Baines - Defender or Winger ?

Avinalaff

-------------- Howard

Hibbert - Jags - Heitinga - Distin

----------Fellaini - Rodwell

Coleman ------------------ - Baines

-------------- Osman

---------- Vellios

Could pushing Baines into a winger role be beneficial?

Defensively he's not the best. Distin is a good Left Back, and it also solves the Jags v Heitinga problem too. It gives Heitinga the option to push up into defensive midfield to cover Rodwell breaking, and Baines doesn't have to worry about counter attacks as much. We would be able to break with much more width, and pace too. We're automatically stronger defensively, meaning Vellios could stay further up the pitch.

It could work with Drenthe or Coleman, and Osman could be swapped with a striker etc.

Normally, I feel Moyes tries to find ways of playing certain players, but this is going totally against the grain. It might sound daft, but what do the more tactical experts think? Could it work, or is losing a midfielder worse?

Which part of no do you think was the stronger point Romey? laugh.png

Baines' effectiveness is based on the winger infront of him creating space for him to work his magic. If you make him that winger it completely nullifies his play, IMO.

This being the way Baines works is why I don't think either Bily or Drenthe are good players to have playing infront of him tbh. Neither one of them creates space for Baines to work in because they're both extremely static. I was excited about Drenthe but he's been a massive let down for me.

Baines' effectiveness is based on the winger infront of him creating space for him to work his magic. If you make him that winger it completely nullifies his play, IMO.

This being the way Baines works is why I don't think either Bily or Drenthe are good players to have playing infront of him tbh. Neither one of them creates space for Baines to work in because they're both extremely static. I was excited about Drenthe but he's been a massive let down for me.

that seems a tad harsh there Rom, he has hardly played more than 1/2hr in the games he has come on in.

I originally had Drenthe in rather than Coleman, but it's Colemans position until Drenthe shows otherwise, and he's not done enough yet to make it his.

Coleman has been awful this season, I think we rushed him back from injury.

Maybe you lot are right about Drenthe but all he looks to do is give the ball back to Baines and doesn't try and go past his man.

Coleman has been awful this season, I think we rushed him back from injury.

Maybe you lot are right about Drenthe but all he looks to do is give the ball back to Baines and doesn't try and go past his man.

Thought he was very direct when he came on, couple of ventures into the box. Anyway, hes played a total of 90 mins for us, think its too soon to write him off or even form an opinion (same applies for Vellios)

Back on topic, if we are going to do that we should go 352 (been spouting this for ages). Think Mark has a good point regarding Baines on the wing though. Id like to line up:

******************Howard******************

*****Johnny *****Jags ********Distin

**************Felli*****Rodwell***********

Gueye**********Ossie************Baines

***********Cahill*********Saha*************

Strikers can be mixed around, Barkley to come in for Ossie occasionally and Coleman for Maggie

Edited by Matt

Thought he was very direct when he came on, couple of ventures into the box. Anyway, hes played a total of 90 mins for us, think its too soon to write him off or even form an opinion (same applies for Vellios)

I agree. I thought he does try and get at defenders. Maybe Saturday he was more concerned with trying to keep possession

Back on topic, if we are going to do that we should go 352 (been spouting this for ages). Think Mark has a good point regarding Baines on the wing though. Id like to line up:

******************Howard******************

*****Johnny *****Jags ********Distin

**************Felli*****Rodwell***********

Gueye**********Ossie************Baines

***********Cahill*********Saha*************

Strikers can be mixed around, Barkley to come in for Ossie occasionally and Coleman for Maggie

We used to play with 3 defenders once I think. I can't remember the exact time, but I'm quite sure it was so.

I like baines at left back, he's tireless constantly running up and down the sideline. Personally I'd leave him there until he can develop a proper relationship with the left winger. Maybe the problem has been that he's never got the same person playing in front of him? I'd like to see baines/drenthe or baines/gueye working the left wing and creating the same problems baines/pienaar did in previous seasons.

can't dribble enough to be a winger..same reason i want coleman as a right back at some point soon...baines is great at running onto the ball into space as romey said..also good at running onto it from deep and takin a couple players on..i couldn't see him dribbling his way through though and to play him at right mid would waste his crossing talents i think

that seems a tad harsh there Rom, he has hardly played more than 1/2hr in the games he has come on in.

He played the full 120 minutes againt WBA and was woeful

Still I agree its a bit early to write him off especially considering the lack of football hes had this year

But back to the question being asked ih this thread.

Baines is most definitely a defender !

Moysie gets enough flack in here for playing players out of position and now you want him to play one of the best left backs in Europe as a winger

He played the full 120 minutes againt WBA and was woeful

Still I agree its a bit early to write him off especially considering the lack of football hes had this year

But back to the question being asked ih this thread.

Baines is most definitely a defender !

Moysie gets enough flack in here for playing players out of position and now you want him to play one of the best left backs in Europe as a winger

His defending leaves a lot to be desired. Hibbert is easily the better defender, where as Baines is a much better attacker. Maybe Baines just needs a hair cut and he'll find form again.

For me, an old fashioned winger would run down the wings and either go all the way to the byline or come inside and venture into the box - hence my favourite player being a certain Peter Barnes - but Steve Coppell was similar on the other wing.

Baines doesn't quite go that far I'd say. He's in the wing back role who will does best from his own third to the opponent's third - but I can't see him truly dribbling past defenders - Perhaps no better epitomised than a younger Ryan Giggs.

No offense to Baines - but he's not in same league (in THAT role). However, I'm sure as hell he'd defend better than Giggs!

I can't say he's the greatest left back ever seen either - but as a hybrid - there are fewer better around. - Cole maybe? but his days are numbered.

There's nothing wrong with not being the absolute best in either position, but being the best compromise.

He'd make it into any other Premier League team right now that's for sure.