IGNORED

No relegation from Premiership?

Sir Alex Ferguson has claimed it would be "suicide" to scrap relegation from the Premier League.

Several of the biggest Barclays Premier League clubs want to do away with relegation and promotion in the top flight, according to League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan.

Bevan claimed the American and Asian owners of Premier League sides are keen on a franchising model.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Aston Villa and Sunderland are all in American hands, Manchester City are run from Abu Dhabi, while other clubs including Chelsea and Blackburn also have foreign investors.

Bevan fears that if more teams change ownership, there could be a vote to abolish relegation, a move which would require the backing of two thirds of Premier League clubs as well as Football Association approval.

However, Ferguson is leading the opposition.

"I don't see where the end product comes in," said the Scot.

"There are at least eight teams in the Championship at the moment with great history.

"What do you say to those eight teams, they can never play in the Premier League?

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/10/17/SOCCER_Premier_League_2nd_Nightlead.html&BID=165

Im with SAF on this one. It would be a nonsense and kill football in the lower leagues stone dead

OK - there ARE leagues where this works and seems to work very well. BUT...

It's NOT the sport we love.

I like women's beach volleyball - works for me... but I'd not want to see Fellaini doing it.

The problem here is that the investors aren't getting the returns they wanted (surprise surprise) and they realise they could actually lose a lot of money! so they're wanting to safeguard their investment. Primarily it's American owners who (as ever) want to turn 'soccer' into something they understand... 4 quarters will be next on the agenda!

On a more serious side, there ARE some merits to it - but they're completely forgetting what makes football so great - competition! giant killings! freak results!

FIFA aren't much better though - they are just being a bit more subtle about it in pretending the CL is an 'open' competition - but know the odds are totally against winning it... esp since they seed the damn thing to make sure the top teams are pretty safe.

This was ALL predicted when the Premier League started (some of your are too young). It's taken 20 years for it to really be obvious, but our game is going the way of American sport. It's now 'entertainment' and not sport. Sport WAS entertaining, but that's not the same as BEING entertainment. Entertainment is when you go home at 5.00 having enjoyed a performance. Sport is when your entire week is made or ruined by the result.

Football is holding back the tears to see your team finally WIN a bloody trophy and wondering if such a day will always be in the memory of your son when you've shuffled off this mortal coil. Football is a lump in your throat when you sing Abide With Me. Football is sparing a thought for the 96 fans whose passion for their team allowed others to treat them like animals and cost them their life. Football is that moment when ALL your worldly worries disappear for a moment as your team finally break the deadlock. Football is taking your son to his first game and seeing the look in their eyes at the spectacle of it all.

Entertainment is when you choose where to go because they have better hotdogs and your wife understands.

Not quite the same - not quite the same at all.

The Premiership itself was nothing more than a group of select clubs taking all the money, so it doesn't surprise me the same clubs would want to protect themselves from not having it any more. Football is a joke off the pitch, and soon it will become a joke on it too if action isn't taken to stop the money men from ruining the game.

I like women's beach volleyball - works for me... but I'd not want to see Fellaini doing it.

The problem here is that the investors aren't getting the returns they wanted (surprise surprise) and they realise they could actually lose a lot of money! so they're wanting to safeguard their investment. Primarily it's American owners who (as ever) want to turn 'soccer' into something they understand... 4 quarters will be next on the agenda!

On a more serious side, there ARE some merits to it - but they're completely forgetting what makes football so great - competition! giant killings! freak results!

FIFA aren't much better though - they are just being a bit more subtle about it in pretending the CL is an 'open' competition - but know the odds are totally against winning it... esp since they seed the damn thing to make sure the top teams are pretty safe.

This was ALL predicted when the Premier League started (some of your are too young). It's taken 20 years for it to really be obvious, but our game is going the way of American sport. It's now 'entertainment' and not sport. Sport WAS entertaining, but that's not the same as BEING entertainment. Entertainment is when you go home at 5.00 having enjoyed a performance. Sport is when your entire week is made or ruined by the result.

Football is holding back the tears to see your team finally WIN a bloody trophy and wondering if such a day will always be in the memory of your son when you've shuffled off this mortal coil. Football is a lump in your throat when you sing Abide With Me. Football is sparing a thought for the 96 fans whose passion for their team allowed others to treat them like animals and cost them their life. Football is that moment when ALL your worldly worries disappear for a moment as your team finally break the deadlock. Football is taking your son to his first game and seeing the look in their eyes at the spectacle of it all.

Entertainment is when you choose where to go because they have better hotdogs and your wife understands.

Sport is a dirty word mate. Look back over history to see what 'sport' derived from. Entertainment is a much dirtier word, especially when the 2 worlds are combined.

Football is a game, and should be kept as a game.

It's also the fans responsibility too.

So long as we keep paying and turning up - we feed the machine.

When we call for a new manager, a new signing, a new 'investor'... we're not blameless in all this.

I'm talking about fans in general, no specific club - we're part of the problem.

We don't WANT it to be a game - we want it to be more. We love the rush, emotion, the anger sometimes.

I half agree it's just a game, but... there's something inside us, something lurking that makes it far more than just a game. And THAT is what the money men love - cos we'll pay 40 quid for a shirt that costs 3 quid to make.

Exactly this.

Very eloquent, for a Manc tongue.pngbiggrin.png