quote about playing like barca, I'd love to see us ACTUALLY playing like barca with a form of 4-3-3

Neville - Jagielka - Distin - Baines

Barkley - Fellaini - Arteta

Ossie - Saha - Billyaletdinov

That could cause some serious damage in my opinion.

id have felli holding, rodwell and barkley in the middle, arteta on the right and billy on the left on saturday. with saha up front.

if cahill plays, saha cant. cahill plays forward for a midfielder and saha plays deep for a striker, taking the same area up.

felli, rodwell and barkley are the future, but id go all arsene wenger and just throw them in there week in week out.

Seeing as the thread started with a quote about playing like barca, I'd love to see us ACTUALLY playing like barca with a form of 4-3-3

Neville - Jagielka - Distin - Baines

Barkley - Fellaini - Arteta

Ossie - Saha - Billyaletdinov

That could cause some serious damage in my opinion.

I like this, but id have beckford instead of saha. Bily instead of arteta and Maggie instead of bily.

Howard

Neville/Coleman - jags - distin - baines

Barkley - felli - bily

Ossie - Becks - Maggie

And sell arteta while we can get decent money allowing us to keep jags

I don't think we need worry about that. I honestly don't think we will sell anyone of importance unless felli fails to sign a new contract soon, in which case he will probably be sold in january. Besides, mikels value to the benefit of the younger squad members is worth more than his resale price at his age and with the amount of serious injuries he has suffered.

As for my squad selection, that would be my starting lineup at the moment seeing as coleman and gueye are both injured and rodwell is still struggling for form. Given the chances, billy could be deadly if we played him in a more forward role, after all, the one thing we do know for certain about him is that the boy can shoot. And from what i've seen in pre-season, a midfield three of barkley, arteta and felli could match man utd, arsenal or chelsea for skill any day of the week.

The problem with diamond formations in midfield is that they end up being too narrow and unless you have world beaters making worldly passes, the space gets too crowded out and we would probably struggle more than we already do. Not to mention it gives opposition wingers and FB's more space to break forward down the flanks. Ancellotti always used to play a diamond in midfield in Italy but quickly realised that over here it just doesnt work. The play is too quick, and players close down more aggresively.

The problem with diamond formations in midfield is that they end up being too narrow and unless you have world beaters making worldly passes, the space gets too crowded out and we would probably struggle more than we already do. Not to mention it gives opposition wingers and FB's more space to break forward down the flanks. Ancellotti always used to play a diamond in midfield in Italy but quickly realised that over here it just doesnt work. The play is too quick, and players close down more aggresively.

Diamond does not mean the attacking central midfielder is right up the arse of the forwards and certainly does not mean the defensive midfielder is swapping spit with the central defenders, rather one slightly in front of the other. Ancellotti uses a diamond because of Pirlo, Gattusso and Seedorf are not natural wingers, Milan did play narrow but move across as an efficient unit, compressing and making the opposition pass the ball to where they want the ball to go, ie to the flanks so the only ball available is a hoof down the line normally.